Albums currently kicking your ass

I get your post but...I just can't help but think how far we've fallen when Filosofem defines the old school.

Agreed. imo metalcore should be accepted back into the fold and Burzum et al redefined as simply black, or black with metal influences.

I get your post but...I just can't help but think how far we've fallen when Filosofem defines the old school.

Well considering Burzum was at the forefront of Norwegian black metal I think it qualifies as "old school". Besides, it was made in 1993, even if it didn't come out until 1996.

Old school is a relative term, not absolute. A thrash album from 1993 wouldn't be old school, but a black metal album would just because the genre was newer. Sorta like how a punk rock album from 1984 wouldn't be old school, but a thrash metal album would.

Yeah I agree with Zach. Burzum is part of the second wave(?) of black metal bands, and are one of the first of the kind (and Vargs style and interests were old school) so I would say its old school second wave black metal.

Bathory would be old school first wave black metal.

nuclear%2Bassault.JPG

Well considering Burzum was at the forefront of Norwegian black metal I think it qualifies as "old school". Besides, it was made in 1993, even if it didn't come out until 1996.

Old school is a relative term, not absolute. A thrash album from 1993 wouldn't be old school, but a black metal album would just because the genre was newer. Sorta like how a punk rock album from 1984 wouldn't be old school, but a thrash metal album would.

Early Burzum is certainly old school. Filosofem specifically was the start of a lot of modern trends, whether it's awesome itself or not.

Remember I made that thread in the recs section regarding Swedish death metal and got nothing but smart ass answers? Yeah, fuck you. And HOLY SHIT I'm in love.

The+Tomb+Awaits+entrails.jpg

I dunno. It's weird, the guitar tone is awesome, the production is pretty solid, but there's something about it that just never gripped me. Admittedly I'm not a HUGE swe-death fan, but still.

Considering Entombed isn't that great, I can't imagine what I've heard is Entombed worship being worthwhile. However, I haven't personally listened to it, so I can't comment.

What, I'd rather listen to Entombed than Entombed worship, I'd rather listen to Nihilist than Entombed, I'd rather listen to the other top tier swedeath bands than Nihilist, and I'm probably just gonna rock out to Onward To Golgotha in the end, so....what's the point in Entrails again? ;)