I can't believe that

...But I envy the cool mom The Antihero. Mine doesn't even like Damnation, cause it's too sad!

It's kind of funny really. My mom was way into Porcupine Tree around the time Lightbulb Sun came out (she was way into prog in the 70's, Marillion, King Crimson, stuff like that). I was listening to BWP (one of the clean parts, don't remember which song and she thought it sounded a lot like PT.

So she kind of got me into PT, and I got her into Opeth. We didn't even realize there was a connection between the two until a couple years later.

Dude™;7451764 said:
Opeth would not be Opeth without growls. I remember when I bought Orchid (my first one) I really wished they didn't do clean singing.

his clean back then pretty much sucked

SL, will always be my favorite album. So much raw emotion.

In my experience of attempting to convert people, it is difficult to do. I do not start with damnation tholl, it is not pure opeth, it's a mellow version of Opeth. Beginning with Damnation is blatantly lying to people about what Opeth really is. Harvest & Bleak, both contain heavier bits, as well as mellow ones, I have used those to attempt to convert a few, not very successful. It saddens me.

Anyway,as you said,most people hate growls.They think like: "oh,he's just screaming like he vomited,it's not music,it's for "psychopaths":)

Lots of people don't like death vocals. I don't see how this makes them somehow intellectually inferior as some folks here seem to be implying.
You have to admit, from an outsider's perspective, it must seem pretty ridiculous to hear someone grunt and growl through an entire album.

You was maybe directing at me,so i'll anwer.This words,they're nearly(not at all) quoted of what my dad says about growls in opeth.I must say,I don't think he's inferior then,he's one of the most intelligent people i know personally:) I'm just so sad 'cause i know he'll always react this way when hearing mike's growl.Absolutely non-convertable.:cry:

There are people that only can listen to damnation.
I mean, damnation is an awesome awesome album, but BWP or SL or any other album is at that level or more.
Seems like everytime I try to enter someone on opeth, all I can get them to listen is to the damnation songs, wich is like sad for me, I want them to hear the mix between quiet and heavy, between acoustics and distorted guitars, it's kind of frustrating.
I know some fans that entered with damnation, that is ok, but that must be a weird thing, as it were weird to me the first time I heared damnation, I thought WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? IS THERE ANY OTHER BAND WITH THE SAME NAME?
But I got it, I loved it, I abused it, I don't listen to it anymore, or not that regularly.
Discuss or post shit thread or how your mom loves still life.

Well, what do you expect? Not everyone is into what we're into.

My mom also likes Damnation, she thinks it's pleasant. I find it a very dark and gloomy album, but that's probably I'm more familiar with the lyrics. It's very mellow, but still very dark. I love it. It's still one of my top albums of all time, though I find myself more connected to Still Life, Ghost Reveries and Watershed.