Adrenaline Mob

At this point I think Symphony X should just call it quits. I don't think I've listened to or cared to listen to Paradise Lost in more than a year, and I can't even remember the songs on Iconoclast save for two or three. Compare this to how good almost every song on the old albums were equally amazing and good. DWOT, Twilight, V, and the Odyssey most of us love all the songs because they're all pretty damn good, or at least people like 75% of the songs.

Symphony X is done. I will continue enjoying their old albums and showing all my friends how incredible they are on those albums.

Lol, sure they should stop when they are gaining more success and earning more money than ever before..

When a band moves on to something that you no longer enjoy, it is time for YOU to call quits and move on to listen to other music. Let them keep on doing whatever they do for as long as they want to.

Lol, sure they should stop when they are gaining more success and earning more money than ever before..

When a band moves on to something that you no longer enjoy, it is time for YOU to call quits and move on to listen to other music. Let them keep on doing whatever they do for as long as they want to.

No, I'd rather SX cater to my needs.

Lol, this thread...

So I acquired a copy of the album a few days ago. Overall, it's almost as good as Iconoclast. There are two ballads. Everything else is hard rock turned up to 11. Russell's performance is killer. I'd have to say that it's more dynamic than on Iconoclast. Definitely check it out if you're a fan of his.

Lol, this thread...

So I acquired a copy of the album a few days ago. Overall, it's almost as good as Iconoclast. There are two ballads. Everything else is hard rock turned up to 11. Russell's performance is killer. I'd have to say that it's more dynamic than on Iconoclast. Definitely check it out if you're a fan of his.

Not a ringing endorsement, since Iconoclast was awful as far as I'm concerned. I sure wish Russ would get back to singing and stop the screaming shit.

I just listened to the first six tracks on Omertá, and wow... I thought everything on Iconoclast sounded the same. What a massive waste of my time. Emotionless, boring, uninspired, generic... all words that come to mind when listening to this garbage. The only track that was even remotely decent was the ballad, but it was still as generic as possible. A few of the other songs were a bit listenable, but why on earth would they think that the songs Psychosane and Feelin' Me were good ideas? Russ sounds like a whiny teenager fed up with the cruel world; the constant cursing and immature "get in my way and I'll crush you" lyrics are pathetic. Of course, since this is obviously meant to be marketed to said teenagers, perhaps they'll have a hit on their hands. But I certainly hope not; Russ needs to focus on Symphony X and forget this group of losers. As for Portnoy, if I didn't know it was him drumming I never would have known. So unbelievably boring.

And what's with the guitar player's solos, anyway? Don't get me wrong; I'm glad there are solos (since they're not common in the nu-metal trash they're trying to emulate), but all he seems to do is play around with effects as opposed to crafting licks with feeling. People bag on the wankiness of progressive music all the time for musicians "showing off," but I get that vibe much more with this guy's solos than I do anything in Symphony X or other progressive bands. What a snoozefest.

excellent advice.

manticore999 said:
I sure wish Russ would get back to singing and stop the screaming shit.

Everyone does. Still, it works better in this band than in Symphony X.

Feelin' Me ... Russ sounds like a whiny teenager fed up with the cruel world; the constant cursing and immature "get in my way and I'll crush you" lyrics are pathetic.

Haha, I knew you'd have something to say about that song. Lol, that chorus. "Freight Train" is worse though.

As for Portnoy, if I didn't know it was him drumming I never would have known. So unbelievably boring.

His drumming definitely stands out in comparison to drummers in the other bands who make this type of music. You really must not listen to any non-prog hard rock or metal. I mean, his job in this band is basically just to keep a 4/4 beat. "Hit the Wall" (this goes for most songs, but just check this one out again) has some excellent patterns and fills.

And what's with the guitar player's solos, anyway? Don't get me wrong; I'm glad there are solos (since they're not common in the nu-metal trash they're trying to emulate), but all he seems to do is play around with effects as opposed to crafting licks with feeling.

What? There's a ton of feel and melody in Mike Orlando's solos. He doesn't let loose and shred as much as he could, if anything. I thought this would be the one thing most people agree on even if they didn't dig the songs themselves. Listen to a few of Portnoy's other recordings if you want to know what "licks without feeling" sound like.

Anyway, I've never seen such a strong case for the importance of mixing. The difference between the album tracks and the EP versions is unreal. The verses on "Believe Me" are the best example, imo. I hated that song before. At lot of times, it sounded like Russ was just completely over-the-top screaming, but now the guitars have much more presence, the drums are more powerful and it all comes together and works perfectly. His vocals are so intense, yet incredibly melodic at the same time. Amazing stuff.

^--- :lol:

I sure wish Russ would get back to singing and stop the screaming shit.

Everyone does.

No, not everyone. He sounds amazing no matter how he sings (yes, sings). Having a bit more of the clean stuff on the next album would be nice, though.

What? There's a ton of feel and melody in Mike Orlando's solos. He doesn't let loose and shred as much as he could, if anything. I thought this would be the one thing most people agree on even if they didn't dig the songs themselves.

I've only bothered to listen to Undaunted and Indifferent, but based on those two I agree. The solos are the only gleam of light in an otherwise hopeless pit of suck.

I certainly don't like Orlando's soloing style, this has been confirmed after listening to Adrenaline Mob. Not interested in Portnoy and have been for a while now. And nope, I won't like this band just because Russel is in it.

Today when I was driving home, Undaunted was on radio and I had no idea it was Adrenaline Mob at first. Took quite a while before I even recognized it's Russell singing cos he sounds so different on this. Well ok, around 10 seconds, but that's quite a long time considering he's my favorite vocalist. I was almost headbanging to it before I realized I've heard this stuff before. It's not THAT bad afterall, I guess. It's really not what I'd usually listen to, but it could be worse. Atleast it sounded somewhat good on radio, haha.

I don't really know about this Orlando dude. I might not like his style much. Portnoy is ok. He's probably 8 times better than any drummer you'd usually expect playing this kind of music.

Seems that they're actually coming to Finland in june. I'd much rather have them swapped with Symphony X though.

Today when I was driving home, Undaunted was on radio

Sweet merficul crap, they're getting played on a major Finnish (I assume) radio channel during the afternoon already? I've only heard SX on a major Finnish radio channel once (Smoke and Mirrors) and that was late in the evening, I think.

I swear if this leads to SX being referred to as "that band the singer from Adrenaline Mob is also in", well, I won't like it.

Portnoy is ok. He's probably 8 times better than any drummer you'd usually expect playing this kind of music.

Part of me respects him for leaving the wankers in DT to play music that isn't written using advanced calculus formulas, but the other part of me thinks he's an idiot for joining this particular band. For a man who is used to having three kick drums, 12 china cymbals, 128 octobans, and a fucking gong as part of his kit, this groove-based style of music would be a somewhat welcome change if it weren't for the fact that the songs suck.

I'll have to listen to Orlando's solos again, but from memory, the typical structure sounded like this to me:

Effects, more effects, a few actual notes, effect that sounds like annoying keyboard patch, a few more notes, effect that sounds like someone being strangled with a zipper, a little bluesy lick, end.

Just not my style. I believe actual notes and licks should carry a solo, not a bunch of spaced-out effects. I like part of the solo in Undaunted (an ascending natural minor line, I believe), but everything else was forgettable. I'll listen again.

I swear if this leads to SX being referred to as "that band the singer from Adrenaline Mob is also in", well, I won't like it.

If this band lasts more than a year or two I'll be surprised. To me it seems that this style of music was something that was popular in the late 90s and early 2000s, not now. But perhaps I'm just deluding myself.

Sweet merficul crap, they're getting played on a major Finnish (I assume) radio channel during the afternoon already? I've only heard SX on a major Finnish radio channel once (Smoke and Mirrors) and that was late in the evening, I think.

I went to their webpage and was about to type quite a few lines of furious feedback about it, but I was able to get a hold of myself in the end. Doubt they'll be playing SX much, no matter what I'd tell them. Gotta admit Adrenaline Mob sounds very radio friendly, so that's probably why they seem to be excited about it.

As for actually hearing SX on radio - It's probably that one radio host, Klaus Fleming, who plays "less popular" music in late evenings. I've heard SX a few times in his show. He plays some good stuff on wednesdays and especially thursdays. I've actually picked up some nice bands from his show.

If this band lasts more than a year or two I'll be surprised. To me it seems that this style of music was something that was popular in the late 90s and early 2000s, not now. But perhaps I'm just deluding myself.
I just read an interview where Portnoy talks about the band as it was the next coming of Jesus, and something like "yeah all of us had our earlier projects but now we can turn a new chapter in our lives and careers". Also, I think there's an increasing demand for this kind of music actually, atleast in europe. Don't really know if I should be worried about this, but I hope you're right.

If this band lasts more than a year or two I'll be surprised.

That's what I originally thought, but the attention they've been getting worries me, as do the enthusiastic statements of Portnoy and that guy that was in Disturbed.

As for actually hearing SX on radio - It's probably that one radio host, Klaus Fleming, who plays "less popular" music in late evenings.

Yeah, it was. The channel is generally pretty horrible but that guy is awesome.

Russell Allen on Adrenaline Mob:

"I know some of the fans maybe were upset or whatever, but I’m not trying to make music for Symphony X and Dream Theater fans. I’m making music for myself. And there’s a lot of people in the world who like rock and I’m one of them. I don’t want the fans to be upset or whatever, but I can’t control how they feel, there’s trolls all over the place and on the internet. They’re going to say what they’re going to say because that’s just them."

http://www.metalinsider.net/intervi...mobs-russell-allen-im-making-music-for-myself