Agalloch fans might be interested...

einride - Can you elaborate on the drunk/sober thing? If you're saying that Marrow is not as heavy and more accessible than Ashes than I completely disagree. I would also say that The Mantle was much more of a rock record than Marrow, by far.

it's the difference between "wrath of the tyrant" and "ix equilibrium" or between "killers" and "fear of the dark".

it is the difference between what happens when people are young and full of conviction and imagination, and what happens when they're older, more "mature" and reasonable, and more comfortable in the role they've put themselves in. i don't necessarily mean that agalloch sounds like rock'n'roll music, just that it sounds "like a rock band". when you listen to something like burzum you don't imagine a band rocking out on stage, it's a different experience altogether that is wholly detached from the traditional rock band paradigm. i think agalloch had this at one point, and lost it, but that's alright because pretty much everyone loses that with age.

here's the review i wrote of "ashes..." if that helps at all

AGALLOCH "Ashes Against the Grain" (The End, 2006)
After years of experimentation, with factions of the band seeming to nearly tear its fabric apart by pulling fiercely in different directions, it seemed with Ashes Against the Grain that AGALLOCH was determined to produce a cohesive, solid whole again. To some observers at the time, it appeared doubtful that AGALLOCH would even return to doing metal music again, but as it turned out, this album might be less threatening to the typical metal fan than either of the other two full-lengths. Ashes Against the Grain has the aftertaste of a band in the midst of the realization that they have developed -- and come to be associated with -- a particular style and sound. Therefore, they stand in the unenviable position of having to, at least partly, choose between retreading old water -- doing what is expected of them -- and entering unknown territory completely, maybe failing.

Though it is not the entire truth, much of Ashes Against the Grain’s musical journey is travel along safe paths. It is neither Pale Folklore nor The Mantle part 2, but it is lyrically and musically unmistakably AGALLOCH. You expect AGALLOCH to write a line like "you long to die in her pale arms, crystalline", and they do. It appears, to some extent, an album of forced, not natural progression, and in 2006, AGALLOCH do not perform with as fiery a spirit within their original paradigm of snow-and-woodsmoke metal as they once did -- where Pale Folklore transcended simple listening to conceive worlds and voyages, Ashes Against the Grain is an album of good songs, recorded in a studio, by human musicians. It is sober where Pale Folklore was intoxicated, experienced where Pale Folklore was naïve -- therefore, weaker. Let the fact that this is still on the list, that this is one of the most well-crafted and thoughtful albums of the decade, then stand as testament to AGALLOCH’s uncommon creative ability and zest.

i don't think their path has changed, i think what i wrote above is still true. also, maybe i sound pretty harsh in the above posts, but let me make it clear that agalloch is still a really cool band that deserves all respect. i just love their music a lot and it's hard sometimes

edit: another thing is: this morning, on the sixth or seventh listen, "into the painted grey" is really good

I can see making a case for Ashes being a great album, because it was (although lesser than the first two), but Marrow is just lifeless and dull. The sad thing about the album is, you need to TRY and things to like about it, and when I realized that, I gave up. Into The Painted Grey has some great riffs but they never materialize into a good song.

Into The Painted Grey has some great riffs but they never materialize into a good song.

as of today i think they do, actually, but it's pretty futile to discuss yet whether this is a great album or not. needs more time.

nevertheless, i can't keep myself from trying

there's nothing inherently wrong with having many disparate ideas on a single record, but this time around it feels confused and less unified than previous albums, i guess?

This pretty much sums it up I reckon. I've listened to it maybe 9 or 10 times, but another 6 or 7 times I've found myself getting to Black Night Nidstång and then skipping back to Into the Painted Grey and The Watcher's Monolith. Those two tracks are great, and suit each other, but the album as a whole lacks the flow of past releases.

That said, I am enjoying the whole album more with each listen.

I hope my mind changes on this, I really do. I can maybe see myself getting into all but Black Lake Nidstang. The song takes up such a massive chunk of the album and is a huge disappointment. Just too much experimenting with post rock and noise sections.

these rushed grand statements are generally a harbinger of disappointment

not to mention this:
And like every great work of art, it will stand as a monument to God, for not only giving man the beauty within to create it, but the desire and courage to share his beauty with the world.

in all seriousness, that review was bullshit hyperbole from the first word to the last and i did not need to hear the album, or know whether it was good or bad, to realize that

skipping back to Into the Painted Grey and The Watcher's Monolith. Those two tracks are great, and suit each other, but the album as a whole lacks the flow of past releases.

That said, I am enjoying the whole album more with each listen.

pretty much sums it up for me. i used to listen to pale folklore and see images of amazing things in my head, and it just hasn't happened yet with this one. but yeah, those two tracks are very good. i'll keep listening to it, we'll see what's up. believe it or not i was not crazy about the mantle at first, but that obviously changed.

if I LIKE it, there must be something wrong with it.

that's the only review you need.

Into The Painted Grey is my favorite song Agalloch has done since The Mantle (except for maybe Sowilo Rune from the white EP). I really hope they open with that on the upcoming shows in the northwest.

How to properly listen to Agalloch

grass-mask.jpg

Into The Painted Grey has a section straight from Findling by Lunar Aurora and Black Lake Nidstang has a section around 11:15 pulled right from Given To The Rising by Neurosis.