Albums currently kicking your ass

356282.jpg

A lot of people seem to think this album is just a tired facsimile of Voivod's old style, an insincere "return to the roots" à la Death Magnetic. I strongly disagree. I feel like they've integrated the more straightforward, upbeat, almost hard-rocky style of their 00s output with the weirdness of their 80s material and the end result really clicks with me. It's not as vital as their classic work nor as tight as the Post Society EP but god damn it's still fucking good. It's amazing to me how strong this band is still going three fucking decades into their career even after losing their most indispensable member.

A lot of people seem to think this album is just a tired facsimile of Voivod's old style, an insincere "return to the roots" à la Death Magnetic. I strongly disagree. I feel like they've integrated the more straightforward, upbeat, almost hard-rocky style of their 00s output with the weirdness of their 80s material

Very well said. I think its just as good, if not better than Post Society though.

Nothing on this album has the emotional impact of Cauldron of Blood or Psionic Illuminations.

Great songs for sure, especially "Psionic Illuminations" for me. Might even be the gem of that album overall, but too many of my all-timers are on the sophomore. That album is just overflowing with metal magic.

Reactions: EspaDa
28172.jpg

griffin_protectors_of_the_lair-500x500.jpg

People overrate The Force a lot but it's still a pretty awesome thrash metal album. As for Protectors of the Lair, I don't understand the hate some have for it. It's definitely thrashier than their debut but it's still epic and manages to stand out somewhat in a year that is bursting at the gills with exemplary material.

Reactions: Atomic Tide and CiG