Agalloch fans might be interested...

Most of the people on this forum have bought twice as much Agalloch merch as the average person. I don't think it's such a big deal, but if it causes a problem, I'll remove it.

still if I had the user name Nile, I wouldn't be posting illegal download links to Nile torrents ... well I probably would.

and that Black Latte epic song ... holy shit. Me no likey. It's by far the weakest on the record, but I guess more of a throwback to the stuff you guys like about them.

all in all kudos to the band for actually making me want to sit through the entire disc. not a bad release :loco:

the watchers monolith is probably the best song since something from pale folklore, im off to the vast cold grim harsh satanic landscapes of the north with this in my ears tonight

Not all that impressed with this album. Thoughts could change, but that's how it stands right now.

waiting till its out for a first listen, but i went to my friend's house and he had on that black lake song. i heard like the last 5 or 6 minutes of it. that part before the last metal bit is TOTALLY reminiscent of Discipline-era King Crimson. anyone know what im talking about?

Ok I listened to the songs, and like Demilich or somebody said, it made me want to listen to the earlier stuff more than anything. So I listenend to Pale Folklore, and am now 3 mins into In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion, and I just realise the The Mantle will not be topped. In my mind anyway. Well, if Kneel to the Cross was on The Mantle, it'd be sublime.

That reminds me, who's got a spare copy of Of Stone, Wind and Pillor they want to sell? Shit's impossible to find. Haughm?

me neither, the "magic" won't work this time around :confused:

the drummer is haphazard, untight and ill fitting :( i don't think he does anything interesting on the whole record -- when he plays blasts it's just straight up the same thing all the time without even cymbal accents, never mind any fills??? when he plays slower things he seems inconsistent and insecure. but this is not the problem.

also the folks who said the guitar is sometimes mistuned/poorly intonated were right. i love vlad tepes, so i don't really care, although it is surprising coming from agalloch considering the dedication to perfection that was evident on "the mantle". but that's not the problem either.

i'll reserve judgement re: what the actual problem is until i've listened to the album twenty more times or so (i copied it from a friend who had downloaded it, even though i said i wouldn't -- in my defense, i was somewhat drunk, if that defense still holds)

maybe it is that the album doesn't seem to know what it wants to be: is it a back-to-the-roots affair, a pale folklore throwback? because the solos are back, and the 3rd interval riffs, and the intro to "ghosts..." sounds like a continuation of "the melancholy spirit", and it is certainly steeped in wintery blackness.

but wait! is it really actually just a logical progression from "ashes..."? because that's what "the watcher's monolith" sounds like. this is the closest thing i've ever heard to "generic agalloch" in that the various parts almost all sound like they are modified versions of ideas from previous songs -- and the overall impression is that of a less fiery version of "ashes..."

or! are we being progressive and breaking new ground, with post rock-esque soundscapes populated by cellos and moogs? (i love the cello things in "to drown", that is class A experimentation)

there's nothing inherently wrong with having many disparate ideas on a single record, but this time around it feels confused and less unified than previous albums, i guess?

above all, though, it's that intangible thing -- as i said, i'm not FEELING it. it's like that new burzum -- you can't really fault it as such, but it's just not "hvis lyset tar oss" and never could have been. i think i wrote a review of "ashes..." where i called it sober as opposed to a drunk "pale folklore", and keeping with that, this album is even more sober. more of a rock band, less of an otherworldly thing. i don't know.

The new album is definitely all over the place, but I think that's a good thing. Even though you don't really know where each song is going, they all seem to flow into one another nicely in the end. The lack of experimentation is what bothered me at times with Ashes but I'm glad the band is taking some chances and evolving with Marrow. Agalloch has never been a technical band and I like the fact that the album has a raw and live feel to it (Ashes was also similar in that regard). In fact, The Mantle is really the only full length album the band has made that sounds "polished". The drumming doesn't bother me, I think he sounds good and is a big step up from the last drummer.

einride - Can you elaborate on the drunk/sober thing? If you're saying that Marrow is not as heavy and more accessible than Ashes than I completely disagree. I would also say that The Mantle was much more of a rock record than Marrow, by far.

Are they? Where? The main problem with the album is that the songwriting is simply bad compared to previous works.

in "into the painted grey" there's one of those wonderful "is this off-key or not?" pale folklore style solos, and then one of the other two metal songs has a smaller one, at the moment i forget which one