building a computer

Haswell is going to be about 10 - 15% faster than todays Ivy Bridge..
They do however have some small issue with USB3.0..
After Haswell I think they're going with a Mobo-CPU combo..

Haswell will also overclock much better and have much better integrated graphics. At this point, if I was considering a new computer and didn't need it RIGHT NOW, I would definitely wait for Haswell.

What size SSD would you recommend? Do I need 120GB+ or can I go with something like 40-60GB?

I'd go for a 250 GB model at least. I have 2 120s in mine running as system drives for OSX and Windows 8, and my Windows 8 drive is almost full just off installing Windows 8, Warcraft 3 (and Frozen Throne expansion), Dead Island, Darkspore, Office 2010 and the motherboard utilities.

I still have to install CS6 Master Collection and Guild Wars 2. I was going to install all my DAWs and plugins on the Windows side too, but I'm honestly thinking I'm not going to have enough space now.

Haswell is going to be about 10 - 15% faster than todays Ivy Bridge..

Where did you hear this?

Most reports I've seen are that the biggest difference is power consumption, which I really don't care about. I know they're supposed to be a little faster, but they're also more expensive from the prices I've seen so far. For such a small increase, I'll stick with my Ivy bridge, especially when I got my 3770K for $220 new :p

I just added a 120gb Samsung SSD and put windows and my programs on it, and the difference is actually very noticeable compared to your standard HDD. My computer boots in literally 10 seconds. Programs load very fast, etc. Don't skip the SSD.

I just added a 120gb Samsung SSD and put windows and my programs on it, and the difference is actually very noticeable compared to your standard HDD. My computer boots in literally 10 seconds. Programs load very fast, etc. Don't skip the SSD.

The more programs you put on it, the more it slows down, it seems. My SSD was blazing fast when I had a fresh install of Win 8 and now my girlfriend's computer that I just got up and running yesterday and is faster, and it's running an older 320GB 7200 RPM HDD :mad:

I'm actually uninstalling things on the SSD right now and reinstalling to the HDD as we speak. I've got everything but Windows, Chrome, motherboard and mouse/keyboard utilities, Flash/Shockwave/Reader/Air, WinRAR and my RME's software on the other drive, and that's still taking up like 60gb. The entire contents of the folders on the SSD only seem to total 21 gb though... WTFz!?! :mad::mad:

The more programs you put on it, the more it slows down, it seems. My SSD was blazing fast when I had a fresh install of Win 8 and now my girlfriend's computer that I just got up and running yesterday and is faster, and it's running an older 320GB 7200 RPM HDD :mad:

I'm actually uninstalling things on the SSD right now and reinstalling to the HDD as we speak. I've got everything but Windows, Chrome, motherboard and mouse/keyboard utilities, Flash/Shockwave/Reader/Air, WinRAR and my RME's software on the other drive, and that's still taking up like 60gb. The entire contents of the folders on the SSD only seem to total 21 gb though... WTFz!?! :mad::mad:

That's odd. I've got my 128 gb SSD half full and the speed hasn't changed at all. What brand is your SSD?

Ok guys, I just pulled the trigger on some parts yesterday. I ended up not going with the SSD as I can upgrade that later on and I'm sort of trying to budget $ right now as work is very slow and I don't have a whole lot of dough to my name, annnnnd I need a new car.

Here's the list of what I got:

CASE CM|RC-922M-KKN3-GP BK RT 1 99.99
MB ASROCK|970 EXTREME4 AM3+ 970 R 1 84.99
PSU COOLERMASTER|RS620-SPM2E3-US RT 1 109.99
AMDGIFT FC3 BDRAGON BSHOCK TRAIDER 1 109.99
MEM 4Gx4|CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9 1 145.99
DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04 % 1 17.99
VGA SAPPHIRE|100355OCL HD7850 2G R 1 199.99
CPU AMD|6-CORE FX-6300 3.5G 8M R 1 139.99
HDD 500G|WD WD5000AUDX % 1 69.99

Totalling just under $900. Still need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'm just excited that I'll have somewhat of a powerful PC compared to what I've been used to working on.

Should be a decent build. Shame you didn't grab an SSD... they are a no brainer at the price point now. I remember splurging £400 on a bleeding edge one years ago.

I haven't considered AMD for the last 10 years in terms of CPU. That doesn't look like it will change to me, but as you have found there are a few decent offerings in the mid range.

Yeah, an SSD would've been totally worth it..
And upgrading later on can be a problem since you probably can't delete with the OS files on the current harddrive without formatting it, which means you probably have to move everything else to a different harddrive..

If you're going with Windows 7 (Don't use anything but a 64bit) don't forget to download the hotfixes for AMD FX series CPUs..

Win7 Professional. And thanks.

As for the SSD, I'm honestly not that worried about how fast my computer boots or how fast programs open. I know it would have been nice, but I'm a bit tight with money and as long as the thing performs as good or better (which I know it will) as my current laptop that I paid $800 for, I'll be more than happy. I just had so many opinions thrown at me and options that I was just unsure of that I stuck with the list of what my bassist sent me.

Ok guys, I just pulled the trigger on some parts yesterday. I ended up not going with the SSD as I can upgrade that later on and I'm sort of trying to budget $ right now as work is very slow and I don't have a whole lot of dough to my name, annnnnd I need a new car.

Here's the list of what I got:

CASE CM|RC-922M-KKN3-GP BK RT 1 99.99
MB ASROCK|970 EXTREME4 AM3+ 970 R 1 84.99
PSU COOLERMASTER|RS620-SPM2E3-US RT 1 109.99
AMDGIFT FC3 BDRAGON BSHOCK TRAIDER 1 109.99
MEM 4Gx4|CORSAIR CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9 1 145.99
DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04 % 1 17.99
VGA SAPPHIRE|100355OCL HD7850 2G R 1 199.99
CPU AMD|6-CORE FX-6300 3.5G 8M R 1 139.99
HDD 500G|WD WD5000AUDX % 1 69.99

Totalling just under $900. Still need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. I'm just excited that I'll have somewhat of a powerful PC compared to what I've been used to working on.

145 for just 8 gb? Seems a little expensive, for a bit more you can buy 16 gb. I would also go for a intel instead a AMD, for that price probably a I5, but that it´s just a matter of choice.

Yeah, an SSD would've been totally worth it..
And upgrading later on can be a problem since you probably can't delete with the OS files on the current harddrive without formatting it, which means you probably have to move everything else to a different harddrive..

He can simply clone his whole computer on the SSD and boot from it !

He can simply clone his whole computer on the SSD and boot from it !

Yeah, though he might have to do the 'repair windows' thingy (fancy technical jargon)..
Also, Windows doesn't want you to delete certain files, and that might be an issue.. to completly remove the files he have to format the drive, which can be a hassle..

I'm doing the 'cloning' thing all the time with several (though the same for each clone) drives, it's fucking awesome..