Albums currently kicking your ass

11082.jpg

I think the 00s was a better decade for Manilla Road than the 80s. Not many weak moments on this or any of the other three albums. You notice that they really had a clear and strong vision of what they wanted to accomplish before going into the studio, as if they finally realized who they are. Meanwhile, almost every 80s album is somewhat unfocused stylistically, sometimes leaping from epic heavy metal to rock'n'roll to thrash within a couple of minutes.

I think the 00s was a better decade for Manilla Road than the 80s. Not many weak moments on this or any of the other three albums. You notice that they really had a clear and strong vision of what they wanted to accomplish before going into the studio, as if they finally realized who they are. Meanwhile, almost every 80s album is somewhat unfocused stylistically, sometimes leaping from epic heavy metal to rock'n'roll to thrash within a couple of minutes.

Okay, so...while I agree that post-reunion Manilla Road is excellent, to the point that I wrote an article about it...the suggestion that its' superior to their 80s works pretty much falls flat. The stylistic variation within albums is also no more prevalent than it is on the newer albums either.

Okay, so...while I agree that post-reunion Manilla Road is excellent, to the point that I wrote an article about it...the suggestion that its' superior to their 80s works pretty much falls flat. The stylistic variation within albums is also no more prevalent than it is on the newer albums either.

I think you could say that the albums of the last decade all tend towards a sound that falls somewhere between The Deluge (melodicity) and Out of the Abyss (aggression). You certainly won't find any stylistic leaps as big as on Crystal Logic, where e.g "Necropolis" sounds like Iron Maiden while "Feeling Free Again" is closer to Hell Bent For Leather era Judas Priest.

I'm not trying to put down their 80s output or anything; every album is a joy to listen to, and Open the Gates and The Deluge are probably my favourite albums, but if you compare the collective output of the two decadess I like the 00s better.

Torture is better than I hoped. It had me ferociously headbanging in my car on the way home from buying it.

I'm also a little amazed how good the new Napalm Death is, which I bought also because it was on sale for 9.99. :)

Torture is alright but slightly worse than their last few efforts imo.

True, I was anticipating this one, love "Carving Out the Eyes of God" and "Blood for the Master" is fucking great. The band gets better with each release in my opinion. They're currently one of my favorite bands.
I agree. I fell in love with Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun and am happier every release now.

Saw them live a week ago (third time, actually). Killer set, and the frontman is fucking awesome.
I've seen them twice. They do put on an amazing show.