album complexity

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
For all you musicians out there: What is the most complex/difficult opeth album to play? Or which album has the most advanced riffs? I was thinking SL or BWP. I play guitar every once in a while, and feel they are difficult albums, at least guitar wise.

Yeah, I pretty much figured that these albums were tough to play. The songs have so much going on in them.

I find myself ignoring or getting frustrated with the tab. Then I just play something that sounds close to the CD. Improv man.

shark22 said:
I find myself ignoring or getting frustrated with the tab. Then I just play something that sounds close to the CD. Improv man.

As the others have said, Still Life.

Tabs are hardly ever 100%, although many on powertabs.net are quite good. Most tabbers tend to simplfy the songs (if not outright mistake notes) by chopping chords down to their root and 5th which is quite lame. Using the tabs as a framework and then adjusting by ear is the best way...

I'd have to agree with Still Life and Black Water Park. Although I haven't learned any of the SL songs (yet), BWP is pretty complex. Hell, even songs like The Leper Afinity and The Drapery Falls are complex in themselves.

They're not really difficult for me at least, but that all depends on your experience with your instrument. The fact that Opeth layer five or six guitar tracks down is what makes them complex.

I'd go as far as to say that some of the individual guitar tracks on Still Life are pretty hard. That first lead in 'Godhead's Lament' that Peter plays is very tricky, or at least it is to me.

With BWP you'll find that the riff at 2:14 of 'The Leper Affinity' isn't exactly the easiest they've ever done either. It isn't hard to get down, but the trick lies in playing it fluidly. I think that's the deal with alot of Opeth's songs. Alot of people say 'The Drapery Falls' is really easy but then I've heard newbies make recordings that totally butcher that track.

I am by no means a guitar expert. But when I have attempted to play opeth the easiest songs I fouind were on orchid and morningrise. Whenever I attempted to play songs on still life especially I had a lot of trouble. It was just the layering of guitars, you need like three people to play at once for it to sound complete.

Justin S. said:
As the others have said, Still Life.

Tabs are hardly ever 100%, although many on powertabs.net are quite good. Most tabbers tend to simplfy the songs (if not outright mistake notes) by chopping chords down to their root and 5th which is quite lame. Using the tabs as a framework and then adjusting by ear is the best way...

I find the opposite problem quite often, where the tabbers use excessive detail to make their tabs look better. It gets hard to pick through all the garbage

yep. opeth have a ton of guitar tracks. doesnt really make it harder though. just doesnt sound right without all the tracks.
just remember mike was born with the same number of fingers as the rest of us and that there is no reason you can't eventually play his stuff.
however, if you want to be good (unlike me) stop playing other people's stuff. start writing three chord ditties - exercise your creativity. speed and agility will come naturally with practicing scales and coils for about 4 hours a day.

Moonlapse said:
I'd go as far as to say that some of the individual guitar tracks on Still Life are pretty hard. That first lead in 'Godhead's Lament' that Peter plays is very tricky, or at least it is to me.

Do you mean the one that jumps over the B-string? That one's a bugger to play tight, yeah.

Also, Benighted is really hard to sing&play at the same time.

Yeah, alot of their stuff is hard to sing and play at the same time.. especially the track Blackwater Park. The guitars are doing some weird grooves whilst the vocals are all pretty straight up... it's like you're in syncopation with yourself.

Moonlapse: Noticed that too, when my group tried to play it on the studio. I was thinking, "Yeesh, Lyle(the vocalist) really is having problems with this part," in between laughs.

haha that's why you record each instrument, including vox seperately.

however doing this won't give him practice with playing and singing at the same time. if you were going to play it live, it would be even harder, so maybe that way is better, i dunno.