American Gods

Wrathchild

Miserable Bastard
Apr 16, 2001
Enfield, South Australia
Visit site
Just caught up with the first episode. Fuck. Me. Running. After three and a half years in the wilderness and not really watching anything, this is why I still have a TV.

Granted, I love the book. Hard. This makes me an easy sell and perhaps not the best critic, but it's good to be invested in a series again. A familiar feeling brought about by something that's old and new at the same time is very welcome.

If you've not read the book, do so. I sent my Dad a copy for his birthday to add some spice to our frequent theological debates, and he reacted to it almost as powerfully as I did in 2001. This is a story that will stick with you, challenge your views and change you if you allow it to. I urge everyone to experience it on page and/or small screen and let it work its magic.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but it certainly didn't disappoint.

The game plan is for the first two series to adapt the book. Where they'll go from there I've no idea, but I can't imagine they'd do anything without Neil's blessing.

I thought EP 1 was good but a little gratuitous and overly stylized in places. I'm coming in as someone with only a vague understanding of the story, having never read the books, but I was aware that I had to be kind of left a bit in the dark and the story would be revealed to me as the series went on, so it didn't bother me that much that it seemed a little surreal and disjointed.

On the other hand, EP 2 was a hard watch. If you're not invested in the characters, 45 minutes of people making clever comments and playing chess doesn't add up to compelling TV. I'm interested to see where it goes, but if the series continues on this way, it's lost me I'm afraid. :(

I assume another episode has screened. Further thoughts? I'll check it out later in one go if it ends up being a good series.

Still painfully slow and OMG TOTES LE EDGY SCEENS in places that felt a little forced to me, and yet as much as I was barely holding on by the end of the last episode, I'm still interested in watching to see where it leads, at least until the end of this season.

By stark contrast, Karyn is loving it (though admitting it is a little slow at the moment) so take my opinion with various grains of sodium chloride.