Albums currently kicking your ass

^ I've really only listened to 'Lawless Darkness' and I thought it was OK at the time but it didn't leave a lasting impression. People seem to have good things to say about 'Sworn to the Dark' so I do want to give that a listen soon.

beastwars-blood-becomes-fire.jpg

HAM%2B-%2BBuffalo%2BVirgin%2B-%2BLP%2BRECORD-465429.jpg

Just discovered them yesterday on the Corroseum forum in a discussion on early goth rock/metal hybrids. On first impression, you could take some of the songs straight from the album, market them as post-black metal or something, and easily fool people.

EDIT: Seriously, this apparently was from their debut EP in 1988

(begins at 0:34)

Invalidates a good portion of black metal's supposed innovations imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAM%2B-%2BBuffalo%2BVirgin%2B-%2BLP%2BRECORD-465429.jpg

Just discovered them yesterday on the Corroseum forum in a discussion on early goth rock/metal hybrids. On first impression, you could take some of the songs straight from the album, market them as post-black metal or something, and easily fool people.

EDIT: Seriously, this apparently was from their debut EP in 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaDRx6HXIHE (begins at 0:34)

Invalidates a good portion of black metal's supposed innovations imo.

Yeah man, this is some great late 80s music. It really bridges my love of post-punk and black metal. It certainly sounds like they may have a hand in the upcoming black metal scene, but I guess it's easy for a little band from Iceland to be overlooked.

Huh... Went to look it up and they aren't even on MA. Rateyourmusic has very little info or ratings on them either. That makes me doubt their "innovations" had much of an impact on anything, probably about as much as that 60s psychedelia band that used shrieked vocals.

Huh... Went to look it up and they aren't even on MA. Rateyourmusic has very little info or ratings on them either. That makes me doubt their "innovations" had much of an impact on anything, probably about as much as that 60s psychedelia band that used shrieked vocals.

That sounds awesome, which band from the 60s was that?

The Metal-Archives rejected them for not being metal. They definitely look pretty unknown, and I won't say with certainty that they were an influence on the more experimental/divergent black metal bands, but at the very least I think they had a surprising amount of the sound down. At least with Cromagnon (the 60's band you're thinking of) it's basically limited to vocals alone, and those are only vaguely similar to black metal. With this Ham band, there are even similar dissonant tremolo-picked riffs, the vocals are actually legitimately harsh, and apparently they even had something of an anti-Christian aesthetic (guessing purely from the music video; their lyrics all seem to be in Icelandic). FWIW based on the full-length, not all of the songs are like that one, but I'd say at least ~half are.

Epidemic%2Bof%2BViolence%2B2008%2BReissue%2Bcover.jpg

Top five thrash of all time for me. Heavy, aggressive, borderline death metal at times, perfect.

I like Tortured Existence a bit more personally, although they're definitely one of the best brutal thrash bands ever.

Procession-To-Reap-Heavens-Apart.jpg

1365937362_1365910076_8a99a0263d8de1ca2ab8d24d971.jpg