All you need to know about Finnish language...

Boy, do I NOT want to be close when life hits you in the face.

Unfortunately, life already hit me in the face :( That's why I want to move to FI as fast as possible :( In fact, you don't know me and that's why you think that studying this is impossible- well, not for me, sorry :) You don't like it- don't study it.

Hey Leandro, tú eres español, no?

I never said it would be impossible. But you said learning it perfectly in a year -- that, sorry, is not possible. The sooner you realize it, the better. It will save you much frustration.

And nope, I don't even speak the language. Never felt the need to...

I'm actually Brazilian.

I never said it would be impossible. But you said learning it perfectly in a year -- that, sorry, is not possible. The sooner you realize it, the better. It will save you much frustration.

And nope, I don't even speak the language. Never felt the need to...

I'm actually Brazilian.

Well, than it would be a little bit difficult for me to explain it to you..
However, we're taking 4 units in one day, tons of homework, exercises etc. That's the way you study a language in BG. I'm in a Spanish high school and we had only 1 year to learn Spanish perfectly and guess what- all of us did it- only 1 year and now I speak Spanish fluently. Learning a language this fast isn't impossible. In fact, it's interesting.
The one and only good thing about BG is that the teaching of languages is awesome! So I wasn't joking about speaking in fluently after 1 year :)

I understand it, I sound retarded when I try to speak it. So feel free -- although I'd probably dispute your notion of "fluent"

But in any case, Spanish is an Indo-European language just like Bulgarian -- from the Romance branch and not the Slavic branch, but it's the same general structure. For example, most Indo-European languages have synthetic verb systems (English is periphrasic but still somewhat synthetic, there's still an inflected past tense, etc). Finnish is agglutinative and has 15 noun cases whereas most Indo-European languages have but a handful, if at all. Finnish is SOV when most Indo-European languages are SVO, etc etc etc. To think naturally in this way requires some serious brain rewiring that would be very difficult to accomplish in one year.

We took those 15 noun cases in only 1 day- they are not that difficult as it sounds. In fact, that's probably the easiest part of their grammar :)
Sure, the Spanish structure and the Finnish structure are totally different and personally I find the Finnish one more difficult, but I have a friend from Norway and she said that Finnish is way easier than Spanish :lol: I guess it depends on the person.

Again, in BG they give you 1 year to study a language and then- Adiós.
It's kinda difficult, but not impossible- your brain just needs some time to "change the languages" I remember yesterday, I was writing something in Finnish and I wrote "paljon" as "pályon" :lol: I was just thinking in Spanish. Sometimes it gets a big wish- wash in your head, but it's totally worth it :D

True. There are people from foreign countries everywhere in Finland. Most of them even can't speak Finnish fluently.

I hear you brother! We have them here ... with no jobs, don't know the language and living off our welfare.

As for Bulgarians most tend to only stay for the short term, pick our pockets, skim our ATM's to fund their visits then leave cashed up to do the same in the next country.

True!

:lol:

s

Yeah, we have a lot of immigrants who can't even speak Finnish fluently either. The nerve!

It always ends up in talking English anyway... I guess it's ok to learn "some" Finnish, but I'd recommend using the time and energy for something more useful. Most Finns already know more English than a foreigner will ever know Finnish. It's better to speak English than Finglish.

Therefore, all of us who wanna learn Finnish should come to Finland. :worship:

Been there, dont want to move there (though its a beautiful place and I like the sound of the language). Helsinki was most disappointing though.

True. There are people from foreign countries everywhere in Finland. Most of them even can't speak Finnish fluently.

I guess that applies to any country. Here are some people that can't and don't want to speak a single German word. But whatever, that's rarely the case and one shouldnt generalise.

Oulu is pretty nice, too. It's bad, that in most of the countries the capital is the most disappointing place. :(

I guess that applies to any country. Here are some people that can't and don't want to speak a single German word. But whatever, that's rarely the case and one you shouldnt generalise.
Yeah, I shouldn't. There was one turkish family living in this town and they all could speak perfect Finnish, except the father of the family had turkish accent. In fact I've never seen a foreigner who can't speak Finnish with my own eyes but I know that big cities like Helsinki have them all over the place.