AGALLOCH - The Serpent And The Sphere

I agree with everything you said, but my score would be even lower. 5 or 6. Very mediocre. Going through the motions.

people say the album is samey and plodding and i don't know what the hell they're talking about.

that

I get the feeling that people judge this album as a watered down Pale Folklore by "Celestial Effigy" alone (the weakest track imo along with the second part of "Plateau of the Ages"). Stupid premature e-pinions.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. I tackle every spin with much excitement and expectation, and pretty much everything sounds in place and powerful and sincere, but so far I'm unable to tune up to the album's rhythm. I'm not carried away as much as I'd expect from an Agalloch album. Then again Marrow of the Spirit took several months to win me over, so, see you in ten months or so...

i really enjoy all of the songs aside from "Dark Matter Gods". TBH it seems like total filler material to me and is pretty weak in general. like erik said, "The Astral Dialogue" is a great tune but if you changed the vocals and told me it were a new Amon Amarth song, I wouldn't think twice about it. love the acoustic interludes but after the first one (which is a perfect bridge between the two songs and pretty much amazing), they feel slightly out of place.

i was pretty excited when this was released, but unfortunately i have slightly different feelings about it now. theres nothing i can say which hasn't been said above, but it just lacks that really ethereal beauty of the older material. overall a very solid release, but sometimes i listen to "You Were But a Ghost in My Arms" and nothing else matters anymore.

7.5/10

still wicked excited to see them in NYC. a week from today! they are playing the whole album sans pillars of creation, plus a few of the 'oldies'. should be a great time

this show is going to be so awesome. have been waiting like 12 years to see them live. the setlist has been including '... and the great cold death of the earth'!!!! also they have been playing 'ghosts of the midwinter fires" which is a personal fav. will post a review in a day or two. off to the city i go!

Listening to this album on top of a mountain with nobody around for miles is a very, very good thing.

It isn't Pale Folklore, The Mantle, or Faustian Echoes. But there is some hidden magic therein, I think.

One year later, I'd put this one in my Top 5 Agalloch album list:

The Mantle
Pale Folklore
Faustian Echoes
The White
The Serpent & the Sphere

definitely not a grower haha. i am still optimistic for their future output(s), but this one just doesn't work for me- even after seeing them perform basically the entire album (sans the first track)

Buncha faith losin' heathen vunts up in here.

Fondled my new vinyl copy today. Traitors. :loco: