Albums currently kicking your ass

334601.jpg

This is really solid swedish osdm (which the album art does not imply)
One of the better death metal albums this year... It may be better than some releases I'm not willing to admit it beats... It's full of energy... Some of these songs sound like a straight up swedish chainsaw rampage.

336090.jpg

This still is kicking my ass. I'm not sure this has been the greatest year for metal but this has been my favorite release by far. If you even think you like symphonic metal, especially the black kind you absolutely have to check this shit out immediately. It's symphonic black metal perfection for the third straight full length. As far as I'm concerned this album cements these guys as the best symphonic black metal band, ever.

The lyrics in some parts of this album completely kill any mood there was.

This is really the album where Ildjarn put it all together. What an amazing work.

2599546.jpg

Just getting into Ohtar. Wonderfully odd and unsettling melodies. Some of the better "depressive" black metal I've heard.

115282900.jpg

It's better than Wormwood imo. Serpent Sermon's a strong album, some of the songs are excellent (Title track, Souls for Belial, Into Second Death, Messianic Pestilence). But I wouldn't compare it to Plague Angel, which is one of my favorite Marduk albums.

I though both Rom and Wormwood felt more relevant than anything Marduk has ever done pretty much. I loved the new direction. I havent listened alot to Serpent Sermon but so far it is very unimpressive for me. I noticed that most songs have parts that I really like but that its dragged down by other parts in the same song.

Example (I might get the tracks wrong since I dont have the album here to listen to): I love the chorus in the first song but find the verse really boring. In the second track its the reverse, I live the verse but dislike the chorus. And on it goes :(

Handful of Stars has grown on me. At first I fucking hated it, but the more and more Ive listened to it, I realized its not too bad, just different than what I was used to. But I would skip Microcosmos and replace it with Blood In Our Wells. Those three are the essentials when it comes to Drudkh imo.

I like most Drudkh, including Handful of Stars, but the new album was disapointing. It more back to the roots but it doesnt have that feeling that was what made Drudkh feel special on Blood in our Wells for example. Sure there are parts I like but overall its not good enough for me to buy. And I really miss that certain things they always incorporated that made thing more interesting are now downplayed - the bass playing for example. Its was great on Blood in our Wells - now its mostly standardized :/

I think Plague Angel is their best album with Mortuus.

I agree with this.

I like Serpent Sermon quite a bit. If the bonus track from the digibook edition were to replace Souls for Belial it would be rated much higher for me though. Bonus track...amazing. Souls for Belial? Bleh. Lacking song writing as it was clearly meant to play on Mortuus's vocals.

Right now The Cleansing - Poisoned Legacy is really kicking my ass. Awesome album. Alot of great songs but the highlight is definitly Ghost Lights.

31042_the_cleansing_poisoned_legacy.jpg

The second album is also very good and can't wait for the third one. Seems like I'm a sucker for Danish DM. Though Iniquity is and will always be the best danish death metal band ever. Five Across The Eyes FTW