Albums currently kicking your ass

Morpheus Descends - Chronicles of the Shadowed Ones

Fleshcrawl - Descend into the Absurd

Taking a break from the 2018 re-listening by playing both these monstrously crushing masterpieces. Both exceptional examples of how to do doomy death metal, you know by actually having dynamics and subtlety.

Last edited:
709391.jpg

I'm really digging the laid back melodies these dudes put together. A nice change of pace.

a3112919360_10.jpg

Sorcier des Glaces - Sorcier des Glaces

Okay, so after a few listens this is good. Uneven, though. There's a few "atmospheric" parts which don't serve much purpose other than to pad the song out. But then there's plenty of gorgeously evocative melodic parts that are the trademark of this band. And there's even some vitriolic black/thrash assaults through the song.

I am not a fan of the one long song format so for that reason this is never going to be a favourite of theirs for me. It's definitely a step down from North in my eyes, but it's filled with plenty of really good moments that are better than most black metal coming out these days.

I'll add that I think Sebastien is currently one of the best vocalists in the genre and his voice is in fine form here. Doesn't use as many as the deeper growls from North, though.

Last edited: