Albums currently kicking your ass

Can't even understand what they are saying and I don't care. Lyrics don't even matter that much. The problem with Warning is more how fucking awful that voice sounds. Almost as annoying as Neutral Milk Hotel vocals. I can't stand that kind of strained vocal where it sounds like the singer is trying to push out a stubborn turd.

I mean, let me put it this way, why would I want to listen to Warning when bands like Spirit Adrift exist in the same style but with vocals that don't annoy me and songwriting that doesn't bore me?

you know who has way more overwrought and whiny vocals? my dying bride!

nmh own your fag0t soul btw

61-a1ZA72OL.jpg

The second Whore album is nowhere near as good, but still rules in a generic Razorback Records band kind of way.
I've been meaning to get to it ever since both bands have been back on my radar. Perhaps this was the reminder I needed.

I don't believe people who say stuff like this. Suppose you really liked some doom metal record, thought it was epic, great riffs, etc. and then you later found out that the lyrics were all about having buttsex orgies in animal costumes, and you looked through the cd booklet (or whatever) and saw just pictures of people in animal costumes having buttsex with each other. I think this would have some kind of effect on you. I don't think listening to that music would be quite the same experience for you after that.

But even if your experience of it remained the same, I think that would only be the case because you actively forced the lyrical subject matter out of your mind, because doom metal records cannot be about having buttsex in animal costumes. It's simply not a thing! Those things don't even remotely go together. You couldn't take a doom metal record seriously if you thought of it that way. And that's why, by the way, doom metal bands don't go in for subject matter like animal costume buttsex orgies.

If lyrics didn't matter, then metal bands would just put out records with random lyrics about nothing at all, or about completely random subject matter, or they'd just make grunting noises that didn't correspond to real words at all. That would be easier, wouldn't it? Nobody can tell what they're saying, so who cares? But in fact there are lyrical norms in metal. Your position has to be that virtually the whole history of extreme/underground metal is built on a confusion.

I don't believe that there is such a thing as listening to music as pure sound if you are an adult human being, even if it's purely instrumental music. So I think people who say they don't care about lyrics at all are usually full of shit. You may not care about the gritty details of the lyrics of music you listen to, but I do believe that when you listen to it, you are not approaching it as though it's pure sound, but rather as sound associated with certain concepts and themes. Even that grants too much, actually, because I think that grown-ass human beings actually experience various musical sounds as fundamentally inseparable from the themes and concepts they're associated with. That is to say, they don't hear them as a coupling of sound and theme/concept. Rather, they hear the themes/concepts in the sound that's playing, and they approach music with expectations beyond even just that. So I think the "I don't care at all about lyrics" people are either lying or just confused.

I listen to tons and tons of metal in languages I don't understand and I never look up the translations. I remember looking up the lyrics to one of my favorite death metal records, None So Vile by Cryptopsy, and thinking "there's no fucking way these grunts correspond to these lyrics."

I think your hypothetical animal costume buttsex doom metal album would be fine, as long as the music was good. I listen to lots of instrumental music even, music isn't just "pure sound," even if you don't care about the lyrics. It's about the emotions that the music brings out in you. Drudkh is one of my favorite black metal bands and I don't speak their language, I don't know what they are saying.

Let me put it this way, this is one of my favorite songs ever:

I don't know what Famine is saying. I don't speak French. I don't care. Knowing what he was saying wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the song because what I like about it (the juxtaposition of extremely harsh screaming and black metal with a beautiful melodic acoustic lead) has nothing to do with what he's saying.

Also fuck a theme and concept. Fuck all that pretentious bullshit. Music is about bringing about some kind of emotional resonance, that's what I'm in it for. Something that makes me feel. That's one reason why I listen to extreme metal. I don't want to know what they are saying.

you know who has way more overwrought and whiny vocals? my dying bride!

nmh own your fag0t soul btw

You take that back Aaron is a beautiful soul

Lyrics must matter because he specifically complained about the lyrics of the Warning album earlier in the conversation.

Just one more ingredient in the stew of awfulness. Not the worst ingredient, that would be the awfully repetitive songwriting, but one of the ingredients.

Officially writing this cunt off and I'm not even a Warning fanboy. Never seen someone post so many fuccboi opinions in such a short period.

Anyways, fuck this weather man.

ss-big.jpg

I was listening to metal when you were in diapers junior, respect your elders
I never cease to be entertained by homunculi like yourself that live past thirty or forty or however many years of age, then use that as a trait to command veneration. As though managing not to die and go through the human aging process in advance of another somehow confers a nebulous blanketing of some manner of superiority. A fool is fool, a wise man is wise, no matter how few or many wrinkles upon his brow. Luckily for yourself, you'll be perpetually consigned to the fabricated bliss of the former.

Reactions: CiG