Affordable recording bass

never said anything bad about a company. just suggested to try the sterling bass. i bought it just for this purpose, and its great

I'd like to try one... They took over the licensed copy from OLP and they were good basses for the price...

Given that Sterlings are around £600, I'm guessing they're a good make...

Recorded a P-bass the other day with J/P pickup configuration. Really put in perspective how awesome my Euro 5LX is. Can't wait to get the EMG electronics and 40DCs in there for extra clankeage.

Hard to imagine deviating from Spector basses after all this.

I've loving my Spector 5LX too.. just bought it a year ago, I'm usually a guitarist but got sick of Trilian and have been training myself ever since I got a real bass.
I've just been practicing At The Gates - blinded by fear recently, the original song is there but shifted down 2 semitones to match my ADGCF tuning. Bass finger played centered and also added my guitar lines left and right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/np5ady3mo97urqb/deathellATGBlindedByFear Bass & Guitar cover.mp3

I recently mixed a band that used an ltd f series bass which souded great, tons of definition even with the bassist using his fingers. Not sure what particular model it was but it was a 5 string. Shat all over the p bass I usually use.

I personally have noticed two types of bass sounds. The First is a very non-punchy, solid almost stuffy tone but lacks an acoustical scooped low end. The second is a very punchy low end, scooped lower mids with a upper mid grind, crunchy and clean. I tend to like the later and notice the fist type is more a long the lines of cheaper basses, fender basses and basses that do no have mahogany/maple neckthru bodies.

I also personally don't care for single coil pickups for metal as they don't do distortion too well.

My bassist has a cheap $400 peavey bass that blows my sub par $300 Ibanez soundgear out of the water, but he also has a 6 string soundgear that sounds even better. I have been looking at the ESP B series in the $500-600 range. Having played them at guitar center and other small local shops and they have the best of everything I could want for bass tones. Realistically if I had the money I would look at Spector or Warwick Double Bucks in the $1,500 range.

Equally as important in bass is the bass amp being used and what distortion is used. ITB bass processing does not sound as well rounded, compressors can't solidify a real built in bass compressor and outboard gear.

Look into the Warwick Corvette Rockbass. They aren't as good as the more expensive ones, but they have good pickups, and are well-built and easy to play. In fact I'd say that Warwicks are by far the most "user-friendly" of any basses out there, exceptionally smooth, lightweight, with really good hardware and some good convenience features (like clips rather than screws for the truss rod cover and back panel).

They can cover a lot of tones just using the tone knobs alone. They aren't outstanding for blues, more classic metal, etc., and definitely lean towards the more modern, tight & articulate side of things, so it might be good to have a P-Bass or something on hand for that kind of thing.

Reading that site more, I think there are both active and passive versions. I have ones with active pickups, so that probably accounts for some of the high-output and brighter tones I can get out of it.

Really, more than guitar, bass is all about getting a good player and arrangement. A $200 bass can sound great on an album if the bassist is on top of things, but unfortunately there are quite a few guitar players (including me) who just want to play bass for their demos etc., and that's where things start to fall apart. I don't think expensive gear will ever save you in that kind of situation.

Look into the Warwick Corvette Rockbass. They aren't as good as the more expensive ones, but they have good pickups, and are well-built and easy to play. In fact I'd say that Warwicks are by far the most "user-friendly" of any basses out there, exceptionally smooth, lightweight, with really good hardware and some good convenience features (like clips rather than screws for the truss rod cover and back panel).

They can cover a lot of tones just using the tone knobs alone. They don't quite cover classic metal, blues, jazz etc. as well, it definitely leans towards the more modern, tight & articulate side of things, so it might be good to have a P-bass or something on hand for that kind of thing.

Reading that site more, I think there are both active and passive versions. I have ones with active pickups, so that probably accounts for some of the high-output and brighter tones I can get out of it.

Really, more than guitar, bass is all about getting a good player and arrangement. A $200 bass can sound great on an album if the bassist is on top of things, but unfortunately there are quite a few guitar players (including me) who just want to play bass for their demos etc., and that's where things start to fall apart. I don't think expensive gear will ever save you in that kind of situation.

Huge +1, my bassist has one of them and a Squire Vintage Jazz and the Warwick slays it. Think the Corvette has different pickups to that one but they're stock.

Peavey are very underrated... I have a £150 Jazz designed bass... the Milestone III (about £30 on ebay) and I love playing it, such great playability... The pickups KO'd after a bad spot of damp hit out previous flat, so I'm probably gonna upgrade it with some nice new pups... its one of my original basses and still one of my favourites...

The Spector Legend 4 in my experience is a great bass for the price. It holds up on tour and in the studio. Here's my Spector through my BBE Bmax, MXR M80, and some API pre (it was awhile ago, can't remember).

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge +1, my bassist has one of them and a Squire Vintage Jazz and the Warwick slays it. Think the Corvette has different pickups to that one but they're stock.

I'd sure hope so - It costs more than twice as much :p

The Corvettes are cool basses, but comparing a $275 bass to a $560 bass is kinda silly.

Anyone have an opinion on the low-end Spectors? The Korean-made ones? I imagine Mike Kroeger's signature can't be too bad...

My Spector is the Korean made one, EMG HZ P/J setup, bolt on. Bought it years ago for like $500. I love it. I don't know if I just got lucky, but I prefer the tone of this over mid level j basses, and SGR prestiges.

I went to guitar center and tried out a bunch of 5 string basses and settled for an Ibanez SR505. I believe it's in your price range. I liked it even better than the music man they had, although I'm sure the strings being in slightly better shape may have influenced that, as well as the price and look of course.