Albums currently kicking your ass

R_3509237_1365489992_3123_jpeg.jpg

@crimsonfloyd Everything they did from When Day and Dream Unite to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is great. Beyond that, it's rather questionable. In truth, I think they got boring after Octavarium.

I own the majority of their albums, but the only two I really go back and listen to are Images and Words and Awake. There are a couple good songs on the other inconsistent albums, like Train of Thought and Octavarium. Those first two are the only complete solid albums I've heard from them though.

I was big into DT in like 1995, but Falling Into Infinity in 1997 killed it for me, and I still think that is their worst album. I kept buying their albums because I was young and naive, hoping they'd get back to the feel of Images and Words, but they never did.

Awake is their best for me. That was Petrucci at his tasteful best imo. l dig some of Images and Words and l don't mind Six Degrees but i've not bothered with much else. The Kevin Moore era was best.

Reactions: Baroque
I own the majority of their albums, but the only two I really go back and listen to are Images and Words and Awake. There are a couple good songs on the other inconsistent albums, like Train of Thought and Octavarium. Those first two are the only complete solid albums I've heard from them though.

I was big into DT in like 1995, but Falling Into Infinity in 1997 killed it for me, and I still think that is their worst album. I kept buying their albums because I was young and naive, hoping they'd get back to the feel of Images and Words, but they never did.
That's sort of why I preferred SX overall to them back when that debate was still annoying popular. They just felt far more consistent than Dream Theater and their songwriting managed to last much longer unlike Dream Theater after Moore left the band. In fact, that probably applies to a lot of other prog metal bands as well. Not to mention that James clearly had no idea how to utilize his strengths after his illness. Seriously, he's still a fantastic vocalist but he keeps overreaching and that diminishes his performance all the time.

Also, I sort of agree with you on Falling into Infinity. That was a rather lackluster album.

I don't like Symphony X but the vocalist is really good. I wish that their music was as interesting as his voice.

He has done some side projects, some bad some decent

I don't see how their music is less interesting than trad metal you listen to. It's more varied in terms of key changes rhythm changes, compositional style etc etc

Interestingly enough, none of those things automatically make something more interesting. I think it's obvious that they play their instruments well, but that's not all that goes into making music that everyone will enjoy. A lot of their stuff isn't that interesting, like that ridiculously long song from one of the mixtapes.

Interestingly enough, none of those things automatically make something more interesting. I think it's obvious that they play their instruments well, but that's not all that goes into making music that everyone will enjoy. A lot of their stuff isn't that interesting, like that ridiculously long song from one of the mixtapes.

Have you studied classical music at all?

If you have studied classical music, and like metal, it's kind of a no-brainer to enjoy their style of music. If you can't appreciate classical i can see why you wouldn't like it.

I never said everyone should enjoy it. Just that it's more interesting. That's an opinion btw, I think their music is more interesting than most of trad metal.

My wife and I have both studied classical music and taken music lessons and she was a professional musician and music teacher years ago. Both of us enjoy a lot of metal bands, but neither of us enjoy pale imitations of classical music as represented by bands like Symphony X.

There definitely is no objective way that you can say someone should like both. It might be your opinion, but it ends there.

My wife and I have both studied classical music and taken music lessons and she was a professional musician and music teacher years ago. Both of us enjoy a lot of metal bands, but neither of us enjoy pale imitations of classical music as represented by bands like Symphony X.

There definitely is no objective way that you can say someone should like both. It might be your opinion, but it ends there.

I think you haven't heard enough of them. Pale imitations? They quote composers like Mozart directly:

(start at 2:20)

This could easily be part of a film score:

This too:

I'm not even going to bother because it's obvious that you want to argue. I'll still listen to the songs tomorrow, but you are pretty obnoxious.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, man, I already apologized for this. It was my first submission and in my defense, it DID fit the theme.