All you need to know about Finnish language...

Originally posted by _A_SCARLET_SUNSET_

:eek: allright... now i know that i really need a photo camera on any eventual finland holiday ;)

After reading BurningAngel's comment you'll have to think that over again, wontcha? :p

Well... if I went to finland and took my shorts off... people would CERTAINLY stare at me... especially the women! :D :cool:

It's like stormblast say:

"dude, all you gotta do is go to a eastern europe/nordic country and say 'YO SOY LATINO!!!' and women will fall from the sky!"

aeuheaueahuah :lol:

hehe cool thread... I'm thinking about studying in a foreign country. Because my A-level's gonna be pretty bad (damn lazyness :p), I try to look around where I can study what I want, yeah and I'm gonna be assiduous haha. :) So as far as I've seen, holland's universities don't assume a numerus clausus (you call that nc, too?) in nearly all subjects. Good, but pretty expensive there... In summer I did a crash-course in swedish. Apart from that I found out, studying in Sweden is for free(?). But I guess the numeri clausi there are higher than here in Germany. So what about Finland? A country I like also, not only because of metal ;) Do you have any information about that? I'm interested in (dipl.) informatics espacially.

ah and something about the grammar: swedish is no problem... to Germans it seems like a mixture of English and German (apart from the definite articles i.e.), 'cause both derives from Germanic. But I heard about a totally different grammar in finnougric (right in english? hehe) languages, supposed to be very hard to learn.... I heard of ~13 (ugh..) cases in declension, is that right? Can't believe that...

will somebody correct the my finnish signature?

its supposed to say "the cheese is old and moldy. where is the bathroom?" its a quote from an american movie called Encino Man

i used a english-finnish online dictionary, thats probably why it sounds so stupid

Its like this:
The cheese is old and moldy=Se juusto on vanha ja homeinen.
Where is the bathroom= Missä on kylpyhuone?

Originally posted by locutos
So what about Finland? A country I like also, not only because of metal ;) Do you have any information about that? I'm interested in (dipl.) informatics espacially.

(clip)

But I heard about a totally different grammar in finnougric (right in english? hehe) languages, supposed to be very hard to learn.... I heard of ~13 (ugh..) cases in declension, is that right? Can't believe that...

Well, studying in universities here is basically free. You have to pay for the membership of the student organization which costs about 100 euros per year, but there's no other mandatory costs (well, living expenses of course). There usually is some requirements to enter university (like certain grades in certain subjects), but I don't know about foreign students, they might get in anyway.

About the declensions, there's actually 15 if you count the plural forms too :D :
http://www.uta.fi/~km56049/finnish/words/suomalainen.html
Then there's verb conjugations too...

I haven't stopped by in a long time (waaaaaay too busy with school and work), but coming back so feels like home to me. You guys are great. :)

Originally posted by Voice of God
Well, studying in universities here is basically free. You have to pay for the membership of the student organization which costs about 100 euros per year, but there's no other mandatory costs (well, living expenses of course). There usually is some requirements to enter university (like certain grades in certain subjects), but I don't know about foreign students, they might get in anyway.

About the declensions, there's actually 15 if you count the plural forms too :D :
http://www.uta.fi/~km56049/finnish/words/suomalainen.html
Then there's verb conjugations too...

thx so far, I'm gonna inform myself more intensive then :)

ah I see.... 13 in singular, 15 in plural. God... you Finns must have huge brains :D About that example on that page: so you put definite articles and nouns to one word as the Swedes - undefinite articles aswell? I know from Turks that they don't have any stand-alone articles. Hm conjugation can't be harder than in German, I hope you don't have more than 8 conjugated forms (incl. singular and plural imperative forms), but I'm not to sure about that when I look at the declension hehe ;)

Hmm... AFAIK finnish language doesn't have any articles and I'm not sure how I should count the conjugated forms but quickly I thought up 15 different forms for a verb but some of them are probably for other reasons than verb conjugations :D . But I'm not too good at grammar, maybe someone else can say more...

ah no I don't want to know that complicated things, just some basics :)
hm 15 forms? In conjugation, too?! :err: hehe... can Finnish verbs show the noun's gender? In a way like French? I can imagine that'd fit. Or is it another reason?
hm... is there an example for conjugation on that page either (I don't understand anything on the homepage ;))? Or could you post one? Maybe for 'to go'?

Sorry for my stupid questions. But now I'm curious :>

edit: ah I mean persons AND genders, since German verbs only show the person, which is said by the pronoun/noun anyway....

Originally posted by locutos
ah no I don't want to know that complicated things, just some basics :)
hm 15 forms? In conjugation, too?! :err: hehe... can Finnish verbs show the noun's gender? In a way like French? I can imagine that'd fit. Or is it another reason?
hm... is there an example for conjugation on that page either (I don't understand anything on the homepage ;))? Or could you post one? Maybe for 'to go'?

Finnish words have no gender, but there's million suffixes you can add to a word so there's lots of different forms.

There was at least this: http://www.uta.fi/~km56049/finnish/words/haluta.html page for verb conjugation.

cb20021205.jpg

:lol::rolleyes:

Great topic :) sorry to bring it back up again but I have a request..

Could someone please translate "you are the melodie from my favorite song" in finnish :)

Im trying to learn some finnish but it's pretty difficult