Advice for a first-timer?

*Spittake*

Here's Johnny!

ProgPowerThankYou005.jpg

-MetalRose

CLASSIC !!! Love the new Vehicle, John.

be ready to have a hella good time, meet a shit-ton of people...and forget the names of most people you meet ;)

i STILL can't remember the names of all everyone i have met :saint:

Yeah, I often have trouble matching names to faces...or if I do manage, it's about three seconds AFTER it would have been useful. :)

When you see Biffle walking around, simply ignore any urges you may have of assaulting him. It's normal. :lol: If he tries to communicate with you, walk away. Chances are he'll be intoxicated and may try to make out with you.

Or just yell "3 minutes and 12 seconds!" :heh:

]
1. $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
2. Good comfortable shoes.
3. DISPOSABLE or 35MM camera. NO digital cameras as they have been allowed the last few years.
Dang, forgot about camera advice.

5. Business cards if you have them. They are awsome when you meet people.

Brilliant idea. Every year, I regret not having something to hand out.

Sidebar: they have these really nifty automated kiosks in the UK that will make 5, 10 or 20 business cards for you, on the spot, for surprisingly little money (US$5 or so). Dangit, I wish someone would deploy those here!

7. Don't be afraid to ask, "Do you post on the forums?"
8. Don't be afraid to join in conversations, discussions, etc.

Yep, we're a pretty decent bunch to talk to.

12. If any of the band memembers passes out, er, falls asleep in your room, don't call Glenn. But take lots and lots of pictures.

"Are there two of you there? Yeah? Okay: you take his arms, the other guy pick up his feet, and toss him into the hallway." :lol:

If you see two old geezers talking and staring, then that is most likely J-Dubya and Me, if you see 3 old geezers talking then it is the same two plus Pellaz

Eh, what? *turns up his hearing aid* Oh, yeah, that'd be us. :heh:

Something that I have learned over the years of going to Progpower is to check out all of the bands, even if you havent heard of them. That is how I discovered some killer shit that I am still listening to! Glenn and Shane know what they are doing when they pick the bands! I can honestly say that there hasnt been a single act that I walked out on after 15 minutes!

Christian

If you see two old geezers talking and staring, then that is most likely J-Dubya and Me, if you see 3 old geezers talking then it is the same two plus Pellaz

LOL! And for the record, J-Man doesn't need a wheelchair, he's gotten himself a shiny new Hoveround! (but he gets pissed if you let all the air out of the tires!) :D

Some good advices on here, all though i consider myself "PP experienced". I'm a first-timer to PPUS, but i've been to the PPUK, Europe and Scandinavian ones. Looking for to check out this edition and (most likely) find out that the US one got the same spirit and great atmosphere as the ones i've been to in Europe.

:headbang::kickass:

I haven't been to any of the others, would love to be in Copenhagen for Freak Kitchen though, but I'm willing to bet The Su's life savings that the spirit & comraderie is there, and I KNOW it exists at the Atlanta fest, been to every one, and it started even at PPUSA 1.0! You'll have an awesome time!
Make sure to say hi if we bump into each other!

What's the opposite of "pleading the 5th"?

-Metal

um..."The Fine Art of Being Metal Rose or The Su" ((c) all rights reserved). i think that about sums up the opposite of "reserving the right to not self-incriminate" ;)

I haven't been to any of the others, would love to be in Copenhagen for Freak Kitchen though, but I'm willing to bet The Su's life savings that the spirit & comraderie is there, and I KNOW it exists at the Atlanta fest, been to every one, and it started even at PPUSA 1.0! You'll have an awesome time!
Make sure to say hi if we bump into each other!

snarfle...J-Dub, i heart you. and thanks for using me as a wager...i think ;)

advice: for the business card thing, vistaprint usually has a deal where you can get like...250 business cards (of varying degress of coolness) for like $5.95. order a month before you need them, so you have them. that's how the Reverend got her cards :)

There's some great advice here. I'll just reiterate the ones I found most important as (recently) fellow college student.

Don't break the camera rule.
Comfy shoes.
Start saving early... you will want to spend money. Especially if hard to get CDs are your thing.
Walk by the Nightmare records table often. Lance is a really nice, and they usually have an iPod set up blaring some band you'll fall in love with and want to buy a CD from on the spot.
Don't be afraid to talk to strangers. I haven't met anyone I didn't like at ProgPower yet.

I can't remember exactly. I'd say he owes you at least 5 or 6. :heh:

Too bad Kazi sounds too young for the rule to apply to him. Otherwise you might not have to pay for a drink all weekend. :)

Get in line at least an hour before the doors open, else you'll be stuck with some crappy seats, or on the floor all night. Our group usually gets in line early, grab some decent seats, and we take turns going down front for what we deem requisite bands to do so.

Get in line at least an hour before the doors open, else you'll be stuck with some crappy seats, or on the floor all night. Our group usually gets in line early, grab some decent seats, and we take turns going down front for what we deem requisite bands to do so.

I'm going by myself so I'll probably spend a majority of the time on the floor and try and score a seat when I can. Is it relatively easy to get in and out of the venue to store merchandise in a car/is that a good idea?

some of the best advice I can give you...

Know that you can't do everything. Sacrifices will have to be made. You may have to miss Band X's signing session to catch Band Y, and on your way in to see Band Y, you may see members of Band A hanging at the bar. Since Band A is your favorite on the bill, you want to stop and say "Hi!", therefore missing some of Band Y. Or if you want to go back to your room/car to store merch, you may have to miss a little of a set, depending.

Does that make sense?

Many friends of mine have gotten overwhelmed their first year because they want to make sure they experience EVERYTHING, then they get upset when they realize they have to make choices about who to miss for what reason.

And unless you want to spend an hour on the crapper and miss a band's whole set, avoid the bar pizza.:ill:

and like many others said on this thread, beware of the Biffle!

Yep, that is great advice. If there is a particular band you want to see, there will usually be a signing session for them. You will get a nice booklet when you enter the show and it will have the times for the signing. Many bands also just "hang out" after their set to talk to fans. In fact, there are metal "celebrities" everywhere. Lance King and Urban Breed are regulars at PPUSA for example.

Bryant

some of the best advice I can give you...

Know that you can't do everything. Sacrifices will have to be made. You may have to miss Band X's signing session to catch Band Y, and on your way in to see Band Y, you may see members of Band A hanging at the bar. Since Band A is your favorite on the bill, you want to stop and say "Hi!", therefore missing some of Band Y. Or if you want to go back to your room/car to store merch, you may have to miss a little of a set, depending.

Does that make sense?

Many friends of mine have gotten overwhelmed their first year because they want to make sure they experience EVERYTHING, then they get upset when they realize they have to make choices about who to miss for what reason.

And unless you want to spend an hour on the crapper and miss a band's whole set, avoid the bar pizza.:ill:

and like many others said on this thread, beware of the Biffle!

I'm going by myself so I'll probably spend a majority of the time on the floor and try and score a seat when I can. Is it relatively easy to get in and out of the venue to store merchandise in a car/is that a good idea?

It's very easy. Just get your hand stamped on the way out and flash it on the way back in. The merchandise tables and biggest bar area is actually outside of security, so they're very good about getting people in and out quickly since there's a constant stream of people.

Since you're alone, it might be a good idea to store your stuff. Like mentioned above, you might miss the first song of a set or never know that you could have talked to Ray Alder in the hallway... so it's up to you if not worrying about a bag full of swag is worth it. Of course, if you're bringing things to have signed then you'll have stuff to hold all night anyway, so then it might be a waste of your time. Just try to park close if you're driving so that it's always an option. While pricey, if you get there early enough to get a spot in the parking garage under the venue then this whole talk becomes a moot point.

Like mentioned above, you might miss the first song of a set or never know that you could have talked to Ray Alder in the hallway...

Good point. You'll keep running into bands all weekend. Most are really cool about talking to you in the hallway or the sidewalk just outside. They're just as happy to come here to perform as you are seeing them. It's a good time had by all, but you'll be tired as shit on Sunday. :lol:

Hi there, appart from al the money you can get, I think there is only one thing all people that go to this fest carry with them, THE HEAVY METAL SPIRIT that is inside us all days of the year, I travelled from MEXICO CITY last year for my first PP and I must say it was the most amazing experience I have had as a metal fan, all people there are great, and for me the most surprising thing is that there are a lot of people in their 30´s or 40´s, I though I was getting old (I´m 38 now) but this made me realize that it doesn´t matter how old are you, metal will live forever in our youg hearts.

SEE YA THERE

Francisco Carrasco

Yep, that is great advice. If there is a particular band you want to see, there will usually be a signing session for them. You will get a nice booklet when you enter the show and it will have the times for the signing. Many bands also just "hang out" after their set to talk to fans. In fact, there are metal "celebrities" everywhere. Lance King and Urban Breed are regulars at PPUSA for example.

Hope URBAN BREED go to PP this year so I can get my TAD MOROSE booklets signed. I miss this dude in TAD MOROSE.

When you see Biffle walking around, simply ignore any urges you may have of assaulting him. It's normal. :lol: If he tries to communicate with you, walk away. Chances are he'll be intoxicated and may try to make out with you.

You are just jealous that I have more fun then you.:loco: