Afraid to go to the show

Walter_Langkowski

Neuroses Facilitator
The Iced/Bodom/Ever... tour will be coming to my town shortly, and I am still up in the air as to whether I should go or not. You see, my problem is not with the openers, with Evergrey being a phenomenal band and Bodom being pretty good as well. It's just with Iced Earth. I actually own TGB and I think that it is decent, certainly not bad and not something that would make me want to not go. The problem is...no Matt Barlow. I know that this will be something that people have talked about before, so I'm just getting my two cents out.

Firstly, I think Ripper Owens is a very good metal singer, with a lot of positive characteristics that harken back to classix 80's metal. I have seen him perform with Priest, and his voice was never an issue with what everyone saw. AND, I actually think that his pairing with Jon does well also. To me though, Barlow is someone with a voice for metal like almost no other. I think my problem is that I have seen Iced Earth 11 times with Matt, and he just embodied everything positive that metal has to offer. The passion and power with which he sung was gut-wrenching, and far outweighs Rippers superior higher range, IMO.

So, if I go see them perform, I'm sure I will see a set heavy on TGB, probably seven songs or so, which I would understand. But...then comes the older material. If I were to see Ripper do these older songs live after witnessing them 11 times prior, plus Alive In Athens as well, I'm afraid that I will leave dissapointed and even more depressed that Matt is no longer in Iced Earth (or singing, for that matter).

I don't harbor any illwill towards Jon Schaffer for this situation, as this was something out of his control, nor do I dissrespect him for keeping IE going, as it is his creation and he has crafted some of the most classic metal songs EVER. This is just an issue of mine, so maybe you guys can convince me otherwise.
:OMG:

I dont think you should not see em on account of Matt not being in the band anymore, thats a lame reason. But if you dont wanna see em thats cool. More room at the Metro for me.

I would go to the show.. Owens will probably deliver it. Well, I have some doubts about Pure Evil ( do they even play that song? ). I don't think it will be as good as with barlow.

AsModEe said:
I would go to the show.. Owens will probably deliver it. Well, I have some doubts about Pure Evil ( do they even play that song? ). I don't think it will be as good as with barlow.

Are you fucking kidding me?
"Pure Evil" was written for Tim's voice, along with the rest of "Night Of The Stormrider", besides the only song off NOTS they do this tour is "Angels Holocaust"

Zac

Walter_Langkowski said:
The Iced/Bodom/Ever... tour will be coming to my town shortly, and I am still up in the air as to whether I should go or not. You see, my problem is not with the openers, with Evergrey being a phenomenal band and Bodom being pretty good as well. It's just with Iced Earth. I actually own TGB and I think that it is decent, certainly not bad and not something that would make me want to not go. The problem is...no Matt Barlow. I know that this will be something that people have talked about before, so I'm just getting my two cents out.

Firstly, I think Ripper Owens is a very good metal singer, with a lot of positive characteristics that harken back to classix 80's metal. I have seen him perform with Priest, and his voice was never an issue with what everyone saw. AND, I actually think that his pairing with Jon does well also. To me though, Barlow is someone with a voice for metal like almost no other. I think my problem is that I have seen Iced Earth 11 times with Matt, and he just embodied everything positive that metal has to offer. The passion and power with which he sung was gut-wrenching, and far outweighs Rippers superior higher range, IMO.

So, if I go see them perform, I'm sure I will see a set heavy on TGB, probably seven songs or so, which I would understand. But...then comes the older material. If I were to see Ripper do these older songs live after witnessing them 11 times prior, plus Alive In Athens as well, I'm afraid that I will leave dissapointed and even more depressed that Matt is no longer in Iced Earth (or singing, for that matter).

I don't harbor any illwill towards Jon Schaffer for this situation, as this was something out of his control, nor do I dissrespect him for keeping IE going, as it is his creation and he has crafted some of the most classic metal songs EVER. This is just an issue of mine, so maybe you guys can convince me otherwise.
:OMG:

What are you fucking nuts??????

Tim adds a new level to the old Iced Earth songs!

Zac said:
Are you fucking kidding me?
"Pure Evil" was written for Tim's voice, along with the rest of "Night Of The Stormrider", besides the only song off NOTS they do this tour is "Angels Holocaust"

Zac

Pure Evil is too trashy IMO to be sung with a high pitched voice like Tim has. He would probably deliver.. but I doubt I would like it as much as with barlow singing on it.

Guess what...I didn't go to the show. But it was more to do with a medical condition than my initial post, so it wasn't exactly for the reasons I listed. And no, I am not, "Fucking nuts?!!" as COB stated. Sorry, some people bust out the vasoline for guitar histronics, me personally, I lube up for particular singers. Sorry, Ripper (Rob, jr.) is good, not great. Barlow is the fucking man, period. He IS Iced Earth, IMO. Like I said before, I have seen them 11 times since 1996, in four different states. Sorry, just lucky, I guess.

If you went to the show, good for you. The only thing I regret is missing Evergey.

U.B. OTCH

markgugs said:
I wonder if anyone here is aware that Shaeffer writes all the vocal melodies for Iced Earth's music; the "vehicle" that delivers them is far less important.
That's true. But sounding like an oafish bitch can severely impair a melody, y'know...

anonymousnick2001 said:
That's true. But sounding like an oafish bitch can severely impair a melody, y'know...
I don't see how that pertains to Ripper Owens. If you're attempting to insinuate that he sounds like an "oafish bitch," you don't know a whole lot about vocal talent. But hey, they're your ears. Use 'em however you like.