All time favorite album

this is only at the moment but...

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (just amazing)
Metallica - Master of Puppets ( first metal album i ever brought, it changed my life.)
Opeth - Still Life (speaks for itself)
The Beatles - Sgt Peppers (i could not go on a single second without knowing i was going to hear A Day in the Life again)

i too have been listening to a lot of faith no more, angel dust and king for a day are fantastic albums.

^yeah, Sgt Pepper is great. I like Abbey Road a bit more, though.

But Honestly, any Beatles record can be in a "best of" list.

its a really hard question, there is a lot of great albums, my favorites are: iron maiden the number of the beast, iron maiden- fear of the dark,opeth-blackwater park, led zeppelin IV,black sabbath-paranoid,the first four metallica albums, slayer-reign in blood and many more.

BTW im new [=

Ok excluding all classical stuff, i've narrowed it down to :
In The Woods - Omnio
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Opeth - Still Life
Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing your Fame

Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane/TPE1, I can't pick a favorite of the two since TPE1 has more interesting music and Remedy Lane has far stronger lyrics and the really good songs are better than those on TPE. Too bad they had to turn into Shit Sandwich on their last album.

Opeth - MAYH, Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk, Glassjaw - Everything you Ever Wanted to Know About Silence and Novembre - Novembrine Waltz get honorable mentions.

ooh i just remembered another favorite of mine.

Faith No More- Angel Dust

it just doesn't get much better than this.

Faith no More crushes, The Real Thing and AD are flawless...i just don't like anything before or after those albums. The pre-Patton shit is lame, King for a day isn't very interesting and Album of the Year is disgusting(yeah i hate it).

Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane/TPE1, I can't pick a favorite of the two since TPE1 has more interesting music and Remedy Lane has far stronger lyrics and the really good songs are better than those on TPE. Too bad they had to turn into Shit Sandwich on their last album.

I agree that these albums are pure gold, maybe full of soap opera yearning and cheese...but i don't care. I love how the band borrows a bit from the Faith no More groove and make it something completely of their own. The emotion of ''Ending Theme'' is thrilling, especially those clean guitar riffs during the verses. Their Waltzy or piano-driven tracks also me cum, like Fandango, Her Voices, and Morning on Earth. I don't really remember one single song from those two albums that i dislike tbh...they are so varied musically...i was listening to ''A Trace of Blood'' the other day and it reminded me of fucking Van Halen(the intro at least).
Also, the guitar playing on Ashes and In the Flesh is simply beautiful, seriously. PoS is completely hated by most on this board, but they used to be really good in the past...and after releasing the rotten testicle called scarshit i'm quite skeptical about a decent future album.

The bridge sections on King of Loss and In the Flesh are probably the most orgasmically beautiful passages I've ever heard in prog metal. Opeth has their moments but nothing they've ever done matches up to that. And there are so many things like that I can think of instantly that just blow me away every time, like the outro of Dryad of the Woods, the guitar solo on Beyond the Pale, the chorus on morning on earth/reconciliation, the bizarre floaty feeling maintained throughout Waking Every God, etcetcetc. God I fucking love those albums.

Part of the reason why I like them so much is because they're mindblowingly technical without sounding gimmicky 90% of the time, like the time sig changes might be hella fukk but if you read the lyrics it seems like the music was written straight to them instead of some start-stop unnatural piece of crap like say Dream Theater's "Dance of Eternity" or basically anything Spiral Architect ever did. "Dedication" is one of the most amazingly composed clean ballads I've ever heard, and when I actually looked at the way it was written and realized it was constantly shifting to like 17/16 and 7/8 I was just amazed, it sounds so incredibly smooth and natural when you listen to it. The rare parts that are pretty much just technical wanking like the very beginning of idioglossia sounds badass enough that it's excused too :cool:

And yeah daniel gildenlow seems to have gone off the deep end, BE has some good songs and I don't really HATE anything on it but it was a gigantic step down in quality, and scarsick really truly was terrible. It wasn't a disappointment thing alone, it is actaully a terrible album. ;_;

PoS are (were) great! I even think Daniel is a better songwriter (at times) than Mikael, though I like Opeth way more. PoS can be so cheesy and, in lack of a better word... gay, I really can't listen to them all the time. For me, BE was actually very good, one of their best. And I agree that scarsick was a huge stinking pile of crap.

kid a is likely my favorite album ever. that or foxtrot.

and pain of salvation has moments of greatness. but sometimes they get a bit cheesy for my tastes. I think daniel when he wants to be is probably the best singer in the prog metal genre. in terms of pure singing talent. I like mikey more overall, but i think you guys know what i mean.

i've seen gildenlöw live, too. and it's also apparent in POS' albums, too. he is wasting too much energy to show off his vocal talent. all those high-pitched vox, screams and that...it's just too much. just shut up for a minute and let the music breathe goddamit

i've seen gildenlöw live, too. and it's also apparent in POS' albums, too. he is wasting too much energy to show off his vocal talent. all those high-pitched vox, screams and that...it's just too much. just shut up for a minute and let the music breathe goddamit

There are some unnecessary wails and such on their earlier stuff, and sometimes he goes out of control on TPE1 (ex Used) but imo none of the vocals on remedy lane are tasteless at all if you take them in the context of the lyrics. Everything he does on that album fits perfectly. He was the best vocalist in metal, hands down. Not to mention somehow his guitar solos on that album seem to continue the lyrics, ex "This Heart of Mine" and "Second Love" - I've never heard guitar solos that sounded like they were progressing the emotions of the song instead of just functioning as an interlude besides on that album >:p But hey, there I go gushing again. Best albums ever.