Albums currently kicking your ass

I was dead set on going to med school

My sister told me about a year ago that if one of us had wanted to attend med school, my Dad would have paid for it (he's an MD). Still kicking myself for not keeping that as an option for post undergrad. My Dad was super stressed all the time from work and I wanted none of that.

So is that around age 16-18? Cos that’s A Level maths. Also, is AP calculus an option, or do all students do it?

Here, after 16, you go on to college or sixth form and your pick your 3-4 A Levels. For example, I picked maths, biology, history and chemistry. But most people don’t pick A Level maths, and I’d say at least half, if not more students don’t even do A Levels after school (you finish school at 16). It’s been a recent law that they have to be in education until you’re 18. But to do A Levels you need high grades in the exams you take at the end of school. A lot of people instead opt to do less academic courses, often involving apprenticeships or more hands on skills such as catering, building, motor vehicle stuff, etc.

Ozzman - implicit differentiation is covered in A Level maths. Fun stuff. I’ve only heard of the FOIL (First Outside Inside Last, right?) method for expanding double brackets, not factorising quadratic equations.

and i should've pointed out that i did my maths qualifications 2 years early, biatch

Reactions: Phylactery
Haha nice. Also got my degree in biochem and applying to med school now. I can empathize with getting denied a bunch. The competition is absolutely unreal. Scored 520 (98% percentile) on my entrance exam and have yet to get an acceptance this cycle. Granted I lack clinical experience so hopefully next cycle will be a little better with that under my belt. I thought about the PhD route but my understanding is that the job opportunities are both far more limited and pay less. Of course that's not the ultimate deciding factor. Do what you're happy with. Fortunately, pathology is right up my ally of sticking in a lab but also not spending my life obsessing on some minutia like how many alpha-helices in the protoplasmic cylinder of some obscure bacterium

The best TON album. Change my mind.

71en6Kj3sGL._SX522_.jpg

Would really like to do a poll for this band

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
and i should've pointed out that i did my maths qualifications 2 years early, biatch

Did you take your gcse or A Level 2 years early? Or both? If it’s the A Level 2 years early, that’s why I’m not particularly a fan of pushing students on to it an early age - clearly didn’t work out very well for you. Whereas if you’d have done it at the correct time you’d have almost certainly done much better. And perhaps would have continued on with maths. Did you even like maths p?

I once taught a student that had come in to year 7 with an A* in gcse maths. We didn’t push him straight on to A Level for this reason.

Last edited:
Did you take your gcse or A Level 2 years early? Or both? If it’s the A Level 2 years early, that’s why I’m not particularly a fan of pushing students on to it an early age - clearly didn’t work out very well for you. Whereas if you’d have done it at the correct time you’d have almost certainly done much better. And perhaps would have continued on with maths.

I once taught a student that had come in to year 7 with an A* in gcse maths. We didn’t push him straight on to A Level for this reason.

Freshman/1st year: Honors Algebra
Sophomore/2nd: Honors Geometry/Alg 2
Junior/3rd: Honors Algebra 2/Trig/Analysis (pre calculus basically)
4th: AP Calculus (Grade of D/Score of 1 out of a possible 5 on the exam because I left half the exam blank)

I had the same math teacher all 4 years and he was terrible

Freshman year of college: Business Calculus (Scored an A grade)

1832.jpg

Holy shit, first time hearing this one from 1997. Give it a shot if you're into any progressive metal. Sort of a mix of DT/SX with less cheese, and kick ass thrashy drumming sections

[EDIT] Also Calculus is beginner shit

Reactions: CiG
1832.jpg

Holy shit, first time hearing this one from 1997. Give it a shot if you're into any progressive metal. Sort of a mix of DT/SX with less cheese, and kick ass thrashy drumming sections

[EDIT] Also Calculus is beginner shit

I'm aware it's beginner shit, you math nerds

Anyway, I bought 3 Eldritch albums as a blind buy and I didn't really like any of them but this one was the most enjoyable of the three. I'm really surprised I didn't like them though.

I’ll let the PhD students and professors still exploring branches of calculus that it’s “begginer shit”. They probably didn’t get the memo.

Did you take your gcse or A Level 2 years early? Or both? If it’s the A Level 2 years early, that’s why I’m not particularly a fan of pushing students on to it an early age - clearly didn’t work out very well for you. Whereas if you’d have done it at the correct time you’d have almost certainly done much better. And perhaps would have continued on with maths. Did you even like maths p?

well i did everything a year early 'cause of skipping a grade (if anything i think i would've benefited hugely from skipping another, but i digress) so maybe that doesn't mean much. on top of that, those of us who got level 8 in the year 9 SATs were put in an express group for GCSE. this worked ok for me as i got an A despite that being the height of my lazy shit phase, but then we did the AS in year 11 and that's when i hit the wall. i failed (or got an E, anyway), dropped into the normal AS level set in year 12 and repeated it, did better but still not great. i'm not sure doing it early was the problem honestly, pretty sure it's just a leap i don't have the brain for. it always felt to me that there was a difference in kind as well as degree, like A Level maths not only required more thought but a different kind of thinking that i wasn't really capable of. maybe more memory-based and less and less reliant on the pure arithmetic at which i was prodigiously talented?

i mean, i think if i was given 5 years and took it really slow i could get an A in it or something, so you're right in a way, but an extra year wasn't enough. i found A Level maths was kind of like a house of cards: each layer is built on the previous, and if you miss out a layer or are too slow to build it fully before moving to the next one, you're kind of fucked for the whole year unless you can catch up. that's how i felt a lot of the time, like the reason others were excelling was because the basics of the course had become second nature to them, whereas i just wasn't retaining the formulas and whatnot quickly enough.

i should also point out that my interest had really started to shift into the arts at that point, i became way more interested in literacy-based subjects than numeracy, and i've always had a problem retaining information that doesn't interest me. this is probably bullshit but i sometimes wonder if 12 year old me would've been better at A Level maths than 15-17 year old me was, as ludicrous as that sounds. i loved maths back then. anyway, in A Level i liked and was generally good at statistics, struggled with pure and fucking hated mechanics, if that tells you anything lol

funnily enough, this process repeated itself at university: i did foundational logic and aced it, was the best in my class, so i decided to do advanced logic and almost totally flunked it, it dragged my average down by several points and was the sole reason i didn't get a first in my degree.

Interesting. Perhaps you do buck the trend, but all trends lead to someone like you (high SAT scores) easily achieving a high grade at A Leve maths. There is a big jump from GCSE maths to A Level maths, but not quite as large as you’re suggeting. I think the jump from AS to A2 is bigger, personally. They do a further maths GCSE these days which kind of bridges that gap between normal GCSE and A Level. That would have probably helped. Students who take their GCSE a year early tend to do the further maths GCSE in year 11 which would have probably benefited you rather than doing the AS in year 11.

I found statistics to be hideously boring, but pretty easy. Got a B on that module I think. The “pure” stuff was by far my favourite part about it.

I’m a bit different to you. I loved maths in primary school. And then I hated it for the first few years of high school - found it boring and couldn’t see the relevance of it. I was always top set, but my test results were continuously towards the bottom of the class. Then I got to year 10 and something changed. For whatever reason it suddenly started really interesting me and I decided I was going to do well in my gcse. Ended up in the top 3 of my class. My real interest in the subject began at A Level - there were still too many topics at gcse that to me felt like basic numeracy skills than actual maths.

Last edited:
I’m super confused with what college is for you haha. We call college where you go from 16-18, which you seem to be calling senior year of high school. A Levels are what you need to get into university (which you generally attend from 18-21, if you go) if you want to do any kind of academic course. To do a degree in maths at university you would need a maths A Level (with a decent grade) for example.

My degree is actually a dual honours degree in maths and chemistry because they were all the rage at the time. I just did maths in my final year, though. So it’s considered a maths major. Degree level chemistry I actually found way easier than A Level chemistry because a lot of it was glorified maths.

I find your education system super confusing in general. You probably feel the same about ours.

giphy.gif

9V8KtiP.png