Alexi passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tales from the depths of lake Bodom pt 22

After we had met @chriscobracole , our publicist @themattlarsen made sure we would be able to hang with Chris as often as we would be around.

After recording Relentless Reckless with the awesome Matt Hyde @northvineinc and Chris Rakestraw @yeoldraker we had to choose the single to shoot video for. We were balancing between Shovel Knockout and Was It Worth It? The first one being a song that has strong traditional Bodom melodies, fast complicated verse and a simple powerful chorus. Was It Worth It? on the other hand is far from the traditional Bodom sound, very simple structure and slow in tempo.

We ended up choosing the latter. Our manager at the time @pauljosephconroy had the idea to have pro skaters do crazy stuff in the video. It was 2010 and were touring USA at the time and one of the off days we drove to @woodwardcamp in Pennsylvania to meet up with @tomasta@garretthill Hill, Chris Cole and @jamiethomas Thomas. The director @reelrage Resteghini welcomed us to the site with hugs and told that most of the skater parts had been shot the day before and today would be the band ‘s day. We would start working right away, and luckily we could witness some crazy skateboarding while shooting our parts.

Who is the all time best skater in your opinion? Tag him/her in comments!

Copy the link to the video here

VoRDVRU.jpg

Tales from the depth of lake Bodom pt 23

After our sixth album “Blooddrunk” we had some pressure from management and label to try an American producer for our seventh album. It was organised so that on a US tour supporting Blooddrunk we had met with a bunch of amazing legendary producers and chose Matt Hyde to team up with on our next album. In 2010 Matt then came to Finland to hang with us and inspect our demo recording habits and also drove up to Petrax Studio in Hollola with Janne to inspect the studio. When it came time to start the session Matt arrived with his recording assistant engineer Chris Rakestraw. As far as we know Chris had never ventured outside his home country of the United States of America previous to this session and we were delighted to have him over in Hollolan Kirkonkylä, a beautiful little situation outside of the town of Hollola with a population of approximately 560. We were all amazed how well Chris and Matt adapted to the rural Finnish countryside studio. This has to be due to the hospitality of Tiina and Petri over at Petrax. They are absolutely world class hosts and soon Matt was fully embracing the Finnish culture warming up the wood burning sauna twice a day once in the morning and then after the sessions for the day had ended.

We were all curious to how different working with the Americans would be but in reality apart from a few technical details like drum microphone choices working and recording was not all that different. The session was great fun and when Petri took us to their cabin by a lake nearby and took off and landed an RC plane on the lake Chris named him “Petri, man of the year”.

We asked Matt Hyde what he remembers from this session: “This was one of my all time favorite records to make. Recording with Alexi and Bodom at Petrax was incredible and unforgettable.”

What’s the best track of this record?

WQMOaU6.jpg

Tales from the depths of lake Bodom pt 24.

We have had the privilege to play with big bands, like our childhood heroes Slayer, Halford, Megadeth, Metallica just to name a few. We have also played on the main stage in one of the biggest festivals there is, Wacken Open Air. The main area where you see the main stages fit approximately 80 000 listeners. Correct us if we are wrong.

But when we have been asked what is the biggest crowd we ever played for, the answer is somewhat surprising.

In summer of 2005 we got an interesting offer, to play a support show for a German punk band’s farewell show. We had no idea who they were but our management convinced us to do it anyway.

When we got to the site, we were blown away. They had literally built a festival somewhere between Leipzig and Cottbus.
That weekend this Lausitzring became temporarily one of the 50 most populated cities in Germany.

One stage. They were expecting 120 000 people. And then the next day the same amount of people. And both days sold out. It was the largest open-air show by a German band in history. Supporting bands included us, Motörhead, Machine Head, JBO, In Extremo, Psychopunch, Pro-Pain and the Onkelz cover bands Enkelz and Kneipenterroristen.

When we got on stage, the place was not yet packed. But tens of thousands had already come to enjoy the sun and the beer. While we played more and more people got to the site. Luckily there was maybe thousand (practically just the first row) Bodom fans to make the job little easier for us. Thank you!

Don’t know how many Onkelz fans got into Bodom that night but anyone of you guys saw that show?

1CYnzjp.jpg

UQp7FAq.jpg

I guess those tales from lake Bodom posts are taken from Instagram?
The first few were also posted on Facebook but for some reason they stopped posting them there.

Thank you for sharing them here since I don't have Instagram and would miss them otherwise.

Reactions: COB-666
Yeah, these are from instagram.

" Tales from the depths of lake Bodom pt 25

Alexi was always the main spokesman for the band, especially in concerts. At some point in our career Janne also was given a microphone, for some backing vocals but also for some speaking in between songs. Mostly it was for joking with Alexi. And also to impress with his skills in Japanese and German whenever we would play for those crowds.

Whenever we played in a French or Spanish speaking areas Henkka was often doing some talking in between songs. Alexi really loved that cos that meant he could go to the side of the stage and take a well deserved break from being in the spot light.

“Yeah, I have never been really keen on being in the spotlight or speaking for big crowds, but then again, I love to speak French, since I have studied it since a small kid, and also I enjoy speaking Spanish even though that’s not my strong suit. Anyway I was always very nervous, when going to the center and speak in French, and especially in Spanish cos I’m not that fluent in that. But at the same time I knew people appreciate me talking in their language, no matter how much I would suck at it. And I knew that it was a big deal for Alexi to have a small break at some point during the show too. The best part of it was that I could converse with the crowd for a little while and the rest of our guys had no idea what I was saying. Then they’d just hear me saying the next song and then we go again.“ Henkka remembers after watching this clip shot by @howlinguitars@hellfestopenair 2018. "

I posted it to the "COB interviews", but I also link here.
Interview with Roope!

Man, seeing Roope still like this is just sad. I think the interview should have been in finnish, since Roope's english wasn't exactly fluent when he was in better shape. I don't know what to say about this. I hope he gets his shit together and picks up his guitar again.

It is indeed very sad. Such a talent, wasted.
Wouldnt suprise me if he is also one day Dead from the Alcohol, i really like Roope. :(

" Tales from the depths of lake Bodom pt 26

As we have recently written in one of our newsletters we loved to hang out on the beach. When we were touring we usually tried to have the travel days somewhere nice and luckily many times we were able to park the bus near a beach and that would always mean a good time.

Hate Crew Deathroll European tour with Shadows Fall and Soilwork was our first real headlining tour where we had a bus for ourselves. Hence we could plan the route as we wanted and were able to make a stop on the 12th May 2003 in Narbonne beach in southern France on our way from Bergara to Lyon.

“Me and Jaska we bought these inflatable toys from the local shop. We hit the beach with a few beers, and I was swimming with my dolphin and suddenly it ran away from me. I wanted to go swim after it but someone said that maybe it’s not a good idea. Best advice of the day I must say.

The dolphin drifted away and ended near the local jetty and we saw that some local fisherman got it up from the water. I rushed there there with our sound guy to ask to get it back, but very bluntly the fisherman said:

‘It’s 20€ or otherwise I’ll stab it with my knife’.

Wtf! We grabbed the dolphin from him and told him to f*** off. Actually I brought that dolphin all the way back home to Finland and it was in use for many years after the tour.” says @alexander_kuoppala, he remembers it like it happened yesterday.

#hatecrewdeathroll@soilwork@shadowsfallband@alexander_kuoppala#narbonneplage "

fR8QYpm.jpg

" New for 2021: Alexi Laiho Signature Series - Five New Guitar Models Available from ESP, E-II and LTD
At the end of 2020, which had already been a challenging year for everyone, we received the news that ESP signature artist Alexi Laiho had passed away. This was a terrible blow to many of us at ESP who had grown to become personal friends with this thoughtful, kind, loyal, and incredibly talented guitarist whose impact on modern metal cannot be overstated. Alexi first joined the ESP artist roster in 2002 as an outstanding up-and-coming musician, and by 2006, we’d introduced our first Alexi Laiho Signature Series guitars.
Over the year previous to his death, we’d been working closely with Alexi on the creation of the first new models to add to his Signature Series in more than seven years. Alexi was very excited about these new guitars, which he helped design in conjunction with ESP, and he’d already begun using his new ESP Custom Shop models in recording and live shows with his band Bodom After Midnight. It was very important to him that we also offer these new models in our LTD Signature Series, providing a more affordable option for guitarists and fans all over the world.
Alexi’s prominence as one of the most important figures in guitar playing continues with these five new additions to his Signature Series. These new models are all guitars that both honor Alexi Laiho’s legacy and allow his tremendous musical influence to continue on players of today and tomorrow.
These new guitars are immediately available for preorders. See more in the Musamaailma webshop:
https://www.musamaailma.fi/en/kitar...Jl88SS2ikiwNbo-qFvdlTjj8pG_hr2eD9O7Olzgh-pNis "

241069309_307798034479583_4208146667412773227_n.jpg

241466393_307798124479574_5072850158155922107_n.jpg

241065946_307798037812916_2378899051813029257_n.jpg

241419827_307798004479586_2895933715510096598_n.jpg

" Somewhere in Finland, in the end of the nineties, most likely on our way to some show.
Janne showing off with his banana.
That phone was “the coolest thing”, especially with those hand painted covers.

Filmed by @alexander_kuoppala "

" Tales from the depths of lake Bodom pt 27

As a term, ”Hate Crew” was initially used to describe the band and the road crew. When Alexi started to address the crowd every night as the Hate Crew of whichever city or country we happened to be in the term really got a whole new meaning. We think it also started to describe the great feeling of togetherness when the band and the crowd were both performing to the max. That magical intense short period of time when we all come together and belong to the Hate Crew.

“I have taken many pictures of Hate Crews around the world from the stage, pictured here is the Hate Crew of Kaisaniemi, Finland on 23rd of August 2019.” Janne adds.

Can you find yourself in there, or any one you know?
#hatecrew "

QVoqTLl.jpg

hmm... this is interesting, I like it : )

" Children Of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet (Vocals Only) "

-----------------------------------

" Tales from the depths of lake Bodom pt 28

In 2003 we performed at the 17th annual South by Southwest Music Festival (SXSW), held Mar. 12-16 in Austin, Texas. We flew in for that one show, without really knowing what was going on. It was our second show in USA ever. The owner of Spinefarm records Riku Pääkkönen traveled with us making sure that all the important people would show up and see us live. Of course we would have to play a set that would convince Americans.

For us seeing Austin during SXSW was mind blowing. We had never been to Texas before and we had no idea that there would be this kind of huge party all over the capital city. Right when we landed and loaded our gear to the taxi the falling trunk of the taxi hit Janne’s face making a big wound in his nose. He wore sunglasses the whole trip after that. And pitchers of strawberry margaritas.

Now we had to ask Riku what he remembers from that trip:

“I remember it was a shock when we got to the venue, an empty room located far from the city center, where all the fuzz was.
First of all I didn’t think anyone would show up, and secondly there was no local gear so that the guys could have adapters for their gear. It was really close that the show would have been an acoustic one, but luckily some other Finnish acts came to help and the boys got their gear powered up just in time. It was a big lesson for everybody how things are done in the States where there is no tavastias.“

Is there anyone here who saw the show? How was it? We can’t really remember…

memory by @sxsw
photo by @alexander_kuoppala
quote from @rikupaakkonen "

OqK1jGn.jpg

" Hate Crew Deathroll was the first album we started touring the world extensively with. We would play our first bigger shows on our own. We would get opening slots for huge bands. From the very beginning of the HCDR tour we had our HCDR backdrop with us. It toured with us everywhere, even though not all venues were suitable for hanging it for the show. The image in the drop is simple and iconic, the band name is up and the cropped reaper in the middle. This big piece of cloth has been stored in our warehouse, for years now.

In certain cultures, when warriors were buried with their swords, the swords were melted and forged into circles. By doing so the community secured the precious piece of metal; it would be worthless for the possible tomb raiders. "

M5kQ7Si.jpg

" Touring is usually constructed around one album cycle, and that cycle usually contains too many shows to remember them all. Inside the band we still use tours as time periods instead of years. Memories are often bound to a certain tour: if you cannot remember the year, just google the tour and there you have it.

Everything on stage, we as a band and the whole setup, represent a certain album and our music of that time period. One very essential part of the show is the backdrop and it also serves as a clue of what tour/year is in question: if we find a picture of us on stage with a certain backdrop we can somehow figure out or remember the venue and the tour we were on. That usually opens the gates of memories. Some of them are funny, some are sad, some are bitter or hilarious. Whatever they may be, we were five guys and did this together.

Hate Crew Deathroll album cycle was crazy. Such big things happened to us. We started to tour in the US and that was a whole new territory to us. Years back then were so wild and hectic that it is really hard to remember everything. We weren’t even 25 and got to see so many places in the world. That cycle took 3 years from us but definitely was worth it.

The backdrop from that tour has been laying in our warehouse since 2005 but obviously we didn’t want to throw it away. It is like a piece of furniture in your grandma’s place. If it could talk it could tell you so many weird, funny and amazing stories you wouldn’t believe or so hilarious that you would pee in your pants if you heard them.

When we quitted touring we started to think what to do with all the gear we have at the warehouse. Should we put them on auction or recycle them somehow? We started to think it would be cool if many people would enjoy them somehow. We ended up sharing the HCDR backdrop in a way that as many as possible would get part of it. To get part of the stories or history from that period of the band.

Memories grow sweeter with time, they say.

https://store.cobhc.com/products/legacy-tee-hcdr-backdrop "

" Legacy t-shirt in 100% organic cotton. This limited edition shirt is individually numbered from 1 to 300 to certificate the authenticity. The reaper and “Children Of Bodom” in front of the shirt are in the same colors and dimensions as in the original Hate crew deathroll backdrop, which toured with us 3 years on venues. Venue locations and dates where the backdrop has travelled with us are printed on the back. Each shirt comes with an authenticity letter signed by Jaska, Henkka and Janne.

On the sleeve it has a piece of the actual Hate Crew Deathroll backdrop with a Legacy seal print.

In certain cultures, when warriors were buried with their swords, the swords were melted and forged into circles. By doing so the community secured the precious piece of metal; it would be worthless for the possible tomb raiders. It remains to be seen if this is the “heaviest” T- shirt you will ever wear. "

bodom-3-copy.png

bodom19938.jpg

bodom19930.jpg

bodom19966.jpg

legacy-hcdr-certf-photo1.png

It would be nice to get one, but 75€... : / And it will definitely be sold out soon...

Last edited:
Ah, fuck... I bought one. THE Hate Crew Deathroll backdrop... I could not miss it. (and I don't have any autographs from COB...)

Was there this much merch before Aleksi's death? Looks like business is blooming for the ex-hatecrew

But hey.

Fc0wk6M.jpg

2020. Alexi has died dec. 26. 2020. So maybe Alexi knew and agreed with this thing.

The band parted ways after the Helsinki Icehall gig on December 15th 2019. The rest of the guys kept the COB name and rights. The new webshop only opened the day before Alexi died.

The band parted ways after the Helsinki Icehall gig on December 15th 2019. The rest of the guys kept the COB name and rights. The new webshop only opened the day before Alexi died.

And what about the masks? This was a new picture with Alexi.

rajaus5-purple.jpg

Couldn't there have been some collaboration between them? Either way, some of those plans may have been born before Alexi died.

Reactions: Works0fheart
Status
Not open for further replies.