Agalloch fans might be interested...

Not to pick on the drums too much, but from the two tracks I've heard the drums are the weakest link.

for your infromation if this statement is true for any agalloch recording it is true for "ashes"

the drum production (and the performance in some parts -- "falling snow" is just not as tight as a song like that should have probably been) annoys me severely on that album, the snare sound especially is just bad

great album, though, i don't let things like that get me down, but i cannot hear a song from the album without thinking "man, that snare..."

also: i'm not listening to these mp3's, i am going to buy the album when it comes out, and sit down with it

I enjoyed the song, but it usually takes me a few spins to start to enjoy what I'm hearing. The 'out of tune' guitars seem more like shitty production or something.

I have trouble listening to Agalloch tracks separated from the rest of the album... to sound faggy and pretentious, it's all about the journey the entire album takes me on.

for what it's worth, the section around 3:30 to 4:00 or so sounds sloppy as hell on Ghosts.
the drummer is definitely weak although at the same time he has a Negru kind of sloppy vibe that works in some ways.

anyway still crap.

dorian and lurch =
Statler-Waldorf-Muppets-Costumes.jpg

for your infromation if this statement is true for any agalloch recording it is true for "ashes"

the drum production (and the performance in some parts -- "falling snow" is just not as tight as a song like that should have probably been) annoys me severely on that album, the snare sound especially is just bad

great album, though, i don't let things like that get me down, but i cannot hear a song from the album without thinking "man, that snare..."

also: i'm not listening to these mp3's, i am going to buy the album when it comes out, and sit down with it

Yea, that has always bugged me, especially that one particular drum fill in "falling snow" (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). I always cringe a little when I hear it, but the songwriting makes up for it in the end.

I haven't listened to either track yet, no speakers on this computer and I think I'd rather hear the album as a whole- Agalloch has never really been a band where I just put on one random song then move to a new artist.

While I can't stop listening to "The Watchers Monolith" I've got to admit I'm disappointed with that second track, "Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires". It has its moments throughout the 10 minutes, especially in the middle section before the second clean part (out of tune guitars coming in at 6:05? wtf?). Here's something I've never wanted to say about Agalloch: maybe it's the production, maybe it's the drummer, but something about it feels rote and flat, and it lacks a lot of the passionate energy that seemed to fuel Ashes... and The Mantle.

This is exactly how I feel after listening to The Watcher's Monolith and I too didn't really expect to say this about this band. It's so unexpected that I'm gonna have to put the blame on the low quality of the streams until I have the real thing in my hands. There's no way I'm listening to this crappy leak either.

This album is so overwhelmingly depressing it’s literally been draining the life out of me,

this dude is seriously wacky (but of course you will get exagerantions from a Romanian reviewer :loco: )
I am not fan but that Ghosts track sounded half-ass good so now I am giving this a spin.
so far the tracks I heard are probably the least mundane Agalloch tracks I heard and have some sort of life to them. totally opposite of what that dude is hearing.

i'm not sure that's cool considering that members of the band post on/posted on/read/have read this forum

anyone who wants to download the album anyway will need three brain cells and three seconds of google, so i am not usually that guy, but that link doesn't really need to be there

Most of the people on this forum have bought twice as much Agalloch merch as the average person. I don't think it's such a big deal, but if it causes a problem, I'll remove it.