Add these OFFICIAL BORKNAGAR pages

^I'm sure you're in the minority here, but since there certainly are people besides you that don't have those accounts; the band should try to update (have?) its web-site. It was very nice, and I miss the personal feeling one got when accessing it.

Myspace is free, .com's cost money
Myspace can be easily maintained by the bandmembers unskilled in html or whateveritscalled while .com webs require you to produce a website by programming
Myspace is easy accessable by the bandmembers while our .com site is controlled by a person who don't even know how to log in there and close it anymore
You don't need to be a member of anything to enter our Myspace site and check whats going on
I know norwegians are some of the most active users of "social medias", in Norway the only people who don't have a FB profile are either above 60 years or don't have access to a pc. FB sells adds in Norway boasting to have 1.6 mill users in Oslo, while there's only 600 000 people who actually live here!

Myspace can be easily maintained by the bandmembers unskilled in html or whateveritscalled while .com webs require you to produce a website by programming
Myspace is easy accessable by the bandmembers while our .com site is controlled by a person who don't even know how to log in there and close it anymore
You don't need to be a member of anything to enter our Myspace site and check whats going on
I know norwegians are some of the most active users of "social medias", in Norway the only people who don't have a FB profile are either above 60 years or don't have access to a pc. FB sells adds in Norway boasting to have 1.6 mill users in Oslo, while there's only 600 000 people who actually live here!
I completely understand why you see it being beneficial to use something like Myspace over a .com. However I think the point everyone has iterated over and over is that popular social networking sites change all the time. I don't think I know anyone that uses Myspace anymore, so now every band moves to Facebook. And now people are being paranoid about Facebooks data protection, so they're leaving and moving to something else, so should bands move again? It's basically never ending.

If a website is set up correctly then anyone can update it. For instance I use software called Drupal, which allows you to create user accounts for none programmers to update their own website. If web programmers don't provide a system like this then they're screwing you out of money because they know you always how to come back to them to get it updated.

I don't really expect Borknagar to bring back their .com because for them I guess Myspace or w/e else makes sense. I think it's a case of apples and oranges. :lol:

Myspaces are still ranked above FB for music in my observations. Facebook is more for individuals and groups, but then again FB is catching up fast. Either way everything Jens said is true, less hassle for everyone involved with a user friendly thing.

I completely understand why you see it being beneficial to use something like Myspace over a .com. However I think the point everyone has iterated over and over is that popular social networking sites change all the time. I don't think I know anyone that uses Myspace anymore, so now every band moves to Facebook. And now people are being paranoid about Facebooks data protection, so they're leaving and moving to something else, so should bands move again? It's basically never ending.

If a website is set up correctly then anyone can update it. For instance I use software called Drupal, which allows you to create user accounts for none programmers to update their own website. If web programmers don't provide a system like this then they're screwing you out of money because they know you always how to come back to them to get it updated.

I don't really expect Borknagar to bring back their .com because for them I guess Myspace or w/e else makes sense. I think it's a case of apples and oranges. :lol:

I completely agree with you, most bands now have FB, Twitter and MySpace. Which one will be the next? It's time consuming (at least for me) to start creating a new profile for every new site that comes out every year. It's a never-ending vicious cycle. If bands want to send updates they can easily do it through newsletters, which are much nicer than receiving a Facebook or whatever message.

I know Norwegians are some of the most active users of "social medias", in Norway the only people who don't have a FB profile are either above 60 years or don't have access to a pc. FB sells adds in Norway boasting to have 1.6 mill users in Oslo, while there's only 600 000 people who actually live here!

The stats that you wrote are very interesting, but I think it's worth the money to pay for the .com. Even more, Kazaum himself, if I'm not mistaken, has offered to manage Vintersorg's site. I think there're some fans willing to help out the band in this sense. And even more, as Kazaum explained, the band members can now easily edit the site.

I still use MySpace, but I rarely access it, I'd say once a month at the most. Then again, MySpace is purposeless now because all of my friends have moved to FB or Twitter. My only true friends are the bands that update their profile :cry: .

Yeah, Myspace is useless if you use it to spam your newsfed and that's the only channel you have. Just enter the Borknagar site and have a look at the comments, it's ridiculous. It's 99% bands who spam their news, the few fan comments just drown inbetween.
I lost access to my personal myspace many months ago, I have no idea why. And I simply couldn't care less.

But Myspace as a web where you can enter without logging in and check out some bands music is simply brilliant and unchallenged. This is what we use it for.

Facebook is a phenomenon noone believed in because we already had Myspace, but guess what,...
But I expect FB to loose it's flow when the commercial mechanisms hit too hard and people starts to get fed up with advertizements and surveys and messages from the cheesfactory about what is new. At some point someone will "invent" a pure message system and we'll be back to MSN again like 5 years ago...

But .com's are out of date, only works if you have a big band with a big label behind you who can employ some guy to maintain this stuff. We had 3 people already to take care of this over the years, and while it's been quite good in periods, it's not sufficient. Right now I wish I could somehow erase the borknagar.com site. It's more a disgrace and source of wrong information.

I agree. I think that in the end, we are able to get our message across to all fans easily enough now....between the die-hards on here, the bulk fans on myspace and the fans who have to do the up to the minute thing on FB, Id say we have it all covered pretty well without a .com.

Unlike most bands out there today, ALL of the Borknagar sites are run and managed by the band....and really, I dont think many bands are as hands on as we are. Its hard to get a hold of 1 person in most bands, where here, you can talk with almost all of us....so in the end, you guys have an advantage.

It's great to get your message with the click of a button across people from all over the world, but I don't think that most people who have added you on myspace/facebook/twitter actually are fans of the music and the band, despite the fact that it says they're a "fan" according to facebook.

It's funny that you mention that.
Did Borknagar signing with Indie Records have anything to do with the decision to scrap the official site and move on to social media? Because exactly the same thing happened to Red Harvest.
They had this huge website called redharvestplanet.com, run by fans who were in direct contact with some band members. It had everything, the usual stuff like bio/discography, but also a lot of cool fan photo's and reviews, merch photo's, tour archive, fan mail and guestbook entries dating back 10 years ago etc. etc. It was a perfect example of what a band website should be like, in my opinion.
Then they sign with Indie Records in 2008, and the website disappeared!
I, as a die-hard RH fan, would have definitely wanted to chip in a few bucks to keep it alive if they had at least told us in advance they were planning to take it down :( It really doesn't make any sense. I became a fan of that band solely by browsing that site for hours every day and checking everything out, to get to know more about them (and that was even before I knew I was gonna see them when they toured with Arcturus, in 2005). The band's or label's decision to delete everything is really just shooting yourself in the foot by preventing new fans to get to know you more, because there is no way a myspace/facebook/twitter/wikipedia page can be as informative as an official website with a decent archive (worth mentioning: that's something that the Borknagar website has always lacked, as far as I remember).

It's great to get your message with the click of a button across people from all over the world, but I don't think that most people who have added you on myspace/facebook/twitter actually are fans of the music and the band, despite the fact that it says they're a "fan" according to facebook.

It's funny that you mention that.
Did Borknagar signing with Indie Records have anything to do with the decision to scrap the official site and move on to social media? Because exactly the same thing happened to Red Harvest.
They had this huge website called redharvestplanet.com, run by fans who were in direct contact with some band members. It had everything, the usual stuff like bio/discography, but also a lot of cool fan photo's and reviews, merch photo's, tour archive, fan mail and guestbook entries dating back 10 years ago etc. etc. It was a perfect example of what a band website should be like, in my opinion.
Then they sign with Indie Records in 2008, and the website disappeared!
I, as a die-hard RH fan, would have definitely wanted to chip in a few bucks to keep it alive if they had at least told us in advance they were planning to take it down :( It really doesn't make any sense. I became a fan of that band solely by browsing that site for hours every day and checking everything out, to get to know more about them (and that was even before I knew I was gonna see them when they toured with Arcturus, in 2005). The band's or label's decision to delete everything is really just shooting yourself in the foot by preventing new fans to get to know you more, because there is no way a myspace/facebook/twitter/wikipedia page can be as informative as an official website with a decent archive (worth mentioning: that's something that the Borknagar website has always lacked, as far as I remember).

Wardruna is signed to Indie and they have an awesome .com site.

Yeah, Myspace is useless if you use it to spam your newsfed and that's the only channel you have. Just enter the Borknagar site and have a look at the comments, it's ridiculous. It's 99% bands who spam their news, the few fan comments just drown inbetween.
I lost access to my personal myspace many months ago, I have no idea why. And I simply couldn't care less.

But Myspace as a web where you can enter without logging in and check out some bands music is simply brilliant and unchallenged. This is what we use it for.

Facebook is a phenomenon noone believed in because we already had Myspace, but guess what,...
But I expect FB to loose it's flow when the commercial mechanisms hit too hard and people starts to get fed up with advertizements and surveys and messages from the cheesfactory about what is new. At some point someone will "invent" a pure message system and we'll be back to MSN again like 5 years ago...

But .com's are out of date, only works if you have a big band with a big label behind you who can employ some guy to maintain this stuff. We had 3 people already to take care of this over the years, and while it's been quite good in periods, it's not sufficient. Right now I wish I could somehow erase the borknagar.com site. It's more a disgrace and source of wrong information.

I agree. I think that in the end, we are able to get our message across to all fans easily enough now....between the die-hards on here, the bulk fans on myspace and the fans who have to do the up to the minute thing on FB, Id say we have it all covered pretty well without a .com.

Unlike most bands out there today, ALL of the Borknagar sites are run and managed by the band....and really, I dont think many bands are as hands on as we are. Its hard to get a hold of 1 person in most bands, where here, you can talk with almost all of us....so in the end, you guys have an advantage.

Oh well it's definitely a matter of perspective, then. But I'm glad the band manages all the sites, it's something that I really appreciate and take into account. The fact that the band members even post here also makes me feel special (awwww), few bands do that, so thanks.

I think this a simple case of agree to disagree. :lol:

Haha indeed! :lol:

Oh well it's definitely a matter of perspective, then. But I'm glad the band manages all the sites, it's something that I really appreciate and take into account. The fact that the band members even post here also makes me feel special (awwww), few bands do that, so thanks.

Haha indeed! :lol:

Yes, is really cool that the band member maneger their own sites coz that let us see how much they love the band and (us)his fans. That make us feel really close to the band. I think is great....
Im agree with some posts who talk about the necessity of an "only site" to have acces to all the information and news about the band....but, if that makes the band be away of the fans....i preffer this :p