Agalloch fans might be interested...

For any of you who are traveling to one of these gigs, I give the L.A date my highest endorsement, as it's being held at a dilapidated art studio which moonlights as a makeshift venue. Dingy, stuffy, in a vile neighborhood, far away from the faggy Hollywood nightlife. Plus Nad has verbally confirmed his attendance. Throw on your Safari red dresses and come partay!

This gig went from a venue with perfect atmosphere to being held at an aviation themed restaurant/banquet hall right near the tarmac of LAfnX. :erk:

you guys in LA have the strangest venues for gigs.
wasn't the Portal gig last year in some sort of Mexican bodega?

This gig went from a venue with perfect atmosphere to being held at an aviation themed restaurant/banquet hall right near the tarmac of LAfnX. :erk:

Actually the venue area is in a separate building next to the restauraunt and it is pretty nice, actually. I've been to a couple shows there. I would say this is a step up from that Ultra Violet hellhole.

I've been to a couple shows there. I would say this is a step up from that Ultra Violet hellhole.

I want to watch a metal gig with a Mexican passed out in the corner, the smell of piss in the air, and an outside lounge area*, where the band can coke themselves up before hell raising. But I suppose you're right, such a locale would not suit the new noblesse of Agalloch fanatics. (If the last gig at Portland, Oregon was any indication.)

From this: (Excuse shitty boy band)

shadow-featured.jpg

To this:

redbaron001.jpg

Not to mention I have to drive through coonerville to get there, whereas UltraViolet is right down the street in the barrio.

*parking lot with another passed out Mexican.

12/22 – San Francisco, CA @ Great American Music Hall (w/Dispirit)

dispirit is pretty cool and its a good venue, right off van ness so there should be plenty of passed out homeless and piss puddles to help create the right atmosphere. this show should be awesome.

Aye, Dispirit rocks. If that show were before the L.A gig, it would have been worth the trek. I've caught Agalloch 3 times already, so this shit venue isn't as catastrophic as if it were a first time romp in the hay.

In other news, currently spinning the new album for the second time. Don't know where all this negativity is stemming from. This is definitely a grower, but the initial taste is flavorful. Black Lake Nidstång was the best surprise thus far, love Haughm's vox during the mid-part of that track.

It's a great album. Not my favorite but great by any standard. The only thing I'm missing is guitar sweeps a-la fire above, ice below. One part that reminds me of it is the 9:00 mark of watchers monolith.

Is everyone still listening to their shitty 128 kbps copies? I have this shit cranking at 130 dbs since the neighbors are all at work, good stuff. I fully believe this will trump AATG in the long run, (I rarely listen to that recording nowadays).

i don't think 128 kbps mp3's have existed since 1998 but that isn't the problem

I'm missing three things in the new album:

1) Folk element, which was so beautifully incorporated in all their previous recordings, is almost not felt in the new one.
2) Instrumental tracks in the middle of the album, that created such a great atmosphere on PF and The Mantle (Misshapen Steed and Odal/Lodge respectively). Not to mention amazing instrumentals on Of Stone and White. In the Marrow instrumental is put first and while it is good on it's own, I can't compare it to any instrumental track from previous albums.
3) John's clean vocals. Yes, some people didn't like them, but for me they were one of highlights on The Mantle and all other recordings.

Overall, it is a good album, even great one, if it is judged as a standalone record and is not compared to their previous efforts. IMHO, since each Agalloch full length is so radically different from the others, I think this is the best way to listen and experience them.

What in particular do you find frustrating?

that so much is right about it but there are some things that are inexplicably wrong that kind of ruin the experience

it's the "well, this is nice listening i suppose, but why am i not listening to pale folklore/the mantle/ashes instead right now since it did this thing better?" thing

it's the "well, this is nice listening i suppose, but why am i not listening to pale folklore/the mantle/ashes instead right now since it did this thing better?" thing

That's the thing - IMHO, new album, with exception of few places here and there, does different thing than what previous ones were doing. It's like comparing The White and Ashes - both are great, but you wouldn't say that listening to one makes you not listen to the other, or to not like the other.

I haven't bothered listening to this yet. Everything I've heard from all sorts of different people has been so negative.. ugh.