Alexi and HCDR

American Alexi

Warrior of Modern Death
Dec 19, 2001
Long Island/Rochester, New York
Visit site
I have HCDR, and I like it...a lot. I can't say if I like it better than X album yet, because it's early yet. However, I do like it for different reasons than why I used to like CoB stuff. HCDR is more riff oriented, and heavier. BUT...it has less lead work and flash from Alexi!! :mad: :mad: Sure, it has some good chops here and there, but there aren't really any standout "classic" solos, like Kissing The Shadows, Hatebreeder, Downfall, etc. Know what I mean? A huge reason of why I look forward to new CoB material is to hear what Alexi's leadwork has in store for me...and with HCDR, it's a little void. I'm not saying it's BAD, i'm just saying that it's not a progression from Follow the Reaper. Oh well, the album's still awesome.

Yeah, I know what you mean. On the older albums the band goes into like a 'solo mode' .. you just know a solo is coming up next. On HCDR the solos are written as if they where just other riffs in the song. It's different. I wish they would have made the solos stand out more though.

There really arent any 'outstanding' riffs on hcrd. Instead he made everything progress to make it sound good. Don't get me wrong though, there is some badass lead work. It's just all scattered and mixed around through the song instead of it all being in one spot. Bah! I think im saying this wrong, I know what I mean though damnit! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Stun
Wtf you are gay and lying dude... :) Alexi does his craziest solos ever on this cd, fast -and- slow ones! And Janne's... :eek:

He has his fast moments, yeah...but you're missing what I'm saying. Chainek gets it. The solos aren't really memorable...like an old school Randy Rhoads solo or something...they're just there because he felt it was solo time.

I really like the very classical solo at 1'32" in Lill' Bloored Ridin Hood, as said before, you're not awaiting a solo there, but it just does it ! (But some don't as much, don't remember which ones)
But I also think like american Alexi, it's not a problem that solos are integrated in the songs, but I still don't have found an "ultimate HCDR song" as I did with FTR and Kissing The Shadows, that's what I'm disapointed with in this CD.
I also find some parts are not as good aas the rest, the main exemple is the beginnig of Triple Corpse Hammerblow (btw, check out my outstanding tab http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68224 :lol: ), which is awesome, but the next part, just after the beginning, is almost bad compared to that great song start.

That isn't really a solo in Lil etc etc... and I'm listening to Triple Corpse Hammerblow right now and it fuckin rocks start to finish, especially the solos.

It's all opinion, I fucking love ever solo on this cd. It's the most amazing piece of music to ever cross my ears.

I agree with American Alexi. HCDR is awesome, but you can't really compare the lead guitar stuff on that one with Follow the Reaper's. However, I don't say that HCDR is worse than the previous records. It's just different, way different, and that's damn good. You know what guys, I think this record is sheer THRASH !:) (or Deathroll)

I'm kind of undecided about HCDR now. The more I listen to it the more I realize it's missing everything that made me like COB in the first place. When I first heard Hatebreeder, I was completly amazed. Hell, I ran around the house trying to think of people to call to tell them about it. It totally blew my mind.

HCDR is missing something.. and I can't figure out what it is. There is nothing on it that I want to learn how to play. :(

Originally posted by chainek
HCDR is missing something.. and I can't figure out what it is. There is nothing on it that I want to learn how to play. :(

It's missing sweep-picking:)

It's also missing a lot of the little "twiddly" bits that used to fill CoB music, and solos that are in the right key, and classically-inspired riffs. In short, it's Slayer with keyboards. Don't get me wrong, Slayer are a good band, but CoB aren't a good Slayer. Discuss.:)

i have to agree with american alexi in some points. the first thing i recognized when listening to the new album, was that the leads are missing a bit. on ftr there were leads throughout most songs. and now there are much more riff orientated songs, and many parts with no guitar leads at all.

but even though i miss the melodies a bit, i love the new album. most of the riffs are great, the vocals are great, and the solos are great and even more melodic.

I thik that this album the most catching song is Needled 24/7....but especially Angels Don´t Kill and Lil´ Bloodred Ridin´ Hood are so fuckin´ cool songs that you must love this album because just these three songs....only the Slayer cover is somehing I can´t stand.....\m/

Hmm. Just thought of another interesting question:

Do you guys have the normal release or the other version with Silent Scream, copy protect and the cpu link to the Needled 24/7 video.......??????

am I the only idiot not having the new album yet?!?
can I order it somewhere from germany? anybody knows?
it will take a while till it'S released over here (as far as I know) but I hardly can wait....

But I already expected some kind of change there. those of you, who know the sinergy albums might have noticed a clear change in songwriting and especially solos during THAB and SBMS.
Alexi is still developing his skills and i changing his style.
that's something good I think. stagnation is always a step back IMO.

i'm not very happy with the slayer cover either. i'm not the biggest fan of thrash metal, and this song sounds very thrashy to me.... (correct me if i'm wrong :) )

the solos of lil' bloodred and angels don't kill are really very cool. expecially the one from angels don't kill. because it has a cool melody and it's a bit slower than cob average. maybe i can play this one :D

but i think in the long term, i'll like hatebreeder and follow the reaper better, because they just have more grreat melodies and solos (i'm a little melodie freak....)

but lets wait and see. i didn't listen to hatecrew long enough to judge it as better or worse as the other albums