Difficulty of Guitar and playing opeth

metalisticpain

Elo Elo Elo
Jan 3, 2006
Perth
Ok, i have been thinking for a while of getting a guitar and stuff, but i am not sure, how difficult it is to play? and then how difficult is opeth to play?

Money isnt really an issue, my tax return will cover it :Spin:
But yer i didnt wan to spend the money if i would give it up.

See im kinda unco lol, not the best hand eye co-ordination in the world.

Any help would be great thanks.

seriously, if your inspired enough by the band too play the instrument i say do it. when i started teaching myself though, i reached a point where i couldnt teach myself technique without someone showing me. i didnt hve any friends that played guoitar well so i had to get a teacher who was brilliant and worked out all the opeth songs i wanted to learn by ear. Its amaizng how many things you can learn from just one opeth song.

hey man... first things first... make sure you love music... some people think they do, but they really just like to have a nice soundtrack to their day... its just my opinion... but to pick up an instruemnt music NEEDS to be a huge part of your life, the pople who kind of just pick it up without developing a love for music are the ones who have the guitar sitting in their closets.... so that would be my first point...surround yourself with as much great music, and specifically guitar music that everyday you wake up saying "I have to learn to play like that"...

second... the fact that you dont have the craziest dexterity doesnt matter... anyone can play the guitar... its all a matter of taking the HOURS UPON HOURS of training the little muscles in your hands to make the movements... if you do it for enough years with diligent practice, you too will be shredding like Jeff Loomis. And if not that... you'll be able to play any Opeth song no problem...

Thirdly, some stuff in Opeth songs is difficult. but for the most part... Mike is just really really creative with really simple ideas... there might be some parts that are hard to learn on your own. but if you wrre to take guitar lessons ith a good teacher, youd be able to tackle any Opeth song...

so yea man... buy a cheap guitar to see if you enjoy playing. I would recommend a Fender Squier series guitar... most of them are modeled off of Stratocasters and they are great beginner guitars... and if it turns out that you dont like playing, you wont feel like an idiot for buying a 900 dollar Les Paul.

I tried to pick up guitar in addition to drums and never stuck with it. You should definitely get lessons! I was teaching myself and I got really frustrated. It's hard at first. It seems like a much steeper learning curve than drums. If you have the drive and time to spend at least an hour a day practicing, go for it.

Yes, I think you should definately get a guitar.

I'd recommend you get a Yamaha Pacifica to be your first guitar. I've heard lot's of good things about 'em.

And for the amplifier, I'd say Roland MicroCube. This little thing has been praised everywhere. And only costs ~100e. I have to get one of these myself.

I tought myself piano 5 years ago.
I picked up the guitar a month ago.

Guitar has been much more frustrating than piano. First, it hurts until you get callouses. Second, some chords demand a stretch. I am saying this just because you need to be aware that there are hurdles to jump. But I am playing acoustic. I heard they are much harder than electric. I spent $200 and I am pleased with my purchase.

And hand-eye cordination, well...you shouldn't be using your eyes much once you get the basics down.

Acoustics are harder to play than electrics...

Yamaha Pacificas are also very gfood starter guitars

Definitely go for it. I loved Jimi Hendrix so much that I got a guitar. It's been three years and now I'm shredding like Al Di Meola!

It's a lot of fun and it's always great creating your very own music/art.

I've never had a guitar lesson and I've been playing for 8 years now...probably helps that I got into music at an early age. Started learning piano at the tender age of 3.

The Yamaha Pacifica truly is a good guitar to start with, or one of those Samick packs aren't to bad either.

If you are serious about playing, get at least a few lessons so you don't fall into the bad habits that many new players tend to.
Other than that, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, at least an hour a day.
And practicing doesn't mean running through a song over and over until maybe you can play it correctly 1/10 times, it means warming up and running through your scales, then slowely and accurately learning pieces, ironing them out as you go, and not rushing ahead of yourself.

Buy a cheap guitar and go for it!! Pacifica, squier, ESP...almost all brands have low prize series.
I have been playing for almost 15 years...but I'm just going to tell you a couple of things:

- PATIENCE: Everything seems impossible until the moment you can play it. Then you'll say "man it's amazing, yesterday I couldn't play this and now it seems so easy". I can't tell you why, but It's totally true.:D

- PRACTISE: every day, any moment is good, even if it's just 15 minutes doing any warm exercise or practising 2 or 3 chords.

- Listen to the music you like or you want to play attentively, and think about the way it's played, the chords used, etc...

- And the most important... ENJOY!!!!!

Guitar is a very difficult instrument to play, but after some practise, you won't be able to stop learning and learning. Good luck!;)

Opeth isn't for someone who's JUST picked the instrument up. However, I started learning Patterns in the Ivy about 2 months into my playing.

You'll never jump a hurdle unless you actually attempt it. So whenever you can, throw yourself into the deep end and your ability will acclimatise to what you're trying to play.

A month ago I would've said that I'd never play Malmsteen's 'Blitzkrieg' up to the speed he recorded it at. Well what do you know, a month later, I'm almost there.

It's about being persistent and putting in the hard work to get results. Above all, however, you need to enjoy every single moment of playing the instrument. Never force yourself into doing something you don't enjoy or don't see its relevance to you.

Guitar is a hard instrument to start on.
It's an easy instrument to play crap on.
It's a very hard instrument to play very well.

In that middle point there is where this huge majority of mainstream guitarists seem to fit into. Punk, pop-rock, alternative rock... these are just people who've picked the instrument up, jumped the initial hurdle and then just confined themselves playing simple powerchord rock.

Electrics vs Acoustics

The most difficult type of standard 6-string guitar to play is a steel string acoustic. They require the most pressure applied by your fingers and build playing finesse and endurance. I recommend starting on one of these - I did, and despite making that initial hurdle so many times harder, it jumpstarted my playing ability immeasurably.

There is a version of acoustic guitar that is almost as easy to play as an electric. That would be the nylon-string acoustic. These are used mainly for flamenco and the like. Not the richest of sounds, so I don't play these much.

Electric guitar is the end of the line I guess. I waited about 6-8 months before I got my first electric. Playing electric guitar is a different thing to acoustic. They require different mindsets. Don't be a rock guitarist who just jumps on an acoustic and plays powerchords, and don't be a classical guitarist who just jumps on the electric and plays bach suites. Electric guitars with distortion emphasize upper harmonics. Learn where harmonics occur on the strings, learn pinch harmonics, use bends, use vibratos to your advantage. Do these things that are less impressive and less possible on acoustic guitars. Then when you're too lazy to break out the acoustic, play the bach suites with a clean electric sound :p. But what I'm really trying to say, and I hope I'm not confusing you, is to learn the advantages of each type of guitar and to adjust your playing style to use them.

It's a great instrument to get into. I've been playing for a year and half. It can be frusturating at times but just keep at it.

I started learning opeth and playing guitar at all with a nylon-string acoustic. In my opinion the neck just doesnt fit for Opeth (at least to start with) and slowed me down. I ended up playing other stuff until I bought myself an electric guitar.

Steel-acoustic would have been alot better to start with, and its nice to have it anyway.

Lessons do help you to start, and after a few years of playing, I find lessons still extremely helpful, since I have no clear ideas on how should I advance anymore. (Other than mastering a riff number x and so forth)

And about the roland microcube: I've had hooorrriiibble experiences with it. You can get a better one for cheaper/same price.

I er... extremely skipped all the easy stuff by going straight into Opeth (Forest of October being the first track I learned, minus the first solo, which I just recently finished :/ ), but it was quite fun. I'm always working on something "too hard", ya learn most from such things, in the end.

My current problem is that I cant play anything else than Opeth, and Wish You Were Here : P I'm too picky to choose anything else.

Why do people buy classical (e.i. Nylon String) guitars if they plan on playing rock and metal?
A classical guitar is so different from even a steel string acoustic in so many ways, it's like paying an entirely different instrument.
The neck is wider, and shorter.
The strings are further apart.
And Moonlapse, it is possible to get a very rich and full tone out of a classical guitar if it is played properly (with your fingers), and if it is well built. A 200-300 dollar Fender or Yamaha or whatever that you will find in most guitar stores is not representative of the entire breed.
Spanish built guitars (such as Pavan), or custom hand built classical guitars get very rich, deep (or sparkly) tones, and are pretty loud.

Exactly. I'm always wondering why people buy their kids classical guitars as their first guitars. Sure they increase your finger strength better than an electric, but when you start playing, you wan't to play your songs by your favourite band. In most of the cases, that's a rock/metal band. Go ahead and try for example what Guns N' Roses sounds like, when played with a nylon guitar.

It sounds lame.

I'd say, that the electric guitar is the way to go, when picking a first guitar.

In my opinion acoustic guitars are the best place to start. Nylon strings are perfect because they dont hurt your fingers that much, but you will need to build up calloses eventually. I started puttering with nylon guitars when I started playing, and eventually bought a steel string, and then went to electrics.

Electrics are definately where its at if you want to play Opeth, because there are a few occasions where u will want to play beyond the 12 fret, and unless you have a cut away acoustic you'll be having problems.
Opeth is not an easy place to start playing guitar, music lessons are definately the place to start. If you get a good teacher they may even be able to teach you opeth step by step which is basically the easiest way to learn the songs.

If you want to learn more than just opeth however, I would suggest starting with something a little more simpler ie. basic songs like house of the rising sun, or anything that has just chords.

I love playing guitar, and it takes a while to learn but as long as you practice and stick with it you should be able to play opeth easily in no time! Good Luck!