Albums currently kicking your ass

1543.jpg

black_sabbath_cover-small500.jpg

While anytime is a good time to listen to this album it sounds even more great this time of year. I remember when the final rankings for Sabbath's discography were posted here someone quoted me from back when this album turned 40 and my sentiments are pretty much the same as what I wrote back then. No matter how many times you may have heard this album there's still something special about it.

I wonder if more info will ever come out about the girl on the cover or if she'll forever remain a metal enigma, which actually seems fairly appropriate.

It's seriously pretty much a perfect album. Of everything I've first-listened over the last 6 years, it's probably my favorite. Vocalist is a madman that has at least three distinct voices and doesn't show the slightest hint of restraint. The riffs are technical yet catchy and varied. Utilizes all worthwhile forms of riffing techniques. Production is immaculate yet harsh. The treble makes the harmonized tremolo-riffs sound like surf rock composed on a harp some place in Ancient Greece. The bass creates the most turbulent driving muck that could make Demilich fans jumpdafuckup and metalcore fans turn to undulating ooze. The leads range from insanity to tempered melodic restraint that can even go head-to-head with LaRoque on Black Horsemen. If I didn't put a mental barrier between stuff I discovered pre-2010 and 2010-beyond I could call it my favorite album, it's easily the one that produces the greatest visceral reaction in me right now at least.

I saved listening to Pod Vládou Biče, their preceding album, until last year, but from the few listens I've given it, it's at least very close in quality, so check that one out too.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
yea i like it a lot :)

only subpar songs are the 7 minute one and the weird opening riff of Betrayer though the rest of the song is good

all the rest are great

Last edited:
524.jpg

Anyone remember a thread here from ages ago, something like "Moments in songs that send shivers down your spine" or something like that? All of "Kill in the Spirit World" fits that criteria, especially that part after the solo when Martin belts out "When heaven is closer, ITS PLEASURE AND PAAAAAAIIIINNNNNNN". Amazing singing.