Advice for a first-timer?

Kazi

Photographer
See title. I'll be going to center stage from Georgia Tech and just wanted to know if anyone had any general advice about the festival. I know it's still a ways off, but I'm getting pumped up for it already.

1. Bring money.

2. Pace yourself, especially if you're drinking. It's a loooong day.

3. Bring more money than you were thinking, back at #1. You WILL find things you want.

4. Bring earplugs. You don't have to use them but it's good to have the option. (I won't attend any show without them now.)

5. Find one of us who has Forum nametags at the fest (Dave normally makes them at the Exploding Ned's table, and I carry a supply, too, with Sharpies) and feel free to introduce yourself to other Forum-folk. And anyone else, for that matter. As Glenn has said, "The ProgPower audience is an elite audience"......which kinda translates as, "everyone really gets along pretty well." :)

6. Bring a Sharpie. And CD liners from the bands, to get signed. A small belt-pouch works nicely for this (with some stiff cardboard to keep the liners from getting bent up).

7. If you run into Ralf Scheepers, apologize profusely to "General Zod" and run away. :lol:

8. Bring even more money. Or go back to your dorm and get more. :)

BTW, it's good to see another metal fan here from GaTech besides Brian and Katie. I'm one of the deejays for WREKage, the weekly metal radio show, which originates at GT. :headbang:

2. Pace yourself, especially if you're drinking. It's a loooong day.
Or simply drink Grey Goose & Red Bull.

4. Bring earplugs. You don't have to use them but it's good to have the option. (I won't attend any show without them now.)
Seconded. Every so often, you get a band who is ridiculously loud for the size of the venue.

7. If you run into Ralf Scheepers, apologize profusely to "General Zod" and run away. :lol:
:heh:

Zod

And for gosh sakes wear comfortable shoes, you may be standing for a long time.

be ready to have a hella good time, meet a shit-ton of people...and forget the names of most people you meet ;)

i STILL can't remember the names of all everyone i have met :saint:

When you see Biffle walking around, simply ignore any urges you may have of assaulting him. It's normal. :lol: If he tries to communicate with you, walk away. Chances are he'll be intoxicated and may try to make out with you.

Thanks for all the advice. I won't be drinking, but will definitely plan ahead money-wise and look into getting some earplugs.

even the cheapy ones that you can get from vending machines at some venues are better than nothing...or you can go to your local guitar store and pick up a pair.

and seriously, watch for the thread from AMBR (i think?) about getting your photo on the forum poster that is displayed every year. it's a big help

and don't be afraid to talk - even if you're shy (like i am :saint: )

Thanks for all the advice. I won't be drinking, but will definitely plan ahead money-wise and look into getting some earplugs.

A think there's a number of us who own the Ety Plugs. I highly recommend them over the cheapo foam ones. They protect your ears without drowning out everything. You can get them for cheaper than $12 if you look around. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER20-CCCa-Clear-Fidelity/dp/B0015WNZ9K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236193499&sr=8-5"]Amazon[/ame] has them for just over $10.
I keep a pair on my key chain with the provided plastic case at all times so I never forget them.

i STILL can't remember the names of all everyone i have met :saint:

Hi, I'm MetalRose. You may remember me from such ProgPowers as V, with chain maille, PPVI with Bubble Wrap, PPVII with a coconut bra, PPVIII for wearing hand cuffs....

And for the new comers...

1. $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
2. Good comfortable shoes.
3. DISPOSABLE or 35MM camera. NO digital cameras as they have been allowed the last few years.
4. Ear Plugs
5. Business cards if you have them. They are awsome when you meet people.
6. Submit a picture for the "poster" and make sure to review the faces.
7. Don't be afraid to ask, "Do you post on the forums?"
8. Don't be afraid to join in conversations, discussions, etc.
9. Friday night is corset night for the ladies, kilt night for men. (Optional)
10. Best quotes of the weekend get posted.
11. If you see a girl who's dressed in something totally off the wall or doing something totally freaking outrageous it'll most likely be me... :)
(standing on the bar flashing is excludeded, I do have a little class. )
12. If any of the band memembers passes out, er, falls asleep in your room, don't call Glenn. But take lots and lots of pictures.
Anything else I fogot?

-MetalRose

If you see two old geezers talking and staring, then that is most likely J-Dubya and Me, if you see 3 old geezers talking then it is the same two plus Pellaz

If you see two old geezers talking and staring, then that is most likely J-Dubya and Me, if you see 3 old geezers talking then it is the same two plus Pellaz

*Spittake*

Here's Johnny!

ProgPowerThankYou005.jpg

-MetalRose

you just had to show that didn't you???? Miss you and can't wait to see you this wear, and i do have the kilt for this year.

you just had to show that didn't you???? Miss you and can't wait to see you this wear, and i do have the kilt for this year.

I know I miss you too. That was at the airport after your first ProgPower. I just have to make sure that people are prepared. IF you'd like I can show the video of you in the wheelchair chasing after the bird...

Hey PM me with your phone numbers and stuff. I lost them in the phone change over.

The other thing I forgot to mention:

The "saved seating" is always a pain. A lot of us have the "I'm sitting here until someone comes back/ this chair has been empty for 3 sets" rule.

-MetalRose

Some good advices on here, all though i consider myself "PP experienced". I'm a first-timer to PPUS, but i've been to the PPUK, Europe and Scandinavian ones. Looking for to check out this edition and (most likely) find out that the US one got the same spirit and great atmosphere as the ones i've been to in Europe.

:headbang::kickass:

Hi, I'm MetalRose. You may remember me from such ProgPowers as V, with chain maille, PPVI with Bubble Wrap, PPVII with a coconut bra, PPVIII for wearing hand cuffs....

And for the new comers...

1. $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
2. Good comfortable shoes.
3. DISPOSABLE or 35MM camera. NO digital cameras as they have been allowed the last few years.
4. Ear Plugs
5. Business cards if you have them. They are awsome when you meet people.
6. Submit a picture for the "poster" and make sure to review the faces.
7. Don't be afraid to ask, "Do you post on the forums?"
8. Don't be afraid to join in conversations, discussions, etc.
9. Friday night is corset night for the ladies, kilt night for men. (Optional)
10. Best quotes of the weekend get posted.
11. If you see a girl who's dressed in something totally off the wall or doing something totally freaking outrageous it'll most likely be me... :)
(standing on the bar flashing is excludeded, I do have a little class. )
12. If any of the band memembers passes out, er, falls asleep in your room, don't call Glenn. But take lots and lots of pictures.
Anything else I fogot?

-MetalRose

Metal, i would NEVER forget you...we shared cleavage commentary last year...and i have pictures to prove it :saint: