Amaranthe Mechanical Illusion

Forgive me if I'm incorrect here, but isn't the sound of "The Nexus" maybe, possibly the Amaranthe signature sound?

Yes, probably. The same way Iron Savior and AC/DC have a sound. I get tired of Amaranthe the same way I get tired of AC/DC, and The Nexus just follows the same formula as everything on the debut album. There's nothing new, there's no build from their baseline. You can't tell me that Mechanical Illusion doesn't at least show you that fact. Mechanical Illusion takes their sound and evolves it. It makes it into something new, but unmistakably Amaranthien. I hope the new album follows suit in this direction.

Did you complain when Led Zeppelin House of The Holy came out and it sounded like Physical Graffitti?
When Fates Warning came out with Parallels and it was so very similar in style to Perfect Symmetry?

I'm not familiar enough with either of these bands to know what you're talking about.

So... You've never heard of a single that sounds different from the rest of the stuff in the album?

...what? How did you make that jump? I agreed "The Nexus" sounds like everything off of Amaranthe. I said nothing about the forthcoming album.

Yeah - this thread suddenly made me feel "old."

Go listen to Zep 3, when they were "prog". Makes the transition to Zep 4/ZOSO that much more impressive.

And my 9 year old loved Nexus... and the video. He liked the video because he is a Call of Duty; Black Ops fan. I might have other reasons.

Amaranthe took me awhile to warm up to. They weren't an instant love for me. I think they're videos won me over to them as odd as that may sound. They seem to really go "all out" when making them. I also like the way they mix in female, gruff, and clean male vox. Cool band!

~Brian~

That chorus is sexy. Someone said this before, but I think there's nothing wrong with your second CD sounding similar to your first. Especially when you're trying to establish a particular sound or demographic. If the 5th album is the exact same, that's when I would maybe have a problem. Even then, however, you have to be careful of polarizing those who have been with you from the beginning or evolving to a point where you have lost a group of people (see Edguy). I think Sonata Arctica has been fairly successful with this, but there are a large group of their fans who can't get past Unia. Primal Fear, to me, is a good example of a group that kind of knows their boundaries (Seventh Seal) aside and always put out pretty similar stuff, but different enough to be interesting.

Even then, however, you have to be careful of polarizing those who have been with you from the beginning or evolving to a point where you have lost a group of people (see Edguy).

Also see Pain of Salvation. I'm a big-time PoS fanboy, but have to admit that I've only listened to the two Road Salt discs a few times each. They *are* quite good, actually (taken for what they are)....just sound absolutely *nothing* like their first 4 or 5 discs.

I listened to both of them on Friday, back to back...good stuff, but then I listened to The Perfect Element and realized how much I missed their previous (albeit everchanging) style.

Craig

If it makes you feel any better Nailz, I don't listen to Led Zepplin or Fate's Warning either.

24212883.jpg

I got ahold of a promo copy, finally, and wow, this is fantastic. Lightning struck twice, I doubt there will be very many people disappointed with this one! Not much new to speak of, although it sounds like it might be a little heavier on the guitars on first listen.

Although the band plays a little safe on the new record, it's still pure Amaranthe. Great choruses, very very catchy melodies... good album!

The song "Burn With Me" could likely replace "Amaranthine" as their poppiest, catchiest song ever. And just because it's a pop song, doesn't mean it's bad. In fact, it RULES!!!!!