building a computer

If you get a SSD for OS then also get a 10,000 RPM HDD with high amount of cache.
Get a graphics card, screw the people that are saying that you will not need it.
Get 16gb RAM, software is progressing a lot these days, you may need it in the future.
Get RAM with the highest MHz speed that the motherboard can support and with the lowest CAS Latency
Make sure you get a CPU with a high amount of L3 Cache.
These will give you a high-performance system

Isn't an SSD not only much faster but more cost effective than a 10 000 rpm hdd? I thought they were pretty outdated.

Isn't an SSD not only much faster but more cost effective than a 10 000 rpm hdd? I thought they were pretty outdated.
Actually, the cost per GB of SSD compared to the older HDD can be expensive, hence the reason why we get SSD for the operating system and 10000 RPM HDD for data storage (it is very expensive in my country).

Actually, the cost per GB of SSD compared to the older HDD can be expensive, hence the reason why we get SSD for the operating system and 10000 RPM HDD for data storage (it is very expensive in my country).

I tought you meant to get a 10 000 hd for the os instead of the ssd. Reading comprehension fail.

I just built myself a computer and it cost ~$850 when everything was set and done.

First I bought a Core i5 2400 rig on Craigslist with 16 GB of RAM, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, NZXT H2 case, Windows 8 Pro & Office 2010 Ultimate for $450. Sold my old Athlon II X4 rig for $425. Threw an old 320GB HDD in the i5 rig, put it in a different case and loaded another copy of Windows 8 on it for my girlfriend. Took the SSD and 1TB drive and put it in my new build, which consists of:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i7 3770K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU fan
32 GB g.Skill Ripjaw X
MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti Power Edition
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows 8 Pro)
1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda (storage drive)
120 GB Samsung 840 Pro (OSX Mountain Lion)
1TB 7200 RPM Seagate Barracuda (storage drive)
750W Corsair modular PSU
NZXT H2 case maxed out w/ fans

Totally overkill for what I need, but man is it awesome. Got the CPU overclocked to 4.8 GHz right now and even under full load it doesn't get hotter than my old computer's idle temp - And with the case I have, the thing is nearly inaudible with the fans running full blast :D

I'd diss the video card for a recording computer. They produce two things in that context: heat, and noise. You want neither.

This. If you would like to go the AMD route instead of Intel (I personally go Intel) a friend of mine just built an FM2 rig with on board graphics and plays BF3 on it with settings cranked to high.:kickass:

Not that it matters, just a testament to how much you don't need a GFX if it's going to be a recording computer.

My GTX is silent as well. It actually makes my computer cooler with its tiny fan :p

A graphics card WILL give you better performance for recording though. Not on a video level maybe, but without a dedicated card, your processor takes on the work and dedicates some of its performance to graphic, rather than power for plugins, etc.

Like MatrixClaws specs he posted, you should be able to get something along those lines for under 1000$..

Some things to add in the discussion:
A good motherboard and processor is what to invest in foremost, make sure you get a motherboard with Sata3 (6GB/s)..
I recommend an Intel CPU, ex. the one MatrixClaw mentioned..
I have the 3570K clocked to 4,2Ghz..
It's way better than the AMD FX-4100 I have on my other PC.. that's clocked at around the same speed..

An SSD is not really for storage, it's a drive you put stuff like OS and software to get them to load faster..
I've got a 120GB SSD for just that, and (not extremely necessary) another 120GB SSD for Samples that I want to load fast..
You can boot up in just a few seconds (10 seconds or less) and get to work, software starts basically in an instant as well..
Get a regular HDD with longer warranty (ex. Caviar Black), they're not much more expensive for the quality you get..
I have one HDD for storing music-files and projects, and another HDD for junk, installation files, some samples, mixing articles, etc..

Go for a 64-bit OS, I use Win7 (just a preference) and you can easily use up a lot of RAM..
I've got 16GB of 1600mhz RAM, not the fastest but good enough.. I use 4GB of it as a RAMdrive, basically really fast storage, way more than an SSD..
I use the Ramdrive for misc stuff like tempfiles and as a scratchdisk for bouncing/rendering..
And it's not a bad idea to futureproof your setup in case you get some software that's really RAM-heavy..

I'm assuming you live in the states so this would be way cheaper over there:
http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/3250292/2013-04-19
6995kr = 1075$
You can also get some parts used, like the case and powersupply..
The onboard graphics on the CPU can play modern games on low/med-settings..
I've got a Radeon HD7770 for my other computer that is worth the price, can run a lot of games on max-settings..

Intel will be releasing their new Haswell CPU soon, might want to save up for that..
CPU and Motherboard is hard to futureproof now that it seems that the computer companies are going to combine the two..
And down the line we have the memristor and other innovations coming..

If you're in a tight spot with money, AMD is not a bad route to go, it's just not as fast as Intel.. but you get bang for your buck..

^^it depends, I have the newest AMD flagship model fx 8350, and it's on a par or even better from i3570, especially in multithreaded apps. Eight cores, yummy :)

Essh! All this tech talk and I don't understand half of it! My buddies are telling me I don't realllllly need the SSD and should be ok with say 2 500GB HDDs. Idk....I'm just trying to get a bunch of insight here. I know it sort of comes down to personal preference....I do want a video card and also heard that it can improve performance. it's not going to be strictly for recording, but maybe a few other things....might as well be able to browse the web if I need to instead of setting up a separate computer, etc.

Honestly, as long as it's better than my new(er) Toshiba Satellite L670 I'll be more than happy. I have 2 Toshiba Satellites, 1 older with firewire and 1 newer without firewire, so I was recording on the old one and editing/mixing on the newer one, just hate having to bounce sessions back and forth like that. With my newer laptop, I can have around 25 tracks running with most tracks running a few plugins each before I start to get CPU issues. If I can have enough power to avoid having to print tracks and just mix freely, that'd kick asssss.

But it appears most of you say to go for the SSD. I want to do this right. But these drives are expensive!!

Hey guys I gonna buy also a new pc soon and I want to ask if it´s worth waiting for intel to release the new intel socket this summer?

Because new hardware for 1155 will die when the new socket hit the market. What you guys think?

I do want a video card and also heard that it can improve performance.

Generally, no.. with todays CPU's and onboard GFX there wouldn't be a noticeable difference with a dedicated GFX-card..
But if you want to game and ex. use photoshop, a dedicated card will definatly be better..

But it appears most of you say to go for the SSD. I want to do this right. But these drives are expensive!!

Get the SSD, it will be worth it in so many ways..
I'd rather save up for a couple of more months to get one, than skip it..
You can always get more regular harddrives along the way..
1. It's waaay faster
2. It should last longer than a regular HDD
3. Generates very little heat, if any
4. It's noiseless

Hey guys I gonna buy also a new pc soon and I want to ask if it´s worth waiting for intel to release the new intel socket this summer?

Because new hardware for 1155 will die when the new socket hit the market. What you guys think?

Haswell is going to be about 10 - 15% faster than todays Ivy Bridge..
They do however have some small issue with USB3.0..
After Haswell I think they're going with a Mobo-CPU combo..

What size SSD would you recommend? Do I need 120GB+ or can I go with something like 40-60GB?

Technically the bigger the drive, the faster it is and will last longer..
120GB is enough, I'd say..
It also depends on the games you're gonna install etc. 40-60GB would be too tight since Win7 can get upp to 20GB or a bit over (I think mine is 11GB with some adjustments) then you have your software, vsts, maybe samples..
It can easily get to 70 - 80GB with games etc.
The ones with least problems are Intel, Crucial, Samsung..

Also, SSD's don't need to be defragged (it's bad to do it) and performance will stay pretty much the same throughout usage..

The more space you get the better so you can store not only the OS but your most used programs for example your favorite games, photoshop, daw, web explorer, etc so you get less loading latency. Of course it is going to be more expensive so if you have the money it will be worth it. If not, the 60 gb one should be enough, I got my corsair ssd refurbished for like 40 bucks, I have the OS installed there and some other stuff and it is very fast, I love it. Keep in mind that different drives have different writing/reading speed, the more they have well, the faster they will be. You have to keep in mind that motherboards have speed limits so you should get one that can handle your ssd to its full potential.

Technically the bigger the drive, the faster it is and will last longer..
120GB is enough, I'd say..
It also depends on the games you're gonna install etc. 40-60GB would be too tight since Win7 can get upp to 20GB or a bit over (I think mine is 11GB with some adjustments) then you have your software, vsts, maybe samples..
It can easily get to 70 - 80GB with games etc.
The ones with least problems are Intel, Crucial, Samsung..

Also, SSD's don't need to be defragged (it's bad to do it) and performance will stay pretty much the same throughout usage..

beat me to it...it took like 15 min to write wtf