Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

Death was real good. Except Chuck was a fucking terrible fucking singer.

Hahaha why you think he was that bad? Im asking because it's the first time i see someone disliking Chuck's vocals.

@Allfader : Hey man, can you give me some fretless tips? Im playing some Death songs and for me they are good but you play fretless since some years isn't? I play bass for 6 years but just 9 months with a fretless so i want to play it very well and without silly mistakes :rolleyes:

Sigurðr;9915807 said:
Hahaha why you think he was that bad? Im asking because it's the first time i see someone disliking Chuck's vocals

Because most of us who love Death loved Chuck! But he is the worst famous metal singer after Laiho from Children of Bottom (pun). Sound of Perseverance is one of the best metal album ever, and would clearly be the best if someone other than Chuck was singing. He sounds like a dying cat.

I hate to say it, but it's true. Doesn't mean Death isn't one of my favorite bands ever, just that whether or not Chuck had a good voice, he chose to shriek into the microphone.

Because most of us who love Death loved Chuck! But he is the worst famous metal singer after Laiho from Children of Bottom (pun). Sound of Perseverance is one of the best metal album ever, and would clearly be the best if someone other than Chuck was singing. He sounds like a dying cat.

I hate to say it, but it's true. Doesn't mean Death isn't one of my favorite bands ever, just that whether or not Chuck had a good voice, he chose to shriek into the microphone.

Oh i think i know what are you talking about, the "new" vocals after Individual thought patterns right? From "Symbolic" to "The sound of" his vocals were way more high and "hard rock" than the others, i read a lot of comments about this, and it's true, some people only like his old vocals and other his last vocal style, but i simply can't dislike both of them haha I love all the albums and the vocals , they are pretty different and i like to hear some old songs with his high vocals like "Live Eindhoven" or "L.A" and some years ago i was in a Death tribute concert and one of the bands played Scavenger of the human sorrow but the vocal sang with a fucking awesome growl, like Deicide, man that shit was awesome :p:p I was dying in the mosh pit :rolleyes:

Sigurðr;9916088 said:
...and i like to hear some old songs with his high vocals like "Live Eindhoven" or "L.A" and some years ago i was in a Death tribute concert and one of the bands played Scavenger of the human sorrow but the vocal sang with a fucking awesome growl, like Deicide, man that shit was awesome :p:p I was dying in the mosh pit :rolleyes:

Ouch!, you make me remember one of the best concerts that i ever attended!, Death in Santiago back on 1998 when i had just sweet 16 years old, hahaha.

If you were dying in the mosh pit on a tribute concert, can you imagine how i was on that concert?...just look the setlist, was longer than in Eindhoven and L.A.

The Philosopher
Spirit Crusher
Trapped In A Corner
Scavenger Of Human Sorrow
Crystal Mountain
The Flesh And The Power It Holds
Suicide Machine
Together As One
Zero Tolerance
Zombie Ritual
1000 Eyes
Story To Tell
Lack Of Comprehension
Empty Words
Flattening Of Emotions
Bite The Pain
Symbolic
A Moment Of Clarity
Pull The Plug

I still keeping my ticket and a flyer of that magic night on my city.
Just AWESOME.

I found some videos from that concert on youtube, take a look to this video, this was the begining, the camera-man was using a weird slow motion effect, but once they start to play the video starts to looks normal again.
Just look the crowd!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dany: I was there too and it was awesome indeed! That's the whole setlist I believe, 1000 eyes was a total surprise, Chuck had problems syncing his vocals on the chorus of A Moment of Clarity and messed up a little a couple of solos. Besides that, it was incredible.

@Sigurd: Today I'll start to record bass for a project that will release something in the near future, so I don't have much time to give tips right now.

There's something you can do right away:

Preparations:

Make sure that the bass has the correct intonation (check the natural harmonic in the 12th 'fret' the same note pulsed. Fix the bridge if necessary) then tune it.

The shit itself:

if you aren't sure if you're playing in tune, plug the tuner and check the notes one by one until you got the exact tune you need to memorize and the exact place where your finger should be.

Done that, play every note, starting from the low E to the next E. Then repeat the same, letting ring every note. After that, add the next octave and compare it to its lower counterpart. This is a very boring exercise but it MUST be done. do it slowly and let ring the notes so you can check if you're doing it wrong.

Do the same with 5ths, 4ths, major 3rds, minor 3rds and so on.

When I find some time I may write something more useful.

Vids? I don't have a camera to record anything.

@Sigurd: Today I'll start to record bass for a project that will release something in the near future, so I don't have much time to give tips right now.

There's something you can do right away:

Preparations:

Make sure that the bass has the correct intonation (check the natural harmonic in the 12th 'fret' the same note pulsed. Fix the bridge if necessary) then tune it.

The shit itself:

if you aren't sure if you're playing in tune, plug the tuner and check the notes one by one until you got the exact tune you need to memorize and the exact place where your finger should be.

Done that, play every note, starting from the low E to the next E. Then repeat the same, letting ring every note. After that, add the next octave and compare it to its lower counterpart. This is a very boring exercise but it MUST be done. do it slowly and let ring the notes so you can check if you're doing it wrong.

Do the same with 5ths, 4ths, major 3rds, minor 3rds and so on.

When I find some time I may write something more useful.

Vids? I don't have a camera to record anything.

Thks for the tips ;) I'll make these little exercises :D

Ouch!, you make me remember one of the best concerts that i ever attended!, Death in Santiago back on 1998 when i had just sweet 16 years old, hahaha.

If you were dying in the mosh pit on a tribute concert, can you imagine how i was on that concert?...just look the setlist, was longer than in Eindhoven and L.A.

The Philosopher
Spirit Crusher
Trapped In A Corner
Scavenger Of Human Sorrow
Crystal Mountain
The Flesh And The Power It Holds
Suicide Machine
Together As One
Zero Tolerance
Zombie Ritual
1000 Eyes
Story To Tell
Lack Of Comprehension
Empty Words
Flattening Of Emotions
Bite The Pain
Symbolic
A Moment Of Clarity
Pull The Plug

I still keeping my ticket and a flyer of that magic night on my city.
Just AWESOME.

I found some videos from that concert on youtube, take a look to this video, this was the begining, the camera-man was using a weird slow motion effect, but once they start to play the video starts to looks normal again.
Just look the crowd!

Nov 7th 1998 Death in Santiago

Man im so jealous haha, I have a friend who also went to a Death concert, i think it was Eindhoven since he's Dutch, i think their show were amazing and their live performances are fucking awesome, too sad i can't saw them :(
I'm so out of lucky because my favorite musicians / bands are over because their frontman are dead haha, like Windir and Dissection :'/

Fundamentalists don't need a reason to blow anything up but, but Norway deployed troops with NATO in Afghanistan. I thought they were gone a long time ago, but when you're looking to set off explosives to make a name for yourself or just to kill people, you can come up with whatever excuse you want.

Scandinavian countries are already pretty unfriendly to their Middle Eastern populations, so I can imagine the collective cringe from local immigrants at what just happened. Innocent people usually take the heat for shit like this.

Those people from Middle eastern go to Norway or Sweden, they live with the government money and make more childs to receive more money and don't do anything in return..and they want those mesquistas or whatever they call those buildings in the Scandinavian cities they live..imo they don't respect any other different culture and just want to make other people to follow their crazy religion... I think im making a racist commentary but I don't like most part of those people :S they just want to fuck the world and they have a 13th century way to think...

The newest count is 87 killed. I'm actually relieved that it wasn't a person of middle eastern background that did this, it would only cause more xenophobia in Norway,

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/world/europe/24oslo.html?_r=1&hp

It was a Christian fundamentalist afraid of Islam taking over Norway.

So he goes and kills a bunch of Norwegians with a bomb London-style and goes on a Mumbai-style massacre on an island.

Lesson? All fundamentalists are the same exact shit. Islam / Christianity / Communism / Fascism are just the book cover. The pages say the same thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/world/europe/24oslo.html?_r=1&hp

It was a Christian fundamentalist afraid of Islam taking over Norway.

So he goes and kills a bunch of Norwegians with a bomb London-style and goes on a Mumbai-style massacre on an island.

Lesson? All fundamentalists are the same exact shit. Islam / Christianity / Communism / Fascism are just the book cover. The pages say the same thing.

What the... "I'm afraid about islamists bombing my country so to prevent that i will bomb my beloved country myself" that's does not make any sense at all :S But as you said earlier, those crazy people don't need to make any sense too