For fans of Morbid Angel, Nile etc...

Shadow_Island

Jan 17, 2004
East
Check out Mithras. They are a "death" metal band from England with the intensity of Morbid Angel and are faster than Nile. They do not sound like the average death metal band. Their web page is www.mithras.org.uk.

Mithras need to write far more great riffs if they want to approach the standard of bands like Morbid Angel or Nile. 'Worlds...' was crushing and atmospheric but it got old really fast because if you strip away the synth work and guitar effects there isn't that much else of real interest going on. A few songs managed to mix awesome riffwork with syths to brilliant effect (Psyrens, They came and you were silent) but overall I found it less than satisfying. Although I think they are definitly one for the future if they can raise the level of their songwriting.

i like morbid angel but not nile. i find that nile has of direction and they are just an unco-ordinated bundle of riffs. there isnt any diversity and i can only understand people enjoying them for their brutality.

Downloaded an MP3 off their site.. wasn't impressed. it's only one mp3 but judging from that I don't think they can touch Nile.

Shadow Island, I used to feel the same way about Nile. You have to listen to their albums all the way through. The Egyptian theme can really pull you in, especially with those non-metal egyptian tracks thrown in. Definitely check out "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" if you haven't heard it... amazing song

Shadow Island said:
there isnt any diversity and i can only understand people enjoying them for their brutality.
Yeah I thought that way for a long time too, but have seen the error of my ways.

Mithras are almost as good as Nile and Morbid Angel, in a few years they could be better than both, who knows.

Haha there are actually people that like Nile more than Mithras? Wow, some people's ears sure must be broken.

In any case, Mithras is an amazing, amazing band that everyone hates for no apparent reason or because they dislike the completely fitting atmospheric layered production on Worlds Beyond the Veil.

I hate the production on "Worlds..."

Why are people even comparing Mithras to Nile? I see the Morbid Angel similarity, but not the Nile one.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
In any case, Mithras is an amazing, amazing band that everyone hates for no apparent reason or because they dislike the completely fitting atmospheric layered production on Worlds Beyond the Veil.
Well I really liked the production, I just don't think it's something to hang an entire album on to make up for a lack of good songs/riffs.

Why do some people hate the production on Worlds Beyond the Veil? I think it's different, but all the instruments are clear.

the production suites the music it think, cause it sounds sort of "cloudy", the guitars arnt produced bad giving them a muddy sound.

The guitars stand out for me as adding to the psychedelic spaced-out feel. If you want crazy ass riffs, check out their first album, Forever Advancing......Legions.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
Though I don't mind the atmosphere in Mithras' "Worlds Beyond the Veil" I feel that the production is lacking in the sense that the guitars and everything else is abit too soft. The synthwork is brilliant.

Most of what you're reffering to as synthwork is actually guitars. :p