Agalloch Call It Quits

Furious B

Aug 9, 2002
MPLS
Agalloch - The Official Page said:
Following 20 years, 5 full length albums, many tours around the world, and numerous other recordings, John Haughm and the rest of the band (Don Anderson, Jason Walton, and Aesop Dekker) have parted ways. What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined. We collectively thank all of our fans across the world. There are also way too many other people to thank who made this band possible. You know who you are.

Don't post much anymore, but this broke my heart to see. I know a lot of people here still love this band so I figured I'd share. Super bummed.

I was just laughing to myself the other day about the time Haughm offered to sell me his house.

they lost me after aatg. faustian echoes was cool though.

the side projects ive heard arent very good. seems they are more into noise than music

theyll reunite in a few years after the funds run dry

I was pretty bummed out to hear this last night. But, you know, things happen.

I guess it's time for me to sell all my rare Agalloch stuff and pay off the house.

Good timing, though I was hoping they would get their shit together and come back with a great record after the beyond awful The Serpent & the Sphere. But to speak my actual mind, they should have parted ways before that one, after their triumphant run of concerts in 2012. Their show last year in Paris was lacklustre at best, I found the band alchemy tired and spent.

Thank you guys for all the wonderful times, past and to come, listening to your music.

I've caught em about half a dozen times, and I'm going to say the last go through (2014?) was the best concert of the lot. Not saddened in the least by this disbanding. More bands need to call it a day once the inspiration fades.

Crappy news. I really just started to appreciate their music in the last year. Never got to see them live and that's a bummer. At least they left on a high note and with a great discography behind.

tbh don't care, obviously the feeling was gone so good on them for realizin that before its much too late

serpent and the sphere was kind of really freakin crap

Since none of you are frequent Facebook users, I'll fill you in on the rest.

Haughm actually posted a second message in which he explained that Agalloch still exists, but it's just the "visionary founding member" who is left. So basically he booted all of the other members out of the band, and everyone seems pretty salty about it. I have heard some rumors that he already has a new lineup ready and waiting, but who knows if there is any thread of truth to that (probably not).

"After being inundated by a barrage of responses, I feel that I should clarify some things. I take full responsibility for the decision to part ways with the other guys. It was difficult, well thought-out, and something that had been culminating over the past couple of years. I simply could not continue any further with the band as it was. I had to make a change as my motivation and inspiration had started to completely deteriorate. Whether this is the permanent end of Agalloch altogether or a possible fresh start, I don't know. I probably won't know for awhile. The band has simply been reduced back to its founding member for the first time in 20 years. Beyond that, the future is unknown."

(he edited out the "visionary" stuff after some negative responses)

this is just one of those situations where we'll never really know what happened. oh well, its just like the whole solstafir thing. what if he comes back with an album which totally blows away the recent material? time will tell, but i still feel back for the other guys if they didn't want the band to come to an end.

btw they updated the statement and now it says "What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined but the name Agalloch has been permanently laid to rest."

then there's this

U2EdzXM.png

well, there you go. seems like he didn't anticipate such an immediate backlash hahaha.

i am deeply disturbed by the 100,000 fans scrambling to prove that THEY ALONE are the most upset and distraught over this breakup because Agalloch was WAY MORE IMPORTANT to them than anyone else.

black metal seems be to be the only genre that inspires a kind of 'personal' connection while walking around in the woods.

pretty easy to understand both sides of the story. i would have liked to see a show on that tour for The Mantle, that's for damn sure.