Jul 3, 2003
Dallas
I've always fucked up trying to pronounce "Agalloch". I say "Ah-Gul-Otch"

What's the correct way to say it?

Flood said:
I've always fucked up trying to pronounce "Agalloch". I say "Ah-Gul-Otch"

What's the correct way to say it?
Ah-Gal-Ock

They might even be worth listening to if they would get themselves out of Opeth's shadow. Until then they will remain a second-rate Opeth copy.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Ah-Gal-Ock

They might even be worth listening to if they would get themselves out of Opeth's shadow. Until then they will remain a second-rate Opeth copy.

Agalloch a second rate Opeth copy?? Clearly you haven't given much time to listening to them. The Mantle is a beautiful masterpiece, I have a hard time describing it (much like Opeth used to) which bares little resemblence to Opeth. Why do you feel Agalloch are Opeth rip offs? Is it because they mix heavy and accoustic parts. By that same reasoning Opeth are Metallicunt rip offs. Opeth are not the first band to establish a dicthtomy between soft and heavy in music. This dates back to the birth of music itself. Its called dynamics. Other metal bands have done it, the aforementionned metallicunt, Ulver, Dissection, etc. Agalloch are more about establihsing a nature-ish, melancholic atmosphere whereas Opeth is more about a musical and lyrical journey than about establishing any type of atmosphere. Agalloch are not afraid to point out their influence as they mentionned on the Mantle (Ulver, Katatonia, etc)

The Mantle is such a great "listen to at night laying on your bed" album. You don't play it in your car or at a party. Just lay at night and listen to it. It's great.

a (as in at) ga (as in gaff) lock (as in LOCK)

and i dont see how they are in opeths shadow.... they are almost totally different, but hey...

Agalloch is not a second-rate Opeth copy. At the most superificial level, yes, they are similar, but it goes no deeper than that. Their texture, mood, and most importantly _atmosphere_ are very unlike Opeth. I would say that their overall use of the metal aesthetic is completely very very different than Opeth as well. See also: the post by diabological vengeance.

I actually prefer Pale Folklore to The Mantle but both are great. Their are some similarities to Opeth but they are definitely NOT a copy or a 2nd rate version of them. Both bands have long songs, clean/death vocals and great song writing but the comparision ends there. Agalloch has said on many occasions that Opeth was never an influence but bands like Ulver and old Katatonia were.

For people looking to give Agalloch a try I would start with Pale Folklore. The Mantle was a little difficult to get into at first for me but I loved Pale Folklore immediately, it's the more "metal" of the two albums. If you go to theendrecords.com to Agalloch's bio you can download "Dead Winter Days" from Pale Folklore which is a fantastic song. Also available is "Kneel to the Cross" a great cover from their EP along with "...and the great cold death of the earth" from The Mantle.

Another vote for "Agg A Lock".

Also, I FUCKING LOVE THESE GUYS!!

Granted, they may not have as much of a "professional" sound as Opeth, but god damned if they don't have just as much emotion and power in their songs, especially songs like "Kneel To The Cross" (AMAZING song), "Hallways of Enchanted Ebony", and "... And the Great Cold Death of the Earth"

Agalloch deserve just as much respect as Opeth. They may not be as professional, but they are, in my eyes, easily just as talented and powerful.

Flood said:
The Mantle is such a great "listen to at night laying on your bed" album. You don't play it in your car or at a party. Just lay at night and listen to it. It's great.

Exactly.

BTW: Agalloch have their own Style. :Smug:

I have listen to The Mantle very many times and am very impressed by its atmosphere. Thats prolly it though. They don't sound different and don't get very extreme like Opeth. While the musicianship is excellent,the songwriting needs work some. You can't honestly say one song stands out at all. They flow together like one long song which is awesome but more dynamics would make them even better. They remind me of Orchid style Opeth without the awesome riffs. If thats possible! I would recommend them to everyone but they are not in the same league as Opeth.