Am I the only person here who hates....

I LOVE To Bid You Farewell, but I do think overall Morningrise is pretty disappointing. It may just be the fact that I can't sit through any of the songs on it other than TBYF and Advent, but I just don't think there's much to it.

To Bid You Farewell is an incredible song and you couldn't possibly call it cheesy as there are no real musical cliches in there at all, it is unique and individual, i can't think of other bands that would write a song like To Bid You Farewell.

BRI, i'm not 100% hot hot hot for it, but it's not bad.

Iblys said:
To Bid You Farewell is an incredible song and you couldn't possibly call it cheesy as there are no real musical cliches in there at all.

Whispered: "She wept and whispered...'I Know'"

:Smug:

Why do you think Mike didn't sing that line on the Damnation tour when they played To Bid...???

BRI is the only song I've EVER disliked by Opeth...... and it was that way for couple of years at least.

It comes good eventually though, and when I say it 'comes good'....I mean it COMES GOOD! :D

I think BRI is a song on it's own really, as is the whole Morningrise album. It's much heavier and more raw than most other work by Opeth. But it's great nonetheless. If you ask me BRI is Opeth's best song. The bass-loops in the beginning are great and unique, I can't think of another Opeth song in which the bass stands out that much. The building to a climax at half-way to just fade away and be replaced by a dreamy voice and a funny sound-bite. And then build to another climax which ends in a great guitar part, similar to the ending of IMSWS. Altho I do think they could have done better by stopping the song after 15 minutes. They have the perfect ending right there.

But this is definetely one of those songs that have to grow on you. Just play it time after time after time and you'll get into it!

alan3827 said:
I can only feel sorry for you

You got a mad avatar :headbang:

ANyway, back on topic. Black Rose Immortal is a good song but it does need attentive listening, which for me kinda gets lost after he whispers "Black Rose Immortal". But To Bid You Farewell, that's one of the best songs they've released.

Morningrise. The love of this album on this board is obvious. I don't quite get it.
But i see where the long intricate piece fits in.
But Orchid was better for me.
Thats all.

Orchid is much more simplistic. It has a lot less meat on it. I definetely think of Morningrise as the better album. Orchid was a warm-up, on Morningrise they unleash all of their fury without losing control. And if you ask me it is still unmatched.

Perhaps the main reason for me liking it so much is because it was my first Opeth CD... I wouldn't know.