Agalloch fans might be interested...

Kenny will be back to Brutal Death Metal approx. 6 months after the kid is born.

biketeach24.gif

I'm really digging this album; however, I feel like it's a more metal take on anything they've done. Where is the song like Fire Above, Ice below?

I just came back from Agalloch at the Elk's Lodge. We departed rather late in the night to avoid any extraneous cacophony, as we've reached the ripe old age where anything beyond an hour wears deeply on our hips. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a Mohican, a bolt faced bint of Kim Kelly grandeur, and a couple amateur photographers taking snapshots of asphalt. Folks fret not, you're not reading a Profanity post. About 200 people in the banquet hall in total, 194 of which I've never seen at any Los Angeles gig prior. Oh where do they come from? One milk sop in front of our party which included Nadrick of Locksley, flamboyantly gesticulated like a noodle fresh off the wok, while adjacently a multitude of Weezer transplants stood on banquet hall chairs in order to gain a greater vantage of Haughm and Co sullenly strumming along. Twas a bitter scene, astringent as horse radish mayonnaise, to behold these cultural sponges conversing over Not Unlike the Waves, attentiveness is not a requisite in order to claim attendance. It took 4 New Castles quaffed in expeditious fashion to null my self awareness of the proceedings. Agalloch was as tight as ever, true craftsmen of their profession. More to be said later, I must crash before this buzz drifts away.

Not great yet for me but i'm sure you've listened to it 13949283x more while i've been listening to jollyfolk and such. I'm hoping it'll get there, at least I see the potential this time.

Acai I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact there were hipsters, metalheads AND nazis in the audience. what a bizarre crowd.

You referring to that older bald fellow who was tatted, three sheets to the gale, and who attempted to befriend all comers to incite a mosh? Whereabouts were you standing dear sir? Our party was towards the back, far right hand side of the stage.

him in particular, and the five or so skinheads during Allerseelen. I was in the front about four people deep on the right side of the stage, but after the first couple of Agalloch songs I had step out to the far right side of the stage where things were a bit less intense so I could actually enjoy myself

We didn't bother to go in to see Allerseelen, on account of Nad's report, and the hipster tail gate party transpiring in the parking lot. I'm going to always make a point to have some vodka handy pre-show, as I simply can not bear to be amongst crowds in a sober mind state. Mama, why didn't you love me?

Surprisingly, out of the material played, I enjoyed the songs off of Marrow... the most. It just came off as refreshing. Fucking awesome album regardless, certainly will stand the test of time amongst their catalogue.

Having been to the Portland and Seattle shows, I'd say there were more hipsters in Seattle and a few unkempt Santas across the street from the venue. The show itself was quite good, though the Allerseelen set was a chore in keeping a straight face.

Dunno fellas, but I've really been enjoying this.

A few quick thoughts...
-Like many others, I was surprised by the blast beats and BM sections. Hell, even I was worried that they might take things too far with the post-rock/shoegaze thing, but they have taken it in the opposite direction and I like it. This is further evidenced by the lack of clean vocals. But let's be honest, they didn't fit here much at all. I like that Haughm went with the HEart Of The Ages banshee vocals again (on BLN).
-This may be the only Agalloch album where my brain wanders at any point. It's only about 8 minutes (lasting from the end of TWM through the first 5 mins of BLN). TWM as a whole I find to be the most "traditional Agalloch," and also the most unexciting.
-The drumming does not really bother me (I never really pay attention to it enough to care, unless it REALLY sucks). Since there is a fine line between "simple" and "boring," there will no doubt be many who fall into both camps. I found myself nodding my head a lot more to this album than their others, if that is a good thing.
-Whoever said that BLN resembles Floyd's "Echoes" is right. Not only the structure is similar, but also the melodies. Hell, even the guitar sounds (I'm talking about the part about 3/4 through each song where we get those underwater layered clean "splashing" guitars when the song bursts back into melody from the previous quiet section... EHHH, I'm bad at describing these things...)
-Also, whoever said that the intro to GoMF greatly resembles "She Painted Fire" is also right. I noticed this immediately, and wonder why they didn't catch it or decided to leave it in there. This will probably always annoy me. Also: why did they decide to rip that Requiem For A Dream melody in the final track??? Anyone else notice this? Maybe the boys don't watch TV, but this shit has been in the trailer for every shitty Hollywood action movie since 2003. This will also probably always annoy me.

Anyway, this is hovering at around an 8/10 for me. It makes sense in view of their whole discography, and fits pretty nicely I think.

Dunno fellas, but I've really been enjoying this.

-Whoever said that BLN resembles Floyd's "Echoes" is right. Not only the structure is similar, but also the melodies. Hell, even the guitar sounds (I'm talking about the part about 3/4 through each song where we get those underwater layered clean "splashing" guitars when the song bursts back into melody from the previous quiet section... EHHH, I'm bad at describing these things...)

Good, I thought I was going crazy and hearing stuff that is not there :)

This album craps down AATG's throat. Marrow... sounds antedated compared to the aforementioned. If only it were released before Ashes, then perhaps the where's Waldo beanie community would have passed this band by.