Advice on parts for building a computer...?

mstone564

Jan 21, 2010
I'm really wanting to build my own personal desktop for recording and would like to know every single thing that I would possibly need for it to run smoothly.

I planned on getting an Intel i7 processor (just to go "somewhat" all out) and at least 4 GBs of RAM, unless anybody would recommend 6? Also, I would like to use Windows 7... so would I have to buy that separately as well? (I have another laptop with it installed)

I already have external hard drives and firewire cards, ect. and could find any old monitor to use so the main thing I'm almost clueless about is what mother board, internal hard drive, video card (if necessary?), power supply, and what kind of case I would need, and if I'm missing out on any important things to build a computer?

Just built a PC yesterday:

i5 2500k CPU
Asrock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard
2x 4gb Kingston 1333hz RAM
Sapphire 2GB 6950 Graphics
Patriot Inferno 60GB SSD
Momentus XT 320GB HDD
Corsair HX-650 PSU
Coolermaster 212+ Fan
= $1300 all up, bits n bobs.

An i7 isn't really worth it, get an i5.

i5 2500k CPU
Patriot Inferno 60GB SSD
Momentus XT 320GB HDD
Corsair HX-650 PSU
Coolermaster 212+ Fan

That is a most agreeable setup right there. Is the Sapphire reference? If yes I have the same just a PowerColor. Unlocked shaders FTMFW!

I would however suggest adding a few pennies more for the i7 2600K. Just because it is such a great bit of silicon. But for most intents and purposes the 2500K should do fine. Get a K though, whatever you do. Unlocked multiplier will come in handy a few years down the line.

And yes, although for most gamers 4gb is more than enough, if you intend to use large sample libraries and lots of them, you definitely will want at least 6gb, or better yet, 8. Memory has never been cheaper so there's no reason to be stingy.

Morgan C said:

i5 2500k CPU
Patriot Inferno 60GB SSD
Momentus XT 320GB HDD
Corsair HX-650 PSU
Coolermaster 212+ Fan

I don't mind paying a couple hundred extra for an i7 and 6-8 GBs of RAM, seeing as it can't get THAT much faster until new and improved things come out.

I'm mainly worried about what type of mother board so I don't end up straining it with too much processor speed and the actual installation/building of the computer once I have all the parts.

Another thing, does the case really pay a big part or do they all pretty much function the same with the exception of quality/sturdiness? I'd need one that at least has a PCI slot for my FireWire card and plenty of USB ports.

I'm probably overlooking how simple this is but regardless thanks for the help!

Yeah, the i7 is only $100 more than the i5, so not that much... then again, with $100 you could get an extra 8gb of ram.
Spending the extra money on CPU vs the extra money on RAM is something that has always confused me when it came to audio recording:

This where I'm going to threadjack (I'd rather not start my own thread and it could be useful info) - what affects plugin playspeed the most? (Being able to play back your records with lots of VSTs on it with no skipping) I always thought it was RAM, but I've heard some people say CPU here. The computer I was handed down that I'm using for recording has a Core 2 Quad and 2GB of ram... so good CPU, pretty bad RAM. Take for example one of my projects on Reaper, where is says FX CPU usage is at 120%, but normal CPU usage is only 20%... so is it RAM, because my CPU isn't being used much... and is FX CPU tied to RAM.... so confused

I'm mainly worried about what type of mother board so I don't end up straining it with too much processor speed and the actual installation/building of the computer once I have all the parts.

Another thing, does the case really pay a big part or do they all pretty much function the same with the exception of quality/sturdiness? I'd need one that at least has a PCI slot for my FireWire card and plenty of USB ports.

I'm probably overlooking how simple this is but regardless thanks for the help!

As far as I know any motherboard compatible with your processor should be well... compatible with your processor. Some motherboards handle Overclocking better than others, but you didn't seem to be interestedin that.

A case isn't going to affect the performance of your computer, except in the area of cooling. Some cases have better designs which get rid of heat better, and have more spots for case fans. A computer that overheats is one that runs slower, so you should make sure the heat is under control. Your case should usually come with a case fan, another that fits the empty socket it has wouldn't hurt either.

Pretty much any "mid-tower" or above case will have plenty of room for all the PCI slots you need. Keep in mind a mid tower case is actually way bigger than a normal Dell or similar tower.

What DAW are you using? I don't think all of them are equal when it comes to multicore processing. That is why one core is getting reamed while the total load is insignificant. RAM hasn't got much to do with VSTs unless it's samplers and/or convolution afaik.

If I was buying a case today I would look for something SILENT. Completely sealed, with dampeners, rubber feet and isolation. No nasty fugly gamer junk like the CM HAF and it's brethren.

What DAW are you using? I don't think all of them are equal when it comes to multicore processing. That is why one core is getting reamed while the total load is insignificant. RAM hasn't got much to do with VSTs unless it's samplers and/or convolution afaik.

If I was buying a case today I would look for something SILENT. Completely sealed, with dampeners, rubber feet and isolation. No nasty fugly gamer junk like the CM HAF and it's brethren.

Like I said, Reaper. And I thought Reaper was supposed to be the most efficient one. If I can make the FX CPU use more of the overall CPU... well that'd be ideal. So you're saying I should be alright with my 2GB of RAM? I'm trying to buy an SM7B before I buy more RAM! And yeah, I printed my drum sampler beforehand. Main things is going to be running amp sims, and also Ozone. Putting on Ozone made playback even worse. I'd like to be able to mix into a master bus with effects on it.

And yes, "gamer" cases are junk, trust me, the first computer I built had one! If you can spend the extra money for a brand like Lian Li or Antec, then do so.

Hey there I built this PC a couple of months ago, I already had the video card but you can pick up one of those pretty cheap now a days, I also already had a monitor. These are the specs for my PC and all together it only ran me 780$, sorry I also already had a Windows 7 64 disc, advantage of being an IT professional I guess :) Just keep an eye out on Newegg.com, they typically offer combos that will have everything you'll need to build it yourself.

-Cory

Specs:

Operating System MS Windows 7 64-bit
CPU Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz 42 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM 6.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH X58 (LGA 1366) 31 °C
Graphics Acer G185H (1280x800@60Hz)
256MB Quadro FX 3500 (nVidia) 46 °C
Hard Drives 977GB Seagate ST31000528AS ATA Device (SATA) 29 °C
244GB Western Digital WDC Device (SATA)
Optical Drives HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 ATA Device
Audio M-Audio Fast Track Ultra