Akercocke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
Are great. What genre do they "fit" in? They don't sound like death metal in terms of bands like Nile, Vader, Morbid Angel etc, but they seem to have more elements of death than black metal bands. So, what are they exactly, other than excellent?
And what movie is the intro to "Chronozon" from?

Actually, when I saw them live I kept thinking they reminded me of Nile. They are a cool band, but I agree, they are hard to pin under a single genre. They're just kinda...brutal, atmospheric, blackened death metal. Hah kidding, I dunno, who cares. :)

Before anyone randomly attacks me for thinking they are overrated, let me explain my reasoning:

1. Inconsistency. Their songs have no relation to one another. They try at least 8 different styles of music in Choronzon, with the beginning of Son Of The Morning being repulsively bad.

2. The vocals. What the fucking hell. I don't understand how anyone can think Mendonca has good vocals, besides maybe the completely and utterly out of place Severe Torture-esque death vocals. The "black" vocals are annoying and grating, and his clean vocals blow.

3. The guitar tone. Listen to the beginning of Becoming The Adversary. That sounds terrible. It's like a really low din in the back of the song. I realize that this tone isn't always there, but when it is, it's PAINFUL to listen to.

4. The goofy production. Self-explanatory. The production is too...wrong, with the drumming (which is probably one of the best aspects of the album--Gray's a good skinsman most of the time) being far too back most of the time. The guitar tone, while blatantly muddied for black metal purposes, is practically insubstantial and worthless.

5. The pretentiousness. I don't like the lyrics at all. They sound like a joke unto themselves, and, although I am quite aware that they are "truly Satanic," that doesn't change the fact that they're goofy most of the time. I can excuse lyrics, but whose fucking idea was it to have intros to practically every track on the album?

No I'm definitely not turning you away from the album. Like it if you want. I just find it overrated for the above reasons. Download stuff off it to check it out first.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I can excuse lyrics, but whose fucking idea was it to have intros to practically every track on the album?
Mortician :)

Anyways, I quite enjoyed reading that. It's all true! :tickled:

Still, there's something I enjoy...or at least WANT to enjoy about them. Maybe it's because I spent $17 on their CD and I'm still giving it a chance.

Funeral Portrait said:
Mortician :)

Anyways, I quite enjoyed reading that. It's all true! :tickled:

Still, there's something I enjoy...or at least WANT to enjoy about them. Maybe it's because I spent $17 on their CD and I'm still giving it a chance.

:)

I saw Akercocke live last month (went for Impaled and to a lesser degree Vehemence, and also to hang out with friends.) They sucked ass. Sounded like Marduk with more grindcore tendencies and some really stupid Dimmu-ish operatic tendencies.

And if anyone cares, Mortician was incredibly boring.

The only good thing about live Mortician is that their singer brings his massive collection of rare and underground brutal death metal CD's. I picked up Psycroptic's "Isle of Disenchantment" when Mortician came through Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.