Advice for a new fan?

Black Swan

Nov 11, 2010
Hello all! I have a request for a recommendation which is probably going to sound a little bit weird. I have recently been listening to The Archaic Course and Quintessence and enjoy both. What Borknagar albums or even individual tracks should I look into next, as someone who doesn't generally like harsh vocals?

I promise to keep an open mind and eventually would like to check out the entire catalogue. I just want to start slowly - with tracks that have predominately clean vocals or even 50/50, before working my way to the harsher material.

Vocals preferences are such a personal thing and please understand that I am not trying to disparage harsh vocals or anyone's love for that style of singing. I respect everyone's tastes (I'm a big fan of Geddy Lee, and I know many people can't stand his voice :)). I have really tried over the years to get into it and it's never worked out; I've tried the trick of pretending it's another instrument, etc.

A little bit of background: I love the vocals on the Arcturus album Sideshow Symphonies. I wanted to hear more from Simen Hestnaes which is what led me to The Archaic Course and Quintessence. Besides loving the clean vocals, I've gotten into the albums musically as well and want to explore the band further. Surprisingly, I have discovered that I don't hate the harsh vocals on these two albums. In fact at times I kind of like it. Whoever is handling those vocals doesn't bother me the way everyone else has in the past, so there may yet be hope for me. :)

thanks!

(Another question - does/has Borknagar ever tour North America?)

To be honest, the harsh vocals are a big part of the band and there are some nice melodies injected into the songs but there won't be many songs like Colossus or most of TAC (aside from Origin)... if you like the clean vocals, the singers from various eras of the band all have their own projects in which they did primarily clean vocals (Arcturus/Head Control System/Ulver for Garm, Arcturus for Vortex and Vintersorg/500 other bands for Vintersorg)...

VORTEX ( I know you already know but, incase you haven't checked out the LIVE DVD, it gives you some different songs that he doesnt sing on the album):

VINTERSORG:

GARM:

ENJOY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks everyone. :) Erik and Defiance (nice to see another Geddy fan :)), I'll start with Origin and Empiricism and see how it goes.

To be honest, the harsh vocals are a big part of the band and there are some nice melodies injected into the songs but there won't be many songs like Colossus or most of TAC (aside from Origin)
Colossus is definitely one of my favorites. But oddly (for me), I do like most of that album. Genesis Torn is a song that I really should not like, given my tastes, but I do; and I think the chorus sounds as cool as hell. And now for a stupid question - is that Simen doing those vocals? For some reason, I assumed that he was only doing the clean vocals.

...if you like the clean vocals, the singers from various eras of the band all have their own projects in which they did primarily clean vocals (Arcturus/Head Control System/Ulver for Garm, Arcturus for Vortex and Vintersorg/500 other bands for Vintersorg)...
Ok, I should have done my homework. I didn't realize Garm was also in Borknagar. I don't he's called Garm in the Sham Mirrors credits (and none of the band members are mentioned in the other two). I got a little confused by all of his names, but I've looked them all up and straightened myself out. I like Garm on the Arcturus albums (for the most part). How did he sound with Borknagar? By the way, that Head Control System song you posted is very cool.

While I was doing my research, I found out about My Domain and bought the mp3 from Amazon. Wow. I'm not sure I even have the words to describe his voice or why it affects me so much. (And in the beginning I did not like his voice at all).

VORTEX ( I know you already know but, incase you haven't checked out the LIVE DVD, it gives you some different songs that he doesnt sing on the album):
I hadn't seen the Metalmania video - thanks so much for that. It's nice to get to see the keyboard and bass players a little better. In the dvd they're mostly hidden in the background. I really think their keyboard player is brilliant. I've had a weird history with Arcturus and kind of held back because I saw myself getting attached to them, and why do that with a band that's broken up? I was at ProgPower watching the video when Arcturus was announced and I think my jaw was on the ground. There was no holding back at that point; I got the 2 albums I was missing plus the dvd, which I have probably watched 10 times by now. If something happens and they have to cancel, the band will probably hear me crying all the way from Norway.

VINTERSORG:
I don't think I'm in love with the vocals but I really like the songs.

Thanks so much for all of this; I have a lot of listening to do. :)

If you like Borknagar you should check the members other projects. Some of my favourites which haven't been mentioned are:

Last edited by a moderator:
Colossus is definitely one of my favorites. But oddly (for me), I do like most of that album. Genesis Torn is a song that I really should not like, given my tastes, but I do; and I think the chorus sounds as cool as hell. And now for a stupid question - is that Simen doing those vocals? For some reason, I assumed that he was only doing the clean vocals.
Yes, it is Simen on every track. Some are the result of multiple layered vocals, but clean to harsh, it's all him.

Ok, I should have done my homework. I didn't realize Garm was also in Borknagar. I don't he's called Garm in the Sham Mirrors credits (and none of the band members are mentioned in the other two). I got a little confused by all of his names, but I've looked them all up and straightened myself out. I like Garm on the Arcturus albums (for the most part). How did he sound with Borknagar? By the way, that Head Control System song you posted is very cool.

He sounded great, although he did mostly harsh vocals on the first 2 albums... but some AMAZING songs in Borknagar he did with nice clean vocals are The Eye of Oden, The Dawn of the End, and A Tale of Pagan Tongue. ANd yes, Head COntrol System is an amazing band, there are also PLENTY of bands he has done guest vocals for that are incredible (Look up Fate by Professor Limbo). His best imo is in Arcturus, but I prefer Simen singing the songs.
While I was doing my research, I found out about My Domain and bought the mp3 from Amazon. Wow. I'm not sure I even have the words to describe his voice or why it affects me so much. (And in the beginning I did not like his voice at all).
Welcome to the club. Once you're hooked it's a terrible thing, because he is a very laid back guy :( but he told me a few months back (and a new update today confirms it) his solo CD should be out by Late 2010/Early 2011. I am too excited for that!

I hadn't seen the Metalmania video - thanks so much for that. It's nice to get to see the keyboard and bass players a little better. In the dvd they're mostly hidden in the background. I really think their keyboard player is brilliant. I've had a weird history with Arcturus and kind of held back because I saw myself getting attached to them, and why do that with a band that's broken up? I was at ProgPower watching the video when Arcturus was announced and I think my jaw was on the ground. There was no holding back at that point; I got the 2 albums I was missing plus the dvd, which I have probably watched 10 times by now. If something happens and they have to cancel, the band will probably hear me crying all the way from Norway.

Yeah their live dvd is awful, I wish is was more like the Metalmania recording. The musicians in Arcturus are amazing, and I m really thinking of flying down to Atlanta to see them. I'm just afraid of booking it all and then it falls through, because I'm only going for them.

I don't think I'm in love with the vocals but I really like the songs.

It will grow on you, his work is incredible. To be fair, the songs I posted are "older ones" and his voice has evolved since then. Check out E.S.P Mirage from the Visions from the Spiral Generator album.

I have to weigh in also as a Geddy Lee fan. You are not alone! Even if my parents didn't know what the hell I was listening to!

If you like Borknagar you should check the members other projects.
Thanks. :) I certainly have a lot of listening to do. Everything thing sounds interesting, at the very least. It's probably going to take some time to really explore all of this. I think I'll go through those youtube selections a few more times and try to decide where I want to start first.

Yes, it is Simen on every track. Some are the result of multiple layered vocals, but clean to harsh, it's all him.
Now that's interesting.

He sounded great, although he did mostly harsh vocals on the first 2 albums... but some AMAZING songs in Borknagar he did with nice clean vocals are The Eye of Oden, The Dawn of the End, and A Tale of Pagan Tongue. ANd yes, Head COntrol System is an amazing band, there are also PLENTY of bands he has done guest vocals for that are incredible (Look up Fate by Professor Limbo). His best imo is in Arcturus, but I prefer Simen singing the songs.
So do I. :)

Fate is a beautiful song.

With Borknagar, so far I prefer the tracks from Empiricism to the Garm tracks so I'll continue with Empiricism first.

Welcome to the club. Once you're hooked it's a terrible thing, because he is a very laid back guy :( but he told me a few months back (and a new update today confirms it) his solo CD should be out by Late 2010/Early 2011. I am too excited for that!
That is wonderful news. :) :) And perfect timing for me since I am definitely hooked. I've had Sideshow for 5 years, only loved the vocals for maybe 2 or 3. I don't know how many times I played that album or how many times I'd rewind to hear a particular vocal part. I finally decided I needed to hear more, and now I can't get enough.

Did you do an interview with him? Or does he chat with his fans? I guess some things can't be forced. There are a couple bands I listen to that seem to put out an album every 3-4 years, and while it would be nice not to have to wait so long, if that's how they need to do it then so be it. Of course, if he doesn't release anything for 4 years after this solo album comes out, I'll really need to practice the patience I preach. :)

Yeah their live dvd is awful, I wish is was more like the Metalmania recording. The musicians in Arcturus are amazing, and I m really thinking of flying down to Atlanta to see them. I'm just afraid of booking it all and then it falls through, because I'm only going for them.
The dvd has flaws but I'm happy to have it and to hear all of the old songs. For ProgPower, I recommend that you start looking at hotels now. The best ones are probably booked but I'll send you a PM with some info. You can always wait on the flight and cancel the hotel reservation if needed. I suggest buying a ticket shortly after they go on sale - the festival won't sell out in 5 minutes or anything like that, but most years it does sell out and it's hard to predict when that will happen.

If something happens at the last minute, it'll be awful, but you may just have fun at the festival anyway. I know you'd only be going for Arcturus, but I'd be surprised if you didn't get something out of at least a couple of the other bands. There are always bands that surprise me each year. Of course I really like that kind of music, but still. It's a great atmosphere there and everyone is very nice. I meet up with the same people each year and you'd be welcome to join us.

It will grow on you, his work is incredible. To be fair, the songs I posted are "older ones" and his voice has evolved since then. Check out E.S.P Mirage from the Visions from the Spiral Generator album.
Will do. I don't mind allowing stuff to grow on me - it often winds up being what stays with me the most.

Hei Black Swan and welcome to the forums :)
If you have any questions I'll help you out.
The ICS Vortex album isn't due until March- April next year I guess, still considering labels at this point, although the album itself is all done.
Don't write us off in the States, it's just that in the Borknagar- camp stuff takes a looooong time. Were like the entish band he he...

Hei Black Swan and welcome to the forums :)
If you have any questions I'll help you out.
The ICS Vortex album isn't due until March- April next year I guess, still considering labels at this point, although the album itself is all done.
Don't write us off in the States, it's just that in the Borknagar- camp stuff takes a looooong time. Were like the entish band he he...
Thank you very much for the reply. :) I'm happy to hear that you haven't ruled out coming to the U.S. I know it isn't easy for bands to tour here, but I think it's getting a little better.

I'll try to be patient until March/April. Do you play the guitars on the solo album?

Vortex does vocals, bass, guitars and keys on the album he he. He only has Asgeir doing drums...
Wow. Is it March yet?

Listening update: the Origin and Empiricism recommendations were good ones. I need to listen to Empiricism a little more but so far I can tell that there's a lot of good stuff. Origin is great.