Albums currently kicking your ass

I keep coming back to this album very often. It's so fucking tight and coherent. No weaklings here.
R-1224822-1360639658-4160.jpeg.jpg

Ha, saw them live last year at Ragnarokkr. They were fun but I was stupid drunk for their set. I think I have a patch of their logo though. No idea how I got that. I either got it free, stole it, or drunkenly purchased it. Oh well.

a2740062833_10.jpg

This is AWESOME 80s-inspired modern heavy metal. Nice fucking riffs and sweet leads.

upload_2016-3-3_1-22-37.jpeg

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

This used to unquestionably be my favourite black metal record, but it's such an emotionally draining experience that I rarely listen to it anymore. This is the first time in like 3 years. The first track especially makes me feel things I don't want to feel. I've always thought the the title track was underrated, I think it's the best song here, or at least tied with Det Som and one of the best black metal songs ever. The way it builds up in layers is genius.

^my exact feelings. been saying the same about the title track for years. there used to be a guy on here who insisted track 3 was the best, i like it a lot but i could never go that far.

Naw man, Volume I is one of the darkest and most mystical (and magical) albums of all time. The atmosphere is soaked with far more darkness and evil than the other 2 Pagan Altar albums, but that isn't much of a criticism to their quality but a criticism to what I truly enjoy in my doom metal. Lord of Hypocrisy and Mythical and Magical are "lighter" in their tone and thematic concept.

I dunno, I agree that Volume I sounds darker and has darker theatrics. But while satan and occult rituals are pretty dark and all, I think Lords of Hypocrisy is more down to earth and connected to reality which imo makes the themes it explores feel darker, more scary and more depressing to me.
Both albums are fantastic really though and The Black Mass is probably their, if not their best (but probably that too) their coolest song atleast!

Mythical and Magical, while also an awsome album is pretty clearly a step down from the other two imo.

Last edited:
Eh, it's only a marginal step down. It's a bit too long but it contains some amazing songs. I see your point with LOH though. "The Masquerade" is definitely one of their most heartfelt and amazing songs.