Agalloch!

Agalloch are an *AMAZING* band!

... but similar to ISIS? You've got to be joking. Agalloch has elements of black metal (READ: no Doom or Death influences!), folk and progressive rock (heavily Rush & Genesis influenced). The band don't even consider themselves to be metal, they consider themselves to be just "music". They prefer an "undefined categorisation" as they have said themselves.

Isis have none of that influence - they have a thick wall of guitars aka Rapture/BMD Katatonia, but the vocals are borderline death growls (more along the lines of tortured screams), and the song structure is VERY minimalistic. Their structural progression is slow in each song, and vocals play a part of accompanyment (almost like an instrument itself) to their music as opposed to being a leading highlight of their music.

Agalloch's music is all about intricacy and detail, which ISIS do not have as their music concentrates on abstraction and soundscapes generated by manipulation of pedal effects. Agalloch create their soundscapes through lyrical content and musical structural diversity.

Just my two cents, as I have been concentrating on these two bands a lot.

I think there needs to be less Brave Murder Day worship and more Dance of December souls/Jhva Elohem Meth worship with other bands...I'll certainly do my part.

random I know...but I'm bored.

JaadCe said:
I really love Agalloch. beautiful atmospheric music..
I bought The Mantle...but is still looking for a place to get Pale Folklore i Denmark :)
Hmm..maybe I should just get it from Amazon.co.uk

o_O I thought I was the only Dane who listens to Agalloch. I have trouble finding Pale Folklore as well.

Try Die Hard Metal shop. I ordered it plus some more stuff they said that they would have it in a few weeks.

Décadent said:
Anyone else heard Especialy Likely Sloth?

After all the hype ELS got on the Royal Carnage board, I was kinda dissapointed. Weird, but not THAT weird. Not that special either, I deleted it a while ago. Good, I guess, if that kinda thing floats yer boat. I didn't like the guy's other project, Sculptured, either. It was kinda all over the place, really good musicianship, but something about it was fucking annoying.

Illnath said:
o_O I thought I was the only Dane who listens to Agalloch. I have trouble finding Pale Folklore as well.

Try Die Hard Metal shop. I ordered it plus some more stuff they said that they would have it in a few weeks.

I bought "The Mantle" at Die Hard..but Pale Folklore wasn't listed on their site...I'll look again :)

Hehe..another dane told me that he thought he was the only one listening to Agalloch, when we talked about music :)

Yeah its pretty hard to find Agalloch`s records here in this little shit country. I only got The Mantle, I ordered Pale Folklore and I have waited for over one fuckin month now. Great band though.

Guys, find it !
"Pale Folklore" is better as "The Mantle". It's just my opinion, but even if people prefer "The Mantle", no one can deny that Agalloch is a great band and so all that they do is great.
I find "The Mantle" needs a little bit more energy.

Isis, like Agalloch ?
oh no !!
Tracks are long, it's all !!
Isis is more post hardcore, Agalloch feels more folk black metal.
But it s a question of opinion.

Hmm I love the folkish elements (both in metal and alone) and looking for bands similar to my favourite one Ulver this name popped up a lot, I should check em out I guess ;)
Anyone else heard Especialy Likely Sloth?
Yes, it seems the main focus is to try and break the human mind. I listened to a mouthful of pirates and god.. I needed to sleep with the lights on and take shits only in daylight.

Julian Zembrowski said:
Hmm I love the folkish elements (both in metal and alone) and looking for bands similar to my favourite one Ulver this name popped up a lot, I should check em out I guess ;)
Yes, definitly worth your time. On that note, it may also be worth checking out Emyprium, Taake, Moonsorrow and Aeternus (the album "Beyond the Wandering Moon").

Julian Zembrowski said:
Yes, it seems the main focus is to try and break the human mind. I listened to a mouthful of pirates and god.. I needed to sleep with the lights on and take shits only in daylight.
:lol:

The difference between Isis and Agalloch is Isis suck and Agalloch rock.

I'm looking forward to a new release too, however I don't expect it to come anytime soon.

since when is playing boring riffs for 13 minutes better than playing orgasmic songs that build up better than anything agalloch could pull off? hmmm..