All you need to know about Finnish language...

Profanity said:
That's because the Swedish finished you off in a war. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wtf?

EDIT: I got it now :lol: I'm such a dumbhead

But I didn't mean that idiotic joke... :lol: I meant that finnish words are pronounced exactly how they're writte :loco:

damn delicious said:
im dying to learn some finnish, can anyone reccomend some books or tapes that are out there?

problem is that there aren't any. it's really damn hard to learn finnish on your own. I would say it's nearly impossible. do it like tal (fenrir) and move there or do it like me and study it ;)

Rocksane said:
How we say You're Better Off Dead, In Your Face, Fuck off, He's Sexy As Hell, Evil Ladies and I'm fucking stoned and drunk... in finnish?

You're Better Off Dead = Sulla menee paremmin kuolleena.
Fuck off = Painu vittuun
He's Sexy As Hell = Hän on helvetin seksikäs
Evil Ladies = Pahat leidit
I'm fucking stoned and drunk = Mä olen ihan vitun umpikännissä

Missery said:
problem is that there aren't any. it's really damn hard to learn finnish on your own. I would say it's nearly impossible. do it like tal (fenrir) and move there or do it like me and study it ;)

a couple of years ago I bought a book with to tapes from Hodder & Stoughton, by Terttu Leney. It's that "finnish for begginers" amongs the collection called "teach yourself".

I tried it once but I feld like an idiot trying to speak Finnish... although it's not so bad if you speak italian.. but i agree, it's very hard to learn it on your own. of course, the beginners book won't bring you too far, but that's not the point. people like me have to solve another problem first which is sitting down and learn something in your spare time and stop thinking about beer and cigarettes. especially from march to october, when it's so sunny and you can go out at any time and always find people around and nice terrasses where you can spend hours talking about god and the world and...

well... such a mess!!

I am a language idiot. (We have to take French here and I passed with a 51%!)

But I was wondering...I tried searching the web a bit and didn't find much. But does everyone (or almost everyone) speak English in Finland aswell as Finnish? And they speak Spanish also from what I read?

Also, could someone quickly explain how the accents above the letters work? Like in French they change if it is a long or short A and stuff (I think:ill: ) Or just any other noobish stuff for me.
I would love to visit Finland and learn the language. But I find translations do nothing for me. So...yea. How to pronounce things would be awesome...And I am sorry if this is a bit of a re-peat post, I read though most of the topic...but ya know, eventually you just want to post your question after reading so many pages. ;)

Oh, and I am new here!:wave:

Mistress_Metal said:
I am a language idiot. (We have to take French here and I passed with a 51%!)

But I was wondering...I tried searching the web a bit and didn't find much. But does everyone (or almost everyone) speak English in Finland aswell as Finnish? And they speak Spanish also from what I read?

Finns do learn English in school from very early on. That's why most of us understand it adequately at least. Spanish, well I don't know about that... :tickled:

Mistress_Metal said:
I would love to visit Finland and learn the language. But I find translations do nothing for me. So...yea. How to pronounce things would be awesome...And I am sorry if this is a bit of a re-peat post, I read though most of the topic...but ya know, eventually you just want to post your question after reading so many pages. ;)

I suggest that you attend some classes to learn Finnish. It is a very good idea because there the teacher can explain and demonstrate how to pronounce different words and phrases correctly. Well, here is something: Finnish pronunciation

Hey guys,:wave:
i'm fairly new to this board and thought this thread was really interesting. I'm learning Japanese at the moment (but i'm a bit crap and really need to motivate myself more!:erk: ) and would like to learn a few phrases and so on in some of the Scandinavian languages too.
The other thing is, if somebody has quite a bit of spare time, could someone tell me what any of Ajattara's lyrics on the Kuolema album mean? (Kuolema means death, right? Is it pronounced Koo-oh-lay-ma? :confused: ). Here's a link to a site with all the lyrics on:
http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/ajattara/kuolema.html#1

Cheers!!!

Lolss... Meittu o ite Dallasissa nytte, ois ihanaa viiä jenkkejä suomeen paleltummaa:D mut eikaissiinä... Yeah, its a real Heavy metal language, yall should check out Finnish metal bands like Ajattara and Kotiteollisuus... they sing in finnish

Raistlin Majere said:
i cant be arsed to browse a whole 38 pages but i need to know whats said on the oops i did it agen thing. can sumone help me?

somebody said:
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Oh yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

I think I did it again
I made you believe we're more than just friends
Oh baby
It might seem like a crush
But it doesn't mean that I'm serious
'Cause to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me
Oh baby, baby

[Chorus]
Oops!... I did it again
I played with your heart, got lost in the game
Oh baby, baby
Oops!... You think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

You see my problem is this
I'm dreaming away
Wishing that heroes, they truly exist
I cry, watching the days
Can't you see I'm a fool in so many ways
But to lose all my senses
That is just so typically me

[Chorus]
Oops!... I did it again
I played with your heart, got lost in the game
Oh baby, baby
Oops!... You think I'm in love
That I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

[Alexi Laiho and Janne Warman speakin' Finnish - here is an English translation]
Alexi: "Hey guys, I will really go now..."
Janne: "Before you leave, look what I brought for you!"
Alexi: "Goddammit, looking good, isn't this a...?"
Janne: "Yeah yeah, sixpack yes."
Alexi: "Ohh, this wasn't necessary my friend... and besides, we are having some booze here..."
Janne: "I know, but this is for tomorrow morning!"

Oops!...I did it again
I've played with your heart, got lost in this game, oh baby, baby
Oops!...You think I'm in love, that I'm sent from above
I'm not that innocent

Okei aleksille vähän puhuttavaa tässä, kesällä vois lähteä amsterdamiin poltteleen vähän kamaa ja muuta tavaraa unohtamatta tietenkään kuningas alkoholia. tarjoot sitten mulle paukut tequilaa. =D