For fans of Morbid Angel, Nile etc...

I have Forever Advancing Legions. It's pretty decent, but I wouldn't put them up there with Morbid Angel or Nile yet. Well, maybe Nile, but they're a ways off before reaching the greatness of Morbid Angel.

Krigloch the Furious said:
um no how?
Morbid Angel is boring as hell. trey has fucking terrible tone, writes boring shit.
Mithras just sucked ass.
haha calling Morbid Angel boring trying to defend Nile is one of the funniest things i've heard all day.....the only thing interesting about Nile is the egyptian sampling, which wears off quick, their riffs suck ass and the drumming is really repetive......i'm not a big Mithras fan but MA blow Nile out of the water

llama.jpg

Morbid Angel > Nile > Mithras

Morbid angel's first three albums kick ungodly amounts of ass and until Heretic they had never released an album I didn't enjoy. Nile never really impressed me until 'Shrines..' which is currently one of my most played DM albums. Mithras are pretty cool but saying they're better than the other two bands mentioned in the thread title is (IMO) undeserved praise.

'Altars...' if you like your DM to be chaotic and fast, 'Blessed...' if you prefer more mid-paced (but better structured) material. Both rule so check them out first.

"Blessed are the Sick" and "Altars of Madness" are best, but they're not particularly accessible these days due to them seeming boring and typical. A lot of listens should reveal some class though.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
The guitars stand out for me as adding to the psychedelic spaced-out feel. If you want crazy ass riffs, check out their first album, Forever Advancing......Legions.

Most of what you're reffering to as synthwork is actually guitars. :p

I think what I meant are the atmospheric breaks, so I guess it's not really synth anyway :loco:.

Nile is interesting for a few minutes then it gets boring. Morbid Angel was one of the bands that got me into death metal though I don't listen to them much anymore.

Heh, I'm really late on this thread. Oh well, I just picked up Mithras' "Forever Advancing Legions" and it fuckin kills. I immediately thought of Nile while listening to this CD, but not really Morbid Angel.

My opinion...

Nile > Mithras > Morbid Angel :)

I read an interview with the Mithras guitarist pretty much saying he didn't see the big thing with Nile. he said something like "they're an excellent band, but they don't really sound that Egyptian" and I see his point, as the one selling point with Nile is obviously the Egyptian edge.

I don't know what his case was with the un-Egyptian thing, but in any case I think Mithras are leagues more interesting than Nile. Nile is enjoyable for the occasional blast of brutality (esp. vocals and drums) but the riffs themselves I actually find thoroughly unimpressive or memorable, and often very similar.

Mithras on the other hand are pretty brutal at times but also original and overall a lot more captivating and long-lived. Nile seems pretty redundant in comparison.

As for Morbid Angel, I don't think the two need to be compared. The Mithras guys openly admit MA were a big influence on their sound, and I don't see why Mithras can't just be seen as a progression on from that sound, no need to compare them.