Agalloch

Risquit said:
Agalloch is good for background music as you're falling asleep. For active listening, its hard to get past the repetitiveness.

Agreed. I really don't understand the fascination for this band. They have no compositional skills whatsoever.

Scourge of Malice said:
why would you judge an album on "strictly musical terms" ??

lately pale folklore has been owning my life... "the melancholy spirit" is possibly one of the greatest songs I've ever heard

I don't judge an album on strictly musical terms unless it's not catchy or lacks direction, both of which apply to 'Pale Folklore'.

I don't judge any album on "stricly musical terms". Iam not a musician and never will be, therefore I lack the ability to look at music in a musician's aspect. All that I know is how certain music makes me feel from what I hear. I listen to many genres of music, and a lot of times the music that I listen to fits my mood. Hey, atleast I admit I don't know shit about it. There are people out there who think that they know everything about music when in all reality they have no idea.

:)

i've been praising that split ever since i registered here :)

i absolutely love nest. and agalloch is in my top5 bends, so enough said.

but, i just can't find any new information/news about future agalloch releases.. except for this: "Production is well underway in preparation for Oregon-based AGALLOCH’S The Mantle, due out on special limited edition double LP due out through Profound Lore Records. Said project being done in accordance with Infinite Vinyl Series, and Prophecy Productions sub-label Grau who will handle this release in Europe. To be limited to 500 copies, with exclusive artwork, designed inner sleeves, and presented in grey vinyl. The album will be available in early spring."

anoher pointless release.
anyone has some new info? :)

KRANG said:
:)
but, i just can't find any new information/news about future agalloch releases.. except for this: "Production is well underway in preparation for Oregon-based AGALLOCH’S The Mantle, due out on special limited edition double LP due out through Profound Lore Records. Said project being done in accordance with Infinite Vinyl Series, and Prophecy Productions sub-label Grau who will handle this release in Europe. To be limited to 500 copies, with exclusive artwork, designed inner sleeves, and presented in grey vinyl. The album will be available in early spring."

anoher pointless release.
anyone has some new info? :)

Haughm said:
My goal is to record in August/Sept. It's just a goal, something to shoot for. It really depends if we can get our shit together enough before that. It might be longer. Things always change which is why I won't give the official word until the studio time is booked. But things are slowly happening in our camp.

The Vendlus EP is not officially named yet so quit arguing about it!

J

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188443

Yes, Agalloch may not have the greatest compositional skills in the world, but they make some pretty damn dark, atmospheric music that has some great moments. Not all bands are perfect like Opeth.

Dan said:
I hope people getting on Agalloch for lack of compostional skills aren't big fans of Orchid and Morningrise.

he's right. Orchid especially...times where the tracks just seem like riffs strung together. very cool riffs, but still.

Crimson Death said:
The fact you can't hold a solid arguement makes you a moron and a diaper full of poo.
BA-ZING

I like Agalloch. I can only listen to them in the autumn and winter though. I think they're more closely related to early Ulver than to Opeth

the only opeth thing about them is the acoustics, and length of the songs. But the actual music, vocals, melodies, everything...very unOpeth. It's more Ulver, correct. Probably the biggest metal related influence.

Speaking of Ulver. Bergtatt is owning me right now. I still think it's their best album.

Agalloch RULE.

They are NOTHING like Opeth at all - their influences are more Black Metal with 80's era Rush prog rock edges. They have a completely different musical focus than Opeth.

The vocal work is outstanding and suits the music style perfectly. Some would even go as far as to say Agalloch is not really metal (the band themselves say this).

Bands like Agalloch and Borknagar are the future of extreme music if you ask me. It's totally Avant-Metal!