Amon Amarths Genre!

Infernium

Unohduksen Lapsi
Oct 14, 2003
Fennia
Visit site
Hello again! I was wondering where to accurately classify Amon Amarth. First of all we all know it's death metal. To go bit deeper, Amon Amarth has been usually classifed as Melodic Death, but it's not really too similar to welll-known melodeath bands. There's alot more brutality and also the missing keyboards wont really support AA being melodeath. So, as we add the brutality in AA would be Brutal Melodic Death Metal? I think that sounds quite accurate. Tell me what you think!

The thing about genres is they are jsut that... Genres (a type or class). I think you're trying to define AA themselves and not their genre.

I was just having this discussion with a friend who was fed up with all these genres. His argument was metal is metal, punk is punk, rock is rock... Whatever. If I walk into a shop and am maybe looking to hear something new, and ask the clerk what he recommends in metal and he hands me the "nu" slipknot album, I'll throw his head through the fucking wall.

That rant aside, you missed out on the lyrical aspect... I think they are Poetic Brutal Melodic Death Metal!

Johnny T. said:
The thing about genres is they are jsut that... Genres (a type or class). I think you're trying to define AA themselves and not their genre.

I was just having this discussion with a friend who was fed up with all these genres. His argument was metal is metal, punk is punk, rock is rock... Whatever. If I walk into a shop and am maybe looking to hear something new, and ask the clerk what he recommends in metal and he hands me the "nu" slipknot album, I'll throw his head through the fucking wall.

That rant aside, you missed out on the lyrical aspect... I think they are Poetic Brutal Melodic Death Metal!

To add the lyrical aspect, we can't forget the Viking style. Poetic Brutal Melodic Viking/Death Metal? Damn, this is starting to sound stupid :D Maybe we should just let it be the Amon Amarth genre as itself.

you know if you actually look, you could almost make an own genre for every band :/
I would classify it as Deathmetal with viking aspects or lyrics, or whatever. Who cares anyway? As long as its not christian deathmetal its fine with me ^^

i don´t think we can put amon amarth into a section, because there are so many things of very different genres.

in my opinion they perform
AMON AMARTH METAL
and nothing else.

We like getting drunk and listening to extreme music:

{D3D4D116-1965-4227-9A4E-1FC0585D69B8}.jpg

I've always called it Viking Metal. But death and black metal can also be Viking metal as well as just standard heavy metal. Viking metal is a nice way of cutting out all the B.S. and making it short and simple.

I like metal with Viking/swords and battles type themes so I don't really care. It's GOOD metal.

Patric, did adam sandler really say that about Type-o? those guys are alot more famous then you would think, i guess.

Ive always thought of amon amarth as melodic death metal with balls, since they dont involve themselves with the keyboards and female vocalists and what not. But then theres the viking aspect, but they had balls too... so....

Viking Melo-Nad-Death metal....i guess...

i've always called it AMON AMARTH

metal genre categorization is so fucked up, everywher eyou go everything is labelled differently, i dont bother. to me its either death ,black, power, or hair. you know, to prevent my brain from exploding.

Suure, Adam Sandler said that about Type O, during some fucked up music documentary called Jews Who Rock and I kid you not.

Patric said:
Suure, Adam Sandler said that about Type O, during some fucked up music documentary called Jews Who Rock and I kid you not.

Thats fuking bizarre. Especially since Peter wrote those songs like Jesus Hitler, Id imagine that kind of shit would get under jews's skin. well, some of them, neway.

just out of curiousity, what do you think of their newer stuff? Im a much bigger fan of carnivore and slow deep and hard era stuff, although their new cd is better then their last two, i think