Albums currently kicking your ass

I can't be teenage you, because I didn't fail A Level maths.

Urgehal - Arma Christi

Revisiting this for the purposes of the 1997 thread. Competent Darkthrone/Gorgoroth style black metal with a definite first-wave influence. Moments of almost brilliance. Won't make my list, but not bad.

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

Love the first 4 tracks on this and always have, but it starts to lose momentum in the second half for me with less memorable melodies and songwriting.

612.jpg

Probably equivalent to AP calculus in America. Or at least parts of it. Does AP calculus cover calculus on trig and exponential functions?

This question below is the highest level of calculus required for A Level maths.

Can't seem to attach the image. Anyway, it's Q6 on this paper: https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.co...pers-Edexcel/January 2013 QP - C4 Edexcel.pdf

Using integration to find the volume of the solid formed by curves when they are rotated 360 degrees around the x-axis.

Last edited:
No idea what your University calculus stuff entailed. But for me it was: multivariable calculus (so tangents and normal to planes), differential equations, partial differential equations, calculus in the complex plane and vector calculus. Fun stuff (except vector calculus, which I hated). I miss it. I looked up my Uni notes recently and started to think I must have been fucking high to understand that shit at the time. Half of it is nonsense to me now.

Calculus is by far my favourite branch of maths.

Probably equivalent to AP calculus in America. Or at least parts of it. Does AP calculus cover calculus on trig and exponential functions?

This question below is the highest level of calculus required for A Level maths.

Can't seem to attach the image. Anyway, it's Q6 on this paper: https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Maths/A-level/C4/Papers-Edexcel/January 2013 QP - C4 Edexcel.pdf

Using integration to find the volume of the solid formed by curves when they are rotated 360 degrees around the x-axis.

At one point in time roughly 14 years ago I would have been able to do this no problem. Senior year high school calculus sounds like an equivalent. Fucked if I could do it now at all though. I remember having a competition with a buddy of mine who could score higher on all of the exams. I think he won, but we were both among the best students in the class. He used to be impressed that I would get stoned after school with some other friends and still not be a deadbeat. We met back up on college for a year and basically did the same thing in Calc I (the highest level I needed) while berating the teacher for being one of those scattered foreigners who you couldnt even understand. Good times.

Reactions: Phylactery
No idea what your University calculus stuff entailed. But for me it was: multivariable calculus (so tangents and normal to planes), differential equations, partial differential equations, calculus in the complex plane and vector calculus. Fun stuff (except vector calculus, which I hated). I miss it. I looked up my Uni notes recently and started to think I must have been fucking high to understand that shit at the time. Half of it is nonsense to me now.

Calculus is by far my favourite branch of maths.

My AP calc got up to touching on partial differential equations. I still am clueless about partial differentiation and implicit differentiation. When I was studying for the actuarial exams I had to reach myself at least a small amount of calculus.

University calc was as watered down as you could get but it helped me understand a second time around. I had a good professor. People had serious trouble with the FOIL method of factoring and it boggled my mind.

Reactions: Phylactery
At one point in time roughly 14 years ago I would have been able to do this no problem. Senior year high school calculus sounds like an equivalent. Fucked if I could do it now at all though. I remember having a competition with a buddy of mine who could score higher on all of the exams. I think he won, but we were both among the best students in the class. He used to be impressed that I would get stoned after school with some other friends and still not be a deadbeat. We met back up on college for a year and basically did the same thing in Calc I (the highest level I needed) while berating the teacher for being one of those scattered foreigners who you couldnt even understand. Good times.

So is that around age 16-18? Cos that’s A Level maths. Also, is AP calculus an option, or do all students do it?

Here, after 16, you go on to college or sixth form and your pick your 3-4 A Levels. For example, I picked maths, biology, history and chemistry. But most people don’t pick A Level maths, and I’d say at least half, if not more students don’t even do A Levels after school (you finish school at 16). It’s been a recent law that they have to be in education until you’re 18. But to do A Levels you need high grades in the exams you take at the end of school. A lot of people instead opt to do less academic courses, often involving apprenticeships or more hands on skills such as catering, building, motor vehicle stuff, etc.

Ozzman - implicit differentiation is covered in A Level maths. Fun stuff. I’ve only heard of the FOIL (First Outside Inside Last, right?) method for expanding double brackets, not factorising quadratic equations.

So is that around age 16-18? Cos that’s A Level maths. Also, is AP calculus an option, or do all students do it?

I was 16-17, or my last year of high school (I was on the younger end of the cusp though, I started college at 17). Not all students I was going with took Calc. Calc was the typical class you take in your senior high school year if you are college bound. Around 1/3 of normals most likely going to trade schools would take something like advanced algebra or trig, I dont really know tbh. Then a small amount of the rich kids with pushy snotty parents will take what you are calling AP Calc, which qualified as college credits for Calc I in college. I was more of a slacker, so I never took any AP classes.

Here, after 16, you go on to college or sixth form and your pick your 3-4 A Levels. For example, I picked maths, biology, history and chemistry. But most people don’t pick A Level maths, and I’d say at least half, if not more students don’t even do A Levels after school (you finish school at 16). It’s been a recent law that they have to be in education until you’re 18. But to do A Levels you need high grades in the exams you take at the end of school. A lot of people instead opt to do less academic courses, often involving apprenticeships or more hands on skills such as catering, building, motor vehicle stuff, etc.

A levels sound like they correspond more with what we are calling AP, but from what I can tell the A-levels are a bit more competitive in some ways. I was able to go to college without taking any AP classes for instance, but im not sure if you guys get into college without A levels.

I’m super confused with what college is for you haha. We call college where you go from 16-18, which you seem to be calling senior year of high school. A Levels are what you need to get into university (which you generally attend from 18-21, if you go) if you want to do any kind of academic course. To do a degree in maths at university you would need a maths A Level (with a decent grade) for example.

My degree is actually a dual honours degree in maths and chemistry because they were all the rage at the time. I just did maths in my final year, though. So it’s considered a maths major. Degree level chemistry I actually found way easier than A Level chemistry because a lot of it was glorified maths.

I find your education system super confusing in general. You probably feel the same about ours.

Last edited:
I’m super confused with what college is for you haha. We call college where you go from 16-18, which you seem to be calling senior year of high school. A Levels are what you need to get into university (which you generally attend from 18-21, if you go) if you want to do any kind of academic course. To do a degree in maths at university you would need a maths A Level (with a decent grade) for example.

Oh, we consider college and university as somewhat synonymous, but we have 2 years "colleges" you can attend at a more local level that offer "associate" degrees and nobody calls that university. Universities are places where you get bachelors (4 year) degrees plus post-graduate level education.

My degree is actually a dual honours degree in maths and chemistry because they were all the rage at the time. I just did maths in my final year, though. So it’s considered a maths major. Degree level chemistry I actually found way easier than A Level chemistry because a lot of it was glorified maths.

I have a bachelors of arts degree in molecular biology and biochemistry. Not much math required actually.

I find your education system super confusing in general. You probably feel the same about ours.

Yea, the feeling is mutual. Im still trying to wrap my mind about equivalencies, and I can't quite pinpoint it. Your A-levels almost sound like the first two years of college/university, but without quite the same end-game. I wouldnt be surprised if your schools prepare you at about a grade level more advanced before university than ours from what im seeing.