Album to create an Opethian

I have only tried Ghost Reveries. It worked on my dad. I put on Ghost of Perdition and he liked it from the first second, suprisingly enough.

I don't think Damnation would be a good choice. It would give the listeners the impression Opeth is a prog rock only band.

I'd go with Ghost Reveries or Still Life.

surprised no one said deliverance....that albums pretty easy to like when your new to it..deliverance was the first opeth song i heard, and i was sold

Oddly enough, Ghost Reveries is what made me a fan. For 2 years I tried to get into Opeth and it never successfully caught on with me. Despite everyone telling me I had to listen to them, I never really got any recommendations on what to start with. So I would just dl a bunch of random stuff without any direction. Purchased Ghost Reveries as Best Buy when it first came out and it finally just hit me. I also think Still Life would be a solid intro album. BWP for some reason has never hit me quite like Ghost Reveries or Still Life.

Jibrille said:
Oddly enough, Ghost Reveries is what made me a fan. For 2 years I tried to get into Opeth and it never successfully caught on with me. Despite everyone telling me I had to listen to them, I never really got any recommendations on what to start with. So I would just dl a bunch of random stuff without any direction. Purchased Ghost Reveries as Best Buy when it first came out and it finally just hit me. I also think Still Life would be a solid intro album. BWP for some reason has never hit me quite like Ghost Reveries or Still Life.

well, GR and SL have more balance to them than any of their other albums, which is why they make better intro album. BWP...if you include the bonus tracks...is a great intro album as well, but without them...i dont think it does enough justice (as an intro)

i think BWP. for starters they could listen to say harvest, patterns in the ivy II, just to get used to the music and then move to say TDF or something. i think damnation would be the easy way out, even though i usually introduce people through damnation. like someone else said, it doesnt really represent opeth to the fullest.